- Volume 25 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Design and Field Test of Automatic Data Logger System for Portable Magnetometer using Raspberry Pi
- Choi, Eun-Kyeong (GI Co. Ltd., Geo-Information Institute) ;
- Kim, Sung-Wook (GI Co. Ltd., Geo-Information Institute) ;
- Cho, Jinwoo (Geotechnical Engineering Research Institute, Korea Institute of Civil Engineering and Building Technology) ;
- Lee, Khil-Ha (Department of Civil Engineering, Daegu University)
- Received : 2016.09.03
- Accepted : 2016.09.30
- Published : 2016.10.31
A monitoring system for a field magnetometer was configured with assistance of a Raspberry Pi as a data logger. The suggested geomagnetic system uses a semi-real-time data transmission module. The system consists of two parts: a field-observation part and a data-center part. The field-observation part comprises a Raspberry Pi, magnetometer, LTE router, and power source, while the data center part takes samples at the site. The collected magnetometer data are then sent to the data center through the LTE router. The newly designed monitoring system was deployed and checked in Jeju-do island, and found to operate stably. The suggested system is promising in that it is simple and cost saving, providing at least physical insight and knowledge on the complex natural phenomena.
Raspberry Pi;Magnetometer;Data logger
Grant : Horizontal Drilling and Stabilization Technologies for Urban Search and Rescue (US&R) Operation
Supported by : Korea Institute of Civil Engineering and Building Technology
- Campbell, W. H., 2001, Earth Magnetism: A Guided Tour Through Magnetic Fields, Academic Press.
- Campbell, W. H., 2015, Introduction to Geomagnetic Fields, 2nd ed., Cambridge Univ. Press.
- Dudas, R., VandenBussche, C., Baras, Al., Ali, S. Z., Olson, M. T., 2014, Inexpensive telecytology solutions that use the Raspberry Pi and the iPhone, Journal of the American Society of Cytopathology, 3, 49-55. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jasc.2013.09.005
- Ferdoush, S., Li, X., 2014, Wireless sensor network system design and Raspberry Pi and arduino for environmental monitoring applications, Procedia Computer Science, 34, 103-110. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.procs.2014.07.059
- Fraser-Smith, A. C., Bernardi, A., McGill, P. R., Ladd, M. E., Helliwell, R. A., Villard, Jr. O. G., 1990, Low-frequency magnetic field measurements near the epicenter of the ML 7.1 Loma Prieta earthquake, Geophysical Research Letters, 17, 12951-12958.
- Hayakawa, M., Hattori, K., Ohta, K., 2007, Monitoring of ULF (ultra-low-frequency) geomagnetic variations associated with earthquakes, Sensors, 7, 1108-1122. https://doi.org/10.3390/s7071108
- Lastovicka, J., 2002, Monitoring and forecasting of ionospheric space weather - Effects of geomagnetic storms, Journal of Atmospheric and Solar-Terrestrial Physics, 64, 697-705. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1364-6826(02)00031-7
- Merrill, R. T., McElhinny, M. W., McFadden, P. L., 1998, The Magnetic Field of the Earth: Paleomagnetism, The Core, and The Deep Mantle, Academic Press.
- Merrill, R. T., 2010, Our Magnetic Field: The Science of Geomagnetism. Univ. of Chicago Press.
- Moroz, Y. F., Moroz, T. A., Smirnov, S. E., 2011, Results of monitoring the geomagnetic variations at the Magadan and Paratunka observatorie, Izvestiya-Physics of the Solid Earth, 47, 698-710. https://doi.org/10.1134/S1069351311070068
- Moskovskaya, L. F., 2012, Directional and correlation analysis from the geomagnetic monitoring and seismic data on the Boso Peninsula in 2000, Izvestiya-Physics of the Solid Earth, 48, 532-546. https://doi.org/10.1134/S1069351312060043
- Raspberry Pi Fundation, 2014, http://www.raspberrypi.org/ (accessed on 02 September, 2014)
- Thomson, A. W. P., 2014, Geomagnetic observatories: Monitoring the earth's magnetic and space weather environment, Weather, 69, 234-237. https://doi.org/10.1002/wea.2329
- Werner-Allen, G., Lorincz, K., Johnson, J., Lees, J., Welsh, M., 2006, Fidelity and yield in a volcano monitoring sensor network, In Proceedings of the 7th symposium on Operating Systems Design and Implementation, 381-396. USENIX Association.