- Volume 31 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
A Numerical Study of the Backdraft Behavior with the Variation of the Ignition Location and Time
점화원 위치 및 점화시간 변화에 따른 백드래프트 거동에 관한 수치적 연구
- Ko, Min Wook (Department of Safety Engineering, Pukyong National University) ;
- Oh, Chang Bo (Department of Safety Engineering, Pukyong National University) ;
- Han, Yong Shik (Department of Energy Plant Safety, Korea Institute of Machinery and Materials) ;
- Do, Kyu Hyung (Department of Energy Plant Safety, Korea Institute of Machinery and Materials)
- Received : 2016.03.23
- Accepted : 2016.07.21
- Published : 2016.08.31
The behavior of backdraft in the compartment with different ignition locations and times was numerically investigated. The Fire Dynamics Simulator (FDS) v5.5.3 with a model-free simulation option was used in the numerical simulation of backdraft. The ignition source was located near the inside wall, at the compartment center and near the window opening, respectively. The ignition was started at the instance when the fresh air reached the ignition location or when a sufficient time passed compare to the instance of the arriving of the fresh air to the ignition location. As a result, for the ignition source was located near the inside wall, a strong fire ball was observed at once and the result was similar to the previous experimental result. For the ignition source was located at the center of the compartment, a strong fire ball was occurred and two strong fire balls were observed consecutively for the ignition time was delayed. For the ignition source was located near the window opening and longer time was given for the ignition compare the duration of the fresh air arriving to the ignition location, the rapid temperature variation was not observed because there was no flame. However, for the ignition was started at the instance when the fresh air reached the ignition location, the ignition could be initiated and a intensive fire ball was observed. The pressure measured at the upper inside part of the window opening provided a similar trend with the previous experimental result of compartment backdraft.
Supported by : 부경대학교
- C. M. Fleiscmann, "Backdraft Phenomena", Ph. D. Thesis, University of California, Berkley, 1993.
- W. G. Weng, W. C. Fan and Y. Hasemi, "Prediction of the Formation of Backdraft in a Compartment Based on Large Eddy Simulation", International Journal for Computer-Aided Engineering and Software, Vol. 22, pp. 376-392, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1108/02644400510598732
- S. A. Ferraris, J. X. Wen and S. Dembele, "Large Eddy Simulation of the Backdraft Phenomenon", Fire Safety Journal, Vol. 43, pp. 205-225, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.firesaf.2007.06.009
- J.-W. Park, C. B. Oh, B. I. Choi and Y. S. Han, "A Study of Numerical Reproducibility for the Backdraft Phenomena in a Compartment using the FDS", Journal of the Korean Society of Safety, Vol. 28, No. 6, pp. 6-10, 2013. https://doi.org/10.14346/JKOSOS.2013.28.6.006
- J.-W. Park, C. B. Oh, B. I. Choi and Y. S. Han, "Computational Visualization of the Backdraft Development Process in a Compartment," Journal of Visualization, Vol. 18, pp. 25-29, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12650-014-0229-y
- J.-W. Park, C. B. Oh, Y. S. Han and K. H. Do, "Effect of Initial Condition and Opening Geometry of a Compartment on the Gravity Current in the Backdraft", Journal of the Korean Society of Safety, Vol. 30, No. 6, pp. 18-25, 2015. https://doi.org/10.14346/JKOSOS.2015.30.6.18
- W. G. Weng, W. C. Fan, J. Qin and L. Z. Yang, "Study on Salt Water Modeling of Gravity Currents prior to Backdraft using Flow Visualization and Digital Particle Image Velocimetry," Experiments in Fluids, Vol. 33, pp. 398-404, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00348-002-0448-1
- W. G. Weng and W. C. Fan, "Critical Condition of Backdraft in Compartment Fires: A Reduced-Scale Experimental Study," Journal of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries, Vol. 16, pp. 19-26, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0950-4230(02)00088-8
- W. G. Weng, Y. Hasemi and W. C. Fan, "Study on Effect of Opening Location on The Occurrence of Backdraft," Tenth Interflam Symposium on Fire Science & Engineering, Edinburgh Scotland, Inter-Science Communications, London, pp. 95-103, 2004.
- K. McGrattan, R. McDermott, S. Hostikka, and J. Floyd, "Fire Dynamics Simulator (Version 5) User's Guide", NIST Special Publication 1019-5, 2007.
- J.-W. Park and C. B. Oh, "Investigation of Combustion Model for the Simulation of Backdraft in a Compartment", KIFSE Proceeding of 2013 Spring Annual Conference, pp. 60-61, 2013.
- J.-W. Park, C. B. Oh, B. I. Choi and Y. S. Han, "The Effects of Radiation and Chemical Reaction Mechanism on the Development of Backdraft in a Compartment", KIFSE Proceeding of 2013 Fall Annual Conference, pp. 91-92, 2013.
- J.-W. Park, C. B. Oh, B. I. Choi and Y. S. Han, "Computational Study of the Initial Condition and Development of Backdraft in a Compartment", 47th KOSCO Symposium, pp. 29-32, 2013.
- J.-W. Park, "Computational Study of Backdraft Dynamics in the Compartment", MA Thesis, Pukyong National University, 2014.
- J.-W. Park and C. B. Oh, "Effect of Initial Fuel Concentration on the Occurrence of the Backdraaft", Spring Conference of the Korean Society of Safety 2015, pp. 41, 2015.
- C. M. Fleiscmann, P. J. Pangni and R. B. Williamson, "Quantitative Backdraft Experiments", 4th International Symposium on Fire Safety Science, pp. 337-348, 1994.