- Volume 29 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Effects of Supplements with Different Protein Contents on Nutritional Performance of Grazing Cattle During the Rainy Season
- Figueiras, J.F. (Department of Animal Science, Universidade Federal de Vicosa) ;
- Detmann, E. (Department of Animal Science, Universidade Federal de Vicosa) ;
- Franco, M.O. (Department of Animal Science, Universidade Federal de Vicosa) ;
- Batista, E.D. (Institute of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences, Animal Science, Universidade Federal de Mato Grosso - Campus Sinop) ;
- Reis, W.L.S. (Department of Animal Science, Universidade Federal de Vicosa) ;
- Paulino, M.F. (Department of Animal Science, Universidade Federal de Vicosa) ;
- Valadares Filho, S.C. (Department of Animal Science, Universidade Federal de Vicosa)
- Received : 2016.02.16
- Accepted : 2016.03.18
- Published : 2016.12.01
The objective of this study was to evaluate the effects of supplements with different crude protein (CP) contents on grazing cattle intake, digestibility, ruminal fermentation pattern, and nitrogen (N) metabolism characteristics during the rainy season. Five ruminal and abomasal cannulated Holstein
- Batista, E. D., E. Detmann, E. C. Titgemeyer, S. C. Valadares Filho, R. F. D. Valadares, L. L. Prates, L. N. Rennó, and M. F. Paulino. 2016. Effects of varying ruminally undegradable protein supplementation on forage digestion, nitrogen metabolism, and urea kinetics in Nellore cattle fed low-quality tropical forage. J. Anim. Sci. 94:201-216.
- Carvalho, I. P. C., E. Detmann, H. C. Mantovani, M. F. Paulino, S. C. Valadares Filho, V. A. C. Costa, and D. I. Gomes. 2011. Growth and antimicrobial activity of lactic acid bacteria from rumen fluid according to energy or nitrogen source. R. Bras. Zootec. 40:1260-1265. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1516-35982011000600014
- Cecava, M. J., N. R. Merchen, L. C. Gay, and L. L. Berger. 1990. Composition of ruminal bacteria harvest from steers as influenced by dietary energy level, feeding frequency, and isolation techniques. J. Dairy Sci. 73:2480-2488. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(90)78933-3
- Chizzotti, M. L, S. C.Valadares Filho, R. F. D. Valadares, F. H. M. Chizzotti, J. M. S. Campos, M. I. Marcondes, and M. A. Fonseca. 2006. Intake, digestibility and urinary excretion of urea and purine derivatives in heifers with different body weights. R. Bras. Zootec. 35:1813-1821. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1516-35982006000600032
- Costa, V. A. C., E. Detmann, S. C. Valadares Filho, M. F. Paulino, L. T. Henriques, and H. C. Mantovani. 2008. In vitro degradation of low-quality tropical forage neutral detergent fiber according to protein and (or) carbohydrates supplementation. Rev. Bras. Zootec. 37:494-503. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1516-35982008000300015
- Costa, V. A. C., E. Detmann, M. F. Paulino, S. C. Valadares Filho, L. T. Henriques, I. P. C. Carvalho, and T. N. P. Valente. 2011a. Intake and rumen dynamics of neutral detergent fiber in grazing cattle supplemented with non-protein nitrogen and, or true protein during the rainy season. R. Bras. Zootec. 40:2805-2814. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1516-35982011001200027
- Costa, V. A. C., E. Detmann, M. F. Paulino, S. C. Valadares Filho, I. P. C. Carvalho, and L. P. Monteiro. 2011b. Intake and digestibility in cattle under grazing during rainy season and supplemented with different sources of nitrogenous compounds and carbohydrates. R. Bras. Zootec. 40:1788-1798. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1516-35982011000800024
- Costa, V. A. C., E. Detmann, M. F. Paulino, S. C. V. Valadares Filho, L. T. Henriques, and I. P. C. Carvalho. 2011c. Total and partial digestibility and nitrogen balance in grazing cattle supplemented with non-protein and, or true protein nitrogen during the rainy season. R. Bras. Zootec. 40:2815-2826. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1516-35982011001200028
- Detmann, E., M. F. Paulino, J. T. Zervoudakis, S. C. Valadares Filho, R. P. Lana, and D. S. Queiroz. 2001. Supplementation of crossbred steers during the rainy season: ingestive and digestive parameters. R. Bras. Zootec. 30:1340-1349. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1516-35982001000500030
- Detmann, E., M. A. Souza, S. C. Valadares Filho, A. C. Queiroz, T. T. Berchielle, E. O. S. Saliba, L. S. Cabral, D. S. Pina, M. M. Ladeira, and J. A. G. Azevedo. 2012. Metodos para analise de alimentos (In Portuguese). 1st edn. Suprema, Visconde do Rio Branco, MG, Brazil.
