- Volume 25 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Noise-reduction Function and its Affecting Factors of Plant Communities
- Song, Xiu-hua (College of Horticulture Science and Engineering, Shandong Agricultural University) ;
- Wu, Qian-qian (College of Horticulture Science and Engineering, Shandong Agricultural University) ;
- Yu, Dong-ming (Forestry College of Shandong Agricultural University) ;
- PIAO, Yong-ji (College of Horticulture Science and Engineering, Shandong Agricultural University) ;
- Cho, Tae-Dong (Department of Environmental Landscape Architecture, Gangneung-Wonju National University)
- Received : 2016.09.13
- Accepted : 2016.10.04
- Published : 2016.10.31
In this study, we investigated the relationship between noise reduction and the community structure of nine groups of typical plant communities as well as the reduction in noise at different frequencies. The semantic differential method was adopted to explore the perception of noise reduction. The results indicated that there was a significantly positive correlation between noise reduction and coverage, a significantly negative correlation between noise reduction and bifurcate height, and a negative correlation between noise reduction and bare rate. However, there was no significant correlation between noise reduction and height, diameter at breast height, or crown width. The reduction of middle-frequency noise was better than that of low- and high-frequency noise. The indicators "quiet" and "calm" showed that plant communities could reduce the noise perceived by humans. However, overly dense woodland caused nervousness, fear, depression, and other negative effects. Relatively open environments and those with large forest gaps obtained the highest evaluation.
Plant community;Noise reduction;Community structure;Psychological noise reduction;Semantic differential method
Supported by : national natural science foundation of China
- Ba, C. B., Liang, B., Qin et al., 2013, Noise reduction and its influence factors of four kinds of broad-leaved hedge ball in Beijing, Urban Environment & Urban Ecology, 26(2), 14-19.
- Embleton, T. F. W., 1963, Sound propagation in homo-geneous deciduous and evergreen woods, Journal of the Acoustical Society of American, 35, 1119-1125. https://doi.org/10.1121/1.1918662
- Fang, C., Ling, D., 2003, Investigation of the noise reduction provided by tree belts, Landscape and Urban Planning, 63, 187-195. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0169-2046(02)00190-1
- Guo, X. P., Peng, H. Y., Wang, L., 2009, The effects of traffic noise attenuation by green belts, Acta Scientiae Circumstantiae, 29, 2567-2571.
- Hong, J. Y., Jeon, J. Y., 2014, The effects of audio-visual factors on perceptions of environmental noise barrier performance, Landscape and Urban Planning, 125, 28-37. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.landurbplan.2014.02.001
- Hu, J., Ge, J., Li, D. H., 2014, Frequency characteristics of traffic noise attenuated by green belts, Urban Environment & Urban Ecology, 27(5), 16-20.
- Li, H. N., Chan, C. K., Tang, S. K., 2010, Can surrounding greenery reduce noise annoyance at home?, Science of the Total Environment, 408, 4376-4384. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2010.06.025
- Pal, A. K., Kumar, V., Saxena, N. C., 2000, Noise attenuation by green belts, Journal of Sound and Vibration, 234(1), 149-165. https://doi.org/10.1006/jsvi.2000.2863
- Renterthem, V., Botteldooren, T., Verheyen, D., 2012, Road traffic noise shielding by vegetation belts of limited depth, Journal of Sound and Vibration, 331, 2404-2425. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsv.2012.01.006
- Song, X. H., Cho, T. D., Piao, Y. J., 2012, Semantic differential analysis of the soundscape in urban park, Journal of the Environmental Sciences, 9, 1053-1058.
- Yang, F., Bao, Z. Y., Zhu et al., 2010, The investigation of noise attenuation by plants and corresponding noise-reducing spectrum, Journal of Environmental Health, 72(8), 8-15.
- Yang, F., Bao, Z. Y., Zhu, Z. J., 2011, An assessment of psychological noise reduction by landscape plants, International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 8, 1032-1048. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph8041032
- Yu, S. X., 2000, Noise-reduction in northern citiesstatement in 'Capital facing the 21st century green academic seminar', Chinese Landscape Architecture, 2, 16-18.
- Zhang, Q. F., Zheng, S. J., Xia et al., 2007, Noise-reduction function and its affecting factors of urban plant communities in Shanghai, Chinese Journal of Applied Ecology, 18, 2295-2300.
- Zhou, J. X., Ding, Y. C., Li et al., 2005, Investigation of traffic noise attenuation provided by green belts, Environmental Engineering, 23(2), 48-51.