- Volume 58 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Genetic parameters for daily milk somatic cell score and relationships with yield traits of primiparous Holstein cattle in Iran
- Kheirabadi, Khabat (Young Researchers and Elite Club, Sanandaj Branch, Islamic Azad University) ;
- Razmkabir, Mohammad (Animal Science Department, Faculty of Agriculture, Kurdistan University)
- Received : 2016.05.30
- Accepted : 2016.10.19
- Published : 2016.10.31
Background: Despite the importance of relationships between somatic cell score (SCS) and currently selected traits (milk, fat and protein yield) of Holstein cows, there was a lack of comprehensive literature for it in Iran. Therefore we tried to examine heritabilities and relationships between these traits using a fixed-regression animal model and Bayesian inference. The data set consisted of 1,078,966 test-day observations from 146,765 primiparous daughters of 1930 sires, with calvings from 2002 to 2013. Results: Marginal posterior means of heritability estimates for SCS (
Bayesian approach;Somatic cell score;Yield traits;Relationships
- Mrode RA, Swanson GJT. Genetic and statistical properties of somatic cell count and its suitability as an indirect means of reducing the incidence ofmastitis in dairy cattle. Anim Breed Abs. 1996;64:847-57.
- Heringstad B, Klemetsdal G, Ruane J. Selection for mastitis resistance in dairy cattle: a review with focus on the situation in the Nordic countries. Livest Prod Sci. 2000;64:95-106. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0301-6226(99)00128-1
- Vallimont J, Dechow C, Sattler C, Clay J. Heritability estimates associated with alternative definitions of mastitis and correlations with somatic cell score and yield. J Dairy Sci. 2009;92:3402-10. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2008-1229
- Odegard J, Jensen J, Klemetsdal G, Madsen P, Heringstad B. Genetic analysis of somatic cell score in Norwegian cattle using random regression test-day models. J Dairy Sci. 2003;86:4103-14. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(03)74024-7
- Emanuelson U, Danell B, Philipsson J. Genetic parameters for clinical mastitis, somatic cell counts, and milk production estimated by multipletrait restricted maximum likelihood. J Dairy Sci. 1988;71:467-76. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(88)79576-4
- Carlen E, Strandberg E, Roth A. Genetic parameters for clinical mastitis, somatic cell score, and production in the first three lactations of Swedish Holstein cows. J Dairy Sci. 2004;87:3062-70. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(04)73439-6
- Ma Y, Ryan C, Barbano DM, Galton DM, Rudan MA, Boor KJ. Effects of somatic cell count on quality and shelf-life of pasteurized fluid milk. J Dairy Sci. 2000;83:264-74. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(00)74873-9
- Politis I, Ng-Kwai-Hang KF. Association between somatic cell count of milk and cheese-yielding capacity. J Dairy Sci. 1988;71:1720-7. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(88)79738-6
- Sewalem A, Miglior F, Kistemaker GJ, Van Doormaal BJ. Analysis of the relationship between somatic cell score and functional longevity in Canadian dairy cattle. J Dairy Sci. 2006;89:3609-14. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(06)72400-6
- Rekik B, Ajili N, Belhani H, Ben Gara A, Rouissi H. Effect of somatic cell count on milk and protein yields and female fertility in Tunisian Holstein dairy cows. Livest Sci. 2008;116:309-17. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2007.11.001
- Ali AKA, Shook GE. An optimum transformation for somatic cell concentration in milk. J Dairy Sci. 1980;63:487-90. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(80)82959-6
- Misztal I. BLUPF90 family of programs. http://nce.ads.uga.edu/html/projects/programs/Linux/64bit/. Accessed 02 July 2015.
- Team RC. R: a language and environment for statistical computing. Vienna: R Foundation for Statistical Computing; 2015. http://www.R-project.org/.
- Jamrozik J, Bohmanova J, Schaeffer L. Relationships between milk yield and somatic cell score in Canadian Holsteins from simultaneous and recursive random regression models. J Dairy Sci. 2010;93:1216-33. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2009-2585
- Welper RD, Freeman AE. Genetic parameters for yield traits of Holsteins, including lactose and somatic cell score. J Dairy Sci. 1992;75:1342-8. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(92)77885-0
- Rajala-Schultz PJ, Grohn YT, McCulloch CE, Guard CL. Effects of clinical mastitis on milk yield in dairy cows. J Dairy Sci. 1999;82:1213-20. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(99)75344-0
- Kheirabadi K, Rashidi A, Alijani S, Imumorin I. Modeling lactation curves and estimation of genetic parameters in Holstein cows using multiple‐trait random regression models. Anim Sci J. 2014;85:925-34. https://doi.org/10.1111/asj.12185
- Razmkabir M. Genetic evaluation of production traits with random regression models in Holstein dairy cattle. PhD Disseration (In persian language). 2011.
- Wu X-L, Heringstad B, Chang Y-M, De los Campos G, Gianola D. Inferring relationships between somatic cell score and milk yield using simultaneous and recursive models. J Dairy Sci. 2007;90:3508-21. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2006-762
- Haile-Mariam M, Bowman P, Goddard M. Genetic and environmental correlations between test-day somatic cell count and milk yield traits. Livest Prod Sci. 2001;73:1-13. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0301-6226(01)00232-9
- Kheirabadi K, Alijani S. Estimation of genetic parameters and genetic trends of somatic cell score in Iranian Holstein cows using test-day records. Iranian J Appl Anim Sci. 2014;4:707-16.
- Kheirabadi K, Alijani S, Zavadilova L, Rafat SA, Moghaddam G. Estimation of genetic parameters for daily milk yields of primiparous Iranian Holstein cows. Arch Tierz. 2013;56:455-66.
- Yazgan K, Makulska J, Weglarz A, Ptak E, Gierdziewicz M. Genetic relationship between milk dry matter and other milk traits in extended lactations of Polish Holstein cows. Czech J Anim Sci. 2010;55:91-104. https://doi.org/10.17221/49/2009-CJAS