- Volume 16 Issue 5
The purpose of this study was to examine unmet dental care needs and related factors among adults in Korea. The study included a nationally representative sample of Koreans (Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2104). The dependent variable was unmet dental care need and the independent variables were socioeconomic status and oral health status. The chi-square test and logistic regression analysis were performed to identify the associations between explanatory variables and unmet dental care needs. The major causes of unmet dental care needs included economic burden, work life, and academic reasons; in addition, dental treatment was considered to have lower priority. The factors that had statistically significant relationships with unmet dental care needs were sex, age, self-rated oral health status, and difficulty in mastication. The findings of the study, suggest a need for lower dental insurance copayments in keeping with the policies and principles aimed at strengthening the national health insurance system. In addition, groups with limited access to dental services should be identified, and effective health care policies and services should be established for these individuals.
Experience of dental pain;Oral health status;Socioeconomic status;Unmet dental need
- Andersen RM, McCutcheon A, Aday L, Chiu GY, Bell R: Exploring dimensions of access to medical care. Health Serv Res 18: 49-74, 1983.
- OECD: Health at a Glance 2013, OECD indicators. OECD Publishing, Paris, pp.146-147, 2013.
- Ramraj C, Azarpazhooh A, Dempster L, Ravaghi V, Quinonez C: Dental treatment needs in the Canadian population: analysis of a nationwide cross-sectional survey. BMC Oral Health 12: 46, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6831-12-46
- Maharani DA: Perceived need for and utilization of dental care in Indonesia in 2006 and 2007: a secondary analysis. J Oral Sci 51: 545-550, 2009. https://doi.org/10.2334/josnusd.51.545
- Lasser KE, Himmelstein DU, Woolhandler S: Access to care, health status, and health disparities in the United States and Canada: results of a Cross-National Population Based Survey. Am J Public Health 96: 1300-1307, 2006. https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2004.059402
- Caban-Martinez AJ, Lee DJ, Fleming LE, et al.: Dental care access and unmet dental care needs among U.S. workers: the National Health Interview Survey, 1997 to 2003. Am Dent Assoc 138: 227-230, 2007. https://doi.org/10.14219/jada.archive.2007.0141
- Jeon JE, Chung WG, Kim NH: The reason of unmet dental need related socioeconomic status in Korea: using the 4th Korea National Health and Nutritional Examination Survey. J Korean Acad Oral Health 36: 73-81, 2012.
- Sanmartin C, Houle C, Tremblay S, Berthelot JM: Changes in unmet health care needs. Health Rep 13: 15-21, 2002.
- Heo SI, Kim SJ: State of unmet medical care needs in adults in our country: with priority given to age differences. Korean J Heal Econ Policy 13: 1-16, 2007.
- Cunningham PJ, Hadley J: Differences between symptom-specific and general survey questions of unmet need in measuring insurance and racial/ethnic disparities in access to care. Med Care 45: 842-850, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1097/MLR.0b013e318053678f
- DeCesaroa A, Hemmeter J: Unmet health care needs and medical out-of-pocket expenses of SSI children. J Vocat Rehabil 30: 177-199, 2009.
- Mollborn S, Stepanikova I, Cook KS: Delayed care and unmet needs among health care system users: When does fiduciary trust in a physician matter? Health Serv Res 40: 1898-1917, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1475-6773.2005.00457.x
- Heo SI, Lee SH: factors related to the level of unmet medical care needs in hypertension patients and diabetes patients in our country. J Health Adm 21: 1-22, 2011.
- Pau A, Croucher RE, Marcenes W: Demographic and socio-economic correlates of dental pain among adults in the United Kingdom, 1998. Br Dent J 21: 548-549, 2007.
- Villalobos-Rodelo JJ, Medina-Solis CE, Maupome G, et al.: Dental needs and socioeconomic status associated with utilization of dental services in the presence of dental pain: a case-control study in children. J Orofac Pain 24: 279-286, 2010.
- Schultz ST, Shenkin JD, Horowitz AM: Parental perceptions of unmet dental need and cost barriers to care for developmentally disabled children. Pediatr Dent 23: 321-325, 2001.
- Shi L, Stevens GD: Vulnerability and unmet health care needs: the influence of multiple risk factors. J Gen Intern Med 20: 148-154, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1525-1497.2005.40136.x
- Janardhanan T, Cohen CI, Kim S, Rizvi BF: Dental care and associated factors among older adults with schizophrenia. J Am Dent Assoc 142: 57-65, 2011. https://doi.org/10.14219/jada.archive.2011.0029
- Bastos JLD, Nomura LH, Peres MA: Dental pain, socioeconomic status, and dental caries in young male adults from southern Brazil. Cad Saude Publica 21: 1416-1423, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1590/S0102-311X2005000500014
- Heaton LJ, Mancl L, Armfield JM, Grembowski D, Milgrom P: Unmet dental need in community-dwelling adults with mental illness: Results from the 2007 Medical Expenditure Panel Survey. J Am Dent Assoc 144: e16-e23, 2013. https://doi.org/10.14219/jada.archive.2013.0122
- Romaniuk J: Subjective and objective health of the population aged 50＋ and the welfare state regimes in 16 European countries. Int J Manag Econ 39: 82-107, 2014.
- Survival of individual teeth after non-surgical endodontic treatment vol.41, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.11149/jkaoh.2017.41.3.201
Supported by : 동남보건대학교