- Volume 26 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Literature Review of Tool-based Manipulation for Musculoskeletal Diseases-with Focus on Guasha and IASTM
근골격계 질환에서 도구를 이용한 수기요법의 연구 동향 고찰: 괄사요법과 IASTM을 중심으로
- Park, Jae-Hyun ;
- Shim, Jae-Woo ;
- Cho, Woo-Young ;
- Kim, Je-In ;
- Jeon, Jun-Young ;
- Kim, Hyung-Suk ;
- Park, Hye-Sung ;
- Shin, Woo-Chul ;
- Han, Jeong-Hoon ;
- Cho, Jae-Heung
- Received : 2016.09.22
- Accepted : 2016.10.07
- Published : 2016.10.31
Objectives Our goal was to review literatures on tool-based manipulation for musculoskeletal diseases with emphasis on guasha and IASTM (Instrument Assisted Soft Tissue Manipulation) by searching foreign and domestic controlled trials. Methods We found literatures published up to August 2016 in electronic databases (OASIS, KoreaMed, KMbase, NDSL, RISS, KISS, MEDLINE/PubMed, EMBASE, Cochrane Central Register of Controlled Trials) without any limitations on language. Results 17 studies were included in the review. 13 out of 17 articles were published within this decade. VAS was the main evaluation tool for most of the articles (14 out of 17). 10 studies showed statistically significant difference between the experimental group and the control group. In terms of materials used for treatment, 6 out of 17 studies used stainless steel. Considering anatomical locations for treatment, trunk area was treated the most, accounting for 7 out of 17 studies. Conclusions Our results show that recently, research on tool-based manipulation treatments for musculoskeletal diseases are actively being performed. Diseases of the vertebral column were the main target for tool-based manipulation treatments, and stainless steel was the most popular and safe material used. Further research should be performed for more accurate data.
Guasha;IASTM;Musculoskeletal diseases;Tool-based Manipulation;Review
- Lee JH, Lee DK, Oh JS. The effect of Graston technique on the pain and range of motion in patients with chronic low back pain. Journal of physical therapy science. 2016;28(6):1852-55. https://doi.org/10.1589/jpts.28.1852
- Won HS. The Effects of Instrument-Assisted Soft Tissue Mobilization Technique on Hamstring Flexibility and Pain in Collegiate Soccer Players: Myungji University; 2016.
- Bailey LB, Shanley E, Hawkins R, Beattie PF, Fritz S, Kwartowitz D, et al. Mechanisms of Shoulder Range of Motion Deficits in Asymptomatic Baseball Players. The American journal of sports medicine. 2015;43(11):2783-93. https://doi.org/10.1177/0363546515602446
- Lee JH. The Effect of Graston Technique on the Pain, Function and Range of Motion in Patients with Chronic Low Back Pain: Inje University; 2015.
- Kim DH, Kim TH, Jeong DY, Won JH. Effects of the Graston Technique and Self-myofascial Release on the Range of Motion of a Knee Joint. J Korean Soc Phys Med. 2014;9(4):455-63. https://doi.org/10.13066/kspm.2014.9.4.455
- Lee MS, Choi TY, Kim JI, Choi SM. Using Guasha to treat musculoskeletal pain: a systematic review of controlled clinical trials. Chinese medicine. 2010;5:5. https://doi.org/10.1186/1749-8546-5-5
- Nielsen A, Knoblauch NTM, Dobos GJ, Michalsen A, Kaptchuk TJ. The Effect of Gua Sha Treatment on the Microcirculation of Surface Tissue: A Pilot Study in Healthy Subjects. EXPLORE: The Journal of Science and Healing. 2007;3(5):456-66. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.explore.2007.06.001
- Kim SJ. The Effect of Meridian Scraping Therapy on Collum & Shoulder Myofascial Pain Syndrome. International Journal of Complementary, Integrative and Alternative Medicine. 2011;7(1):27-35.
- Braun M, Schwickert M, Nielsen A, Brunnhuber S, Dobos G, Musial F, et al. Effectiveness of Traditional Chinese "Gua Sha" Therapy in Patients with Chronic Neck Pain: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Pain Medicine. 2011;12(3):362-69. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1526-4637.2011.01053.x
- Blanchette MA, Normand MC. Augmented soft tissue mobilization vs natural history in the treatment of lateral epicondylitis: A pilot study. Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics. 2011;34(2):123-30. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmpt.2010.12.001
- Hammer WI, Pfefer MT. Treatment of a case of subacute lumbar compartment syndrome using the graston technique. Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics. 2005;28(3):199-204. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmpt.2005.02.010
- Looney B, Srokose T, Fernandez-de-las-Penas C, Cleland JA. Graston Instrument Soft Tissue Mobilization and Home Stretching for the Management of Plantar Heel Pain: A Case Series. Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics. 2011;34(2):138-42. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmpt.2010.12.003
- Nielsen A, Kligler B, Koll BS. Safety protocols for Gua sha (press-stroking) and Baguan (cupping). Complementary Therapies in Medicine. 2012;20(5):340-4. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ctim.2012.05.004
- Xiao LM, Meng XP, Han ML, Yang JJ, Du SB, Zhang W. Controlled observation of clinical efficacy on cervical spondylosis of neck type treated with scraping and acupuncture. Chinese acupuncture & moxibustion. 2014;34(8):751-4.