- Detmann, E., E. E. L. Valente, E. D. Batista, and P. Huhtanen. 2014a. An evaluation of the performance and efficiency of nitrogen utilization in cattle fed tropical grass pastures with supplementation. Livest. Sci. 162:141-153. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2014.01.029
- Detmann, E., M. F. Paulino, S. C. Valadares Filho, and P. Huhtanen. 2014b. Nutritional aspects applied to grazing cattle in the tropics: a review based on Brazilian results. Semin. Cienc. Agrar. 35:2829-2854. https://doi.org/10.5433/1679-0359.2014v35n4Suplp2829
- Egan, A. R. 1965. Nutritional status and intake regulation in sheep. III. The relationship between improvement of nitrogen status and increase in voluntary intake of low-protein roughages by sheep. Aust. J. Agric. Res. 16:463-472. https://doi.org/10.1071/AR9650463
- Egan, A. R. and R. J. Moir. 1965. Nutritional status and intake regulation in sheep. I. Effects of duodenally infused single doses of casein, urea, and propionate upon voluntary intake of a low-protein roughage by sheep. Aust. J. Agric. Res. 16:437-449. https://doi.org/10.1071/AR9650437
- El-Shazly, K., B. A. Dehority, and R. R. Johnson. 1961. Effect of starch on the digestion of cellulose in vitro and in vivo by rumen microorganisms. J. Anim. Sci. 20:268-273.
- Figueiredo, D. M., M. F. Paulino, E. Detmann, E. H. B. K. Moraes, S. C. Valadares Filho, and M. G. Souza. 2008. Protein sources of in multiple supplements for cattle on pasture during the rainy season. R. Bras. Zootec. 37:2222-2232. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1516-35982008001200021
- Forbes, J. M. 2003. The multifactorial nature of food intake control. J. Anim. Sci. 81:E139-E144.
- Illius, A. W. and N. S. Jessop. 1996. Metabolic constraints on voluntary intake in ruminants. J. Anim. Sci. 74:3052-3062. https://doi.org/10.2527/1996.74123052x
- Kempton, T. J., J. V. Nolan, and R. A. Leng. 1977. Principles for the use of non-protein nitrogen and by-pass proteins in diets of ruminants. World Anim. Rev. 22:2-10.
- Kennedy, P. M., R. T. J. Clarke, and L. P. Milligan. 1981. Influences of dietary sucrose and urea on transfer of endogenous urea to the rumen of sheep and numbers of epithelial bacteria. Br. J. Nutr. 46:533-541. https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN19810062
- Lazzarini, I., E. Detmann, S. C. Valadares Filho, M. F. Paulino, E. D. Batista. L. M. A. Rufino, W. L. S. Reis, and M. O. Franco. 2016. Nutritional performance of cattle grazing during rainy season with nitrogen and starch supplementation. Asian Australas. J. Anim. Sci. 29:1120-1128.
- Mould, F. L E. R. Orskov, S. O. Mann, and S. A. Gauld. 1983. Associative effects of mixed feeds. II. The effect of dietary additions of bicarbonate salts on the voluntary intake and digestibility of diets containing various proportions of hay and barley. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 10:31-47. https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-8401(83)90004-4
- NRC (National Research Council). 1985. Ruminant Nitrogen Usage. 1st edn. National Academy Press, Washington, DC, USA.
- NRC (National Research Council). 2001. Nutrient Requirement of Dairy Cattle. 7th edn. National Academy Press, Washington, DC, USA.
- Nocek, J. E. and J. B. Russell. 1988. Protein and energy as an integrated system. Relationship of ruminal protein and carbohydrate availability to microbial synthesis and milk production. J. Dairy Sci. 71:2070-2107. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(88)79782-9
- Paulino, M. F., E. Detmann, E. E. L. Valente, and L. V. Barros. 2008. Nutrition of grazing cattle. In: Proceedings of the 4th Symposium on Strategic Management of Pasture (Eds. O. G. Pereira, J. A. Obeid, D. M. Fonseca, and D. Nascimento Jr.). Vicosa, MG, Brazil. pp. 131-169.
- Poppi, D. P. and S. R. McLennan. 1995. Protein and energy utilization by ruminants at pasture. J. Anim. Sci. 73:278-290. https://doi.org/10.2527/1995.731278x
- Porto, M. O., M. F. Paulino, S. C. Valadares Filho, M. F. L. Sales, M. I. Leao, and V. R. M. Couto. 2009. Protein sources in multiple supplements for finishing crossbred steers on Brachiaria pasture, in the wet season: productive and economical performance. R. Bras. Zootec. 38:1553-1560. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1516-35982009000800020
- Schroeder, G. F. and E. C. Titgemeyer. 2008. Interaction between protein and energy supply on protein utilization in growing cattle: A review. Livest. Sci. 114:1-10. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2007.12.008
- Ushida, K., B. Lassalas, and J. Jouany. 1985. Determination of assay parameters for RNA analysis in bacterial and duodenal samples by spectrophotometry. Influence of treatment and preservation. Reprod. Nutr. Dev. 25:1037-1046. https://doi.org/10.1051/rnd:19850804
- Van Soest, P. J. 1994. Nutritional Ecology of the Ruminant. 2nd edn. Cornell University Press, Ithaca, NY, USA.
- Zorzi, K., E. Detmann, A. C. Queiroz, M. F. Paulino, H. C. Mantovani, and G. F. Bayao. 2009. In vitro degradation of neutral detergent fiber of high-quality tropical forage according to supplementation with different nitrogenous compounds. R. Bras. Zootec. 38:964-971. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1516-35982009000500025