- Volume 25 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Assessment of Sediment Yield according to Observed Dataset
- Lee, Sangeun (Department of Energy and Mineral Resources Engineering, Kangwon National University) ;
- Kang, Sanghyeok (Department of Civil Engineering, Kangwon National University)
- Received : 2016.10.09
- Accepted : 2016.10.21
- Published : 2016.10.31
South Korea is a maritime nation, surrounded by water on three sides; hence, it is important to preserve in a sustainable manner. Most areas, especially those bordering the East Sea, have been suffering from severe coastal erosion. Information on the sediment yield of a river basin is an important requirement for water resources development and management. In Korea, data on suspended sediment yield are limited owing to a lack of logistic support for systematic sediment sampling activities. This paper presents an integrated approach to estimate the sediment yield for ungauged coastal basins by using a soil erosion model and a sediment delivery rate model in a geographic information system (GIS)-based platform. For applying the sediment yield model, a basin specific parameter was validated on the basis of field data, that, ranging from 0.6 to 1.2 for the 19 gauging stations. The calculated specific sediment yield ranged from 17 to
Monsoon region;Sediment delivery rate;Sediment yield;Modeling
Supported by : Kangwon National University
- Fernandez, C., Wu, J. Q., McCool, D. K., StOckle, C. O., 2003, Estimating water erosion and sediment yield with GIS, RUSLE, and SEDD, Soil and Water Conser. Soci., 58(3), 128-136.
- Ferro, V., Porto, P., 2000, Sediment delivery distri-bution (SEDD) model, J. of Hydrologic Engi., 5(4), 411-422. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1084-0699(2000)5:4(411)
- Fu, G., Chen, S., McCool, D. K., 2006, Modeling the impacts of no-till practice on soil erosion and sediment yield with RUSLE, SEDD, and ArcView GIS, Soil & Tillage Res., 85, 38-49. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.still.2004.11.009
- Kamaludin, H., Lihan, T., Ali Rahman, Z., Mustapha, M. A., Idris, W. M., Rahim, S. A., 2013, Integration of remote sensing, RUSLE and GIS to model potential soil loss and sediment yield (SY), Hydro Earth Sys. Sci Discuss., 10, 4567-4596. https://doi.org/10.5194/hessd-10-4567-2013
- Kinnell, P. I. A., 2008, Sediment delivery from hillslopes and the universal soil loss equation: Some perceptions and misconceptions, Hydrological Proc., 22, 3168-3175. https://doi.org/10.1002/hyp.6903
- Korea Institute of Construction Technology (KICT), 1992, The development of selection standard for calculation method of unit sediment yield in river, 89-WR-113 Research Paper 1992 (in Korean).
- Kothyari, U. C., Jain, M. K., 1997, Sediment yield estimation using GIS, Hydrological Sci. J., 46(6), 833-843.
- Kurt, S., Karaburun, A., Demirci, A., 2010, Coastline change in Istanbul between 1987 and 2007, Scientific Res. and Essays, 5(19), 3009-3017.
- Lee, G. S., Lee, K. H., 2006, Scaling effect for estimating soil loss in the RUSLE model using remotely sensed geospatial data in Korea, Hydrol Earth Syst. Sci. Discuss., 3,135 157. https://doi.org/10.5194/hessd-3-135-2006
- Lee, S. E., Kang, S. H., 2013, Estimating the GIS-based soil loss and sediment delivery ratio to the sea for four major basins in South Korea, Wat. Sci. & Tech., 68(1), 124-133. https://doi.org/10.2166/wst.2013.194
- Lee, S. E., Kang, S. H., 2014, Geographic information system-coupling sediment delivery distribution modeling based on observed data, Wat. Sci. & Tech., 70(3), 495-501. https://doi.org/10.2166/wst.2014.231
- Lu, X. X., Siew, R. Y., 2005, Water discharge and sediment flux changes in the lower Mekong River, Hydrol. Earth Sys. Sci. Discuss., 2, 2287-2325. https://doi.org/10.5194/hessd-2-2287-2005
- Milliman, J. D., Syvitski, P. M., 1992, Geomorphic/tectonic control of sediment discharge to the ocean: The importance of small mountainous rivers, The J. of Geol., 100, 525-544. https://doi.org/10.1086/629606
- Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport, 2015, Water Management Information System (WAMIS), Korea (in Korean).
- Mutua, B. M., Klik, A., 2006, Estimating spatial sediment delivery ratio on a large rural catchment, J. of Spatial Hydrol., 6(1), 64-80.
- National Academy of Agricultural Science (NAAS), 2014, Soil map, Korea, 2014 (In Korean).
- Neibling, W. H., Foster, G. R., 1997, Estimating deposition and sediment yield from overland flow processes, International Symposium on Urban Hydrology, Hydraulics, and Sediment Control Procs. Univ. of Kentucky, Lexington.
- Pal, B., Samanta, S., Pal, D. K., 2012, Morphometric and hydrological analysis and mapping for Watut watershed using Remote Sensing and GIS techniques, Int. J. of Adv. in Engi. & Tech., 2(1), 357-368.
- Phillips, J. D., 1995, Decoupling of sediment sources in large river basins, effects of scale on interpretation and management of sediment and water quality, Proceedings a Boulder Symposium, July, IAHS publ. no. 226, 11-16.
- Renard, K. G., Foster, G. R., Weesies, G. A., McCool, D. K., Yoder, D. C., 1987, Predicting soil erosion by water: A guide to conservation planning with the Revised Universal Soil Loss Equation (RUSLE).
- US Department of Agriculture: Washington, DC, USA, 1997, Agriculture Handbook, 703.
- Han River Flood Control Office, Water Resources Management Information System, 2016, http://www.wamis.go.kr/
- Walling, D. E., 1983, The sediment delivery problem, J. Hydrol., 65, 209-237. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-1694(83)90217-2
- Wischmeier, W. H., Johnson, C. B., Cross, B. V., 1971, A soil erodibility nomograph for farmland and construction sites, J. Soil Water Conser., 26, 189-193.
- Wischmeier, W. H., Smith, D. D., 1958, Rainfall energy and its relation to soil loss, Trans Am Geophys Union, 39(2), 285-291. https://doi.org/10.1029/TR039i002p00285
- Wischmeier, W. H., Smith, D. D., 1978, Predicting Rainfall Erosion Losses, USDA Ag. Res. Serv. Handbook, 537, US Department of Agriculture: Washington, DC, USA.
- Yekta, A. H. A., Marsooli, R., Soltana, F., 2010, Suspended sediment estimation of Ekbatan reservoir sub basin using adaptive neuro-fuzzy inference systems (ANFIS), artificial neural networks (ANN), and sediment rating curves (SRC), River Flow 2010, Dittrich, Koll, Aberle & Geisenhainer (eds), 807-813.
- Rosati, J. D., 2005, Concepts in sediment budgets, J. of Coastal Res., 21(2), 307-322.