- Lee DW. The Effect of Myofascial Release Technique and Graston Technique on Pain and Range of Motion of a Patient with Chronic Neck Pain. Journal of Green Industrial Research, Honam Univ.. 2013;19(2):77-84.
- Wang Y, Yang L, Yang J, Yang J, Liu Z, Chen F, et al. Curative effect of scraping therapies on lumbar muscle strain. Journal of Traditional Chinese Medicine. 2013;33(4):455-60. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0254-6272(13)60148-X
- Lauche R, Wubbeling K, Ludtke R, Cramer H, Choi KE, Rampp T, et al. Randomized controlled pilot study: Pain intensity and pressure pain thresholds in patients with neck and low back pain before and after traditional east asian "gua Sha" therapy. American Journal of Chinese Medicine [Internet]. 2012;40(5):905-17. https://doi.org/10.1142/S0192415X1250067X
- Schaefer JL, Sandrey MA. Effects of a 4-week dynamic-balance-training program supplemented with Graston instrument-assisted soft-tissue mobilization for chronic ankle instability. Journal of sport rehabilitation [Internet]. 2012;21(4):313-26. https://doi.org/10.1123/jsr.21.4.313
- Lauche R, Wubbeling K, Rampp T, Michalsen A, Dobos G, Musial F. Randomized controlled pilot study: Quantitative sensory testing in patients with back pain before and after Gua Sha massage. European journal of integrative medicine. 2009;1(4):211-2.
- Tang SM, Liu EL, Wang ZW. Clinical research on treating fibromyalgia syndrome with skin scraping therapy. Journal of Sichuan Traditional Chinese Medicine [Internet]. 2008;26(7):108-9.
- Burke J, Buchberger DJ, Carey-Loghmani MT, Dougherty PE, Greco DS, Dishman JD. A Pilot Study Comparing Two Manual Therapy Interventions for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics. 2007;30(1):50-61. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmpt.2006.11.014
- Wang Z, Tao Y, Wu A. The Effect of Coin Scraping Therapy for the Treatment of Lumbar Disc Herniation. Chinese Journal of Traditional Medical Traumatology and Orthopedics. 2004;12(6):7-10.
- Nielsen A, Knoblauch NT, Dobos GJ, Michalsen A, Kaptchuk TJ. The effect of Gua Sha treatment on the microcirculation of surface tissue: a pilot study in healthy subjects. Explore (New York, NY). 2007;3(5):456-66. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.explore.2007.06.001
- Kwong KK, Kloetzer L, Wong KK, Ren J-Q, Kuo B, Jiang Y, et al. Bioluminescence imaging of heme oxygenase-1 upregulation in the Gua Sha procedure. JoVE (Journal of Visualized Experiments). 2009(30):1385
- Kim, S.H. Comparison of Shoulder Range of Motion and Index Pain between Soft Tissue Mobilization and Corrective Exercise in Frozen Shoulder Patients. Ulsan: Ulsan University;2011.
- Ro H.L., D.H. L, Kang DY. Application of a Heat Pack and Soft Tissue Mobilization on Hamstring Muscle of Flexibility in Subjects with Cerebral Palsy. The Journal of Korean Society of Physical Medicine. 2009;4(3).
- Scott J, Huskisson E. Graphic representation of pain. Pain. 1976;2(2):175-84. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-3959(76)90113-5
- Price DD, McGrath PA, Rafii A, Buckingham B. The validation of visual analogue scales as ratio scale measures for chronic and experimental pain. Pain. 1983;17(1):45-56. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-3959(83)90126-4
- Walker BF, Muller R, Grant WD. Low back pain in Australian adults. Health provider utilization and care seeking. Journal of manipulative and physiological therapeutics. 2004;27(5):327-35. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmpt.2004.04.006
- Patel KC, Gross A, Graham N, Goldsmith CH, Ezzo J, Morien A, et al. Massage for mechanical neck disorders. The Cochrane Library. 2012.