- Volume 58 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Evaluation of dry feeding and liquid feeding to lactating sows under high temperature environment
- Hong, J.S. (School of Agricultural Biotechnology, Seoul National University) ;
- Jin, S.S. (School of Agricultural Biotechnology, Seoul National University) ;
- Jung, S.W. (School of Agricultural Biotechnology, Seoul National University) ;
- Fang, L.H. (School of Agricultural Biotechnology, Seoul National University) ;
- Kim, Y.Y. (School of Agricultural Biotechnology, Seoul National University)
- Received : 2016.05.09
- Accepted : 2016.10.08
- Published : 2016.10.31
Background: Liquid feeding system has been introduced to domestic swine farms, but negative cognition about liquid feeding system has been remained for feed waste decay related with poor management and microbial contamination. For these reasons, this study was conducted to evaluate the effects of feeding method in lactating sows. Methods: A total of 30 mixed-parity (average 4.13) lactating sows (Yorkshire
Dry feeding;Lactating sow;Liquid feeding;Piglet;High temperature environment
Supported by : Rural Development Administration
- Smith P. Comparison of dry, wet and soaked meal for fattening bacon pigs. Experimental Husbandry. 1976;30:87-94.
- Zak LJ, Cosgrove JR, Aherne FX, Foxcroft GR. Pattern of feed intake and associated metabolic and endocrine changes differentially affect postweaning fertility in primiparous lactating sows. J Anim Sci. 1997;75:208-16. https://doi.org/10.2527/1997.751208x
- Sauber TE, Stahly TS, Ewan RC, Williams NH. Maximum lactational capacity of sows with high and low genetic capacity for lean tissue growth. J Anim Sci. 1994;72:364.
- Scholten RHJ, Schraum JW, van der Peet-Schwering CMC, den Hartog LA, Vesseur PC, van Leeuwen P, Verstegen MWA. The dose-response effect of fermented liquid wheat on growth performance and gastrointestinal health of weaned piglets. In: Lindberg JE, editor. 8th Proc. Symp. Dig. Physiol. in Pigs, Uppsala, Sweden. 2000;246-266.
- Dourmad JY, Noblet J, Etienne M. Effect of body protein and lysine supply on performance, nitrogen balance, and body composition changes of sows during lactation. J Anim Sci. 1998;76:542-50. https://doi.org/10.2527/1998.762542x
- Baidoo SK, Aherne FX, Kirkwood RN, Foxcroft GR. Effect of feed intake during lactation and after weaning on sow reproductive performance. Can J Anim Sci. 1992;72:911-7. https://doi.org/10.4141/cjas92-103
- Boyd R, Kensinger RS, Harrell RJ, Bauman DE. Nutrient uptake and endocrine regulation of milk synthesis by mammary tissue of lactating sows. J Anim Sci. 1995;73:36-56. https://doi.org/10.2527/1995.73suppl_236x
- Han YK, Thacker PA, Yang JS. Effects of the duration of liquid feeding on performance and nutrient digestibility in weaned pigs. Asian-Aust J Anim Sci. 2006;19:396-401. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2006.396
- Kirkwood RN, Baidoo SK, Aherne FX, Sather AP. The influence of feeding level during lactation on the occurrence and endocrinology of the post weaning estrus in sows. Can J Anim Sci. 1987a;67:405-415. https://doi.org/10.4141/cjas87-039
- Kirkwood RN, Lythgoe ES, Aherne FX. Effect of lactation feed intake and gonadotrophin-releasing hormone on the reproductive performance of sows. Can J Anim Sci. 1987b;67: 715-719. https://doi.org/10.4141/cjas87-074
- Koketsu Y. Influence of feed intake and other factors on the lactational and postweaning reproductive performance of sows. PhD Dissertation. St. Paul: University of Minnesota; 1994.
- Lynch PB. Factors affecting voluntary feed intake in the sow during the lactation period. PhD Dissertation. Dublin: National University of Ireland; 2001.
- Mullan BP, Williams IH. The chemical composition of sows during their first lactation. Anim Prod. 1990;51:375-87. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0003356100005523
- Noblet J, Etienne M. Metabolic utilization of energy and maintenance requirements in lactating sows. J Anim Sci. 1987;64:774-81. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1987.643774x
- Noblet J, Etienne M. Estimation of sow milk nutrient output. J Anim Sci. 1989;67:3352-9. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1989.67123352x
- Noblet J, Dourmad JY, Etienne M. Energy utilization in pregnant and lactating sows: modeling of energy requirements. J Anim Sci. 1990;68:562-72. https://doi.org/10.2527/1990.682562x
- NRC. Predicting Feed Intake of Food Producing Animals. Washington: National Academy Press; 1987.
- O'Grady JF, Lynch PB. Voluntary feed intake by lactating sows: influence of system of feeding and nutrient density of the diet. Irish J Agri Res. 1978;17:1-5.
- Peng JJ, Somes SA, Rozeboom DW. Effect of system of feeding and watering on performance of lactating sows. J Anim Sci. 2007;85:853-60. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2006-474
- Pettigrew JE. Amino acid nutrition of gestating and lactating sows. BioKyowa Tech Rev. 1993;5:2-18.
- Perrin DR. The composition of sow's milk during the course of lactation. J Dairy Res. 1954;21:55-62. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0022029900007135
- Richert BT, Tokach MD, Goodband RA, Nelssen JL, Pettigrew JE, Walker RA, Johnston LJ. Valine requirement of the high-producing lactating sow. J Anim Sci. 1996;74:1307-13. https://doi.org/10.2527/1996.7461307x