- Volume 26 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Effects of Freezing of Gait and Visual Information on the Static Postural Control Ability in Patients with Parkinson's Disease
- Kim, Jung Yee (Department of Taekwondo, Graduate School of Dong-A University) ;
- Son, Min Ji (Department of Medicine, Graduate School of Dong-A University) ;
- Kim, You Kyung (Department of Taekwondo, Graduate School of Dong-A University) ;
- Lee, Meoung Gon (Department of Health Science, Graduate School of Dong-A University) ;
- Kim, Jin Hee (Department of Health Science, Graduate School of Dong-A University) ;
- Youm, Chang Hong (Department of Health Care and Science, College of Health Sciences, Dong-A University)
- Received : 2016.08.09
- Accepted : 2016.09.13
- Published : 2016.09.30
Objective: The purpose of this study was to analyze the effects of freezing of gait and visual information on the static postural control ability in patients with Parkinson's Disease (PD) during the bipedal stance with feet together. Method: This study included a total of 36 patients with PD; the freezer group included 17 PD patients (age:
Supported by : Dong-A University
- Abarbanel, H. D., Gills, Z., Liu, C. & Roy, R. (1996). Nonlinear-time-series analysis of chaotic laser dynamics. Physical Review A, 53(1), 440. https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevA.53.440
- Ahn, W. H., Ahn, J. S. & Park, E. K. (2009). The functional effect of multidirectional exercise program in Parkinson disease patients. Journal of Sport and Leisure Studies, 35(2), 791-799.
- Bartels, A. L. & Leenders, K. L. (2009). Parkinson's disease: the syndrome, the pathogenesis and pathophysiology. Cortex, 45(8), 915-921. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cortex.2008.11.010
- Blaszczyk, J., Orawiec, R., Duda-Klodowska, D. & Opala, G. (2007). Assessment of postural instability in patients with Parkinson's disease. Experimental Brain Research, 183(1), 107-114. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00221-007-1024-y
- Bloem, B. R., Hausdorff, J. M., Visser, J. E. & Giladi, N. (2004). Falls and freezing of gait in Parkinson's disease: a review of two interconnected, episodic phenomena. Movement Disorders, 19(8), 871-884. https://doi.org/10.1002/mds.20115
- Byl, N. N., Nagarajan, S. S., Merzenich, M. M., Roberts, T. & McKenzie, A. (2002). Correlation of clinical neuromusculoskeletal and central somatosensory performance: variability in controls and patients with severe and mild focal hand dystonia. Neural Plasticity, 9(3), 177-203. https://doi.org/10.1155/NP.2002.177
- Centers for Disease Control & Prevention. (2008). Prevalence and research of Parkinson's disease. Centers for Disease Control & Prevention.
- Chastan, N., Debono, B., Maltete, D. & Weber, J. (2008). Discordance between measured postural instability and absence of clinical symptoms in Parkinson's disease patients in the early stages of the disease. Movement Disorders, 23(3), 366-372. https://doi.org/10.1002/mds.21840
- Dauer, W. & Przedborski, S. (2003). Parkinson's disease: mechanisms and models. Neuron, 39(6), 889-909. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0896-6273(03)00568-3
- de Lau, L. M. & Breteler, M. (2006). Epidemiology of Parkinson's disease. The Lancet Neurology, 5(6), 525-535. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1474-4422(06)70471-9
- Dolye, R. J., Hsiao-Wecksler, E. T., Ragan, B. G. & Rosengren, K. S. (2007). Generalizability of center of pressure measures of quiet standing. Gait & Posture, 25, 166-171. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gaitpost.2006.03.004
- Donker, S. F., Roerdink, M., Greven, A. J. & Beek, P. J. (2007). Regularity of center-of-pressure trajectories depends on the amount of attention invested in postural control. Experimental Brain Research, 181(1), 1-11. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00221-007-0905-4
- Duncan, R. P., Leddy, A. L., Cavanaugh, J. T., Dibble, L. E., Ellis, T. D., Ford, M. P. ... & Earhart, G. M. (2015). Balance differences in people with Parkinson disease with and without freezing of gait. Gait & Posture, 42(3), 306-309. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gaitpost.2015.06.007
- Giladi, N., Shabtai, H., Simon, E. S., Biran, S., Tal, J. & Korczyn, A. D. (2000). Construction of freezing of gait questionnaire for patients with Parkinsonism. Parkinsonism and Related Disorders, 6(3), 165-170. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1353-8020(99)00062-0
- Goetz, C. G., Poewe, W., Rascol, O., Sampaio, C., Stebbins, G. T., Counsell, C. & Seidl, L. (2004). Movement Disorder Society Task Force report on the Hoehn and Yahr staging scale: status and recommendations the Movement Disorder Society Task Force on rating scales for Parkinson's disease. Movement Disorders, 19(9), 1020-1028. https://doi.org/10.1002/mds.20213
- Grassberger, P. & Procaccia, I. (1983). Characterization of strange attractor. Physical Review Letters, 50, 346-349. https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevLett.50.346
- Harbourne, R. T. & Stergiou, N. (2009). Movement variability and the use of nonlinear tools: principles to guide physical therapist practice. Physical Therapy, 89(3), 267-282. https://doi.org/10.2522/ptj.20080130
- Horak, F. B., Dimitrova, D. & Nutt, J. G. (2005). Direction-specific postural instability in subjects with Parkinson's disease. Experimental Neurology, 193(2), 504-521. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.expneurol.2004.12.008
- Jankovic, J. (2007). Pathophysiology and assessment of parkinsonian symptoms and signs. In: Pahwa R, Lyons K, Koller WC, eds. Handbook of Parkinson' disease. New York: Taylor and Francis Group, LLC, 79-104.
- Kim, C. H., Kim, M. Y. & Lim, B. O. (2015). A Literature Review of Parkinson's Disease Rating, Balance, Fall and Gait Scales. Korean Journal of Sport Biomechanics, 25(4), 441-451. https://doi.org/10.5103/KJSB.2015.25.4.441
- Kwon, Y. C. & Park, J. H. (1989). Standardization of korean version of the Mini-Mental State Examination (MMSE-K) for Use in the Elderly. Part II. Diagnostic Validity. The Korean Neuropsychiatric Association, 28(3), 508-513.
- Lee, D. J. & Ko, T. S. (2010). Relationships between symptoms of depression and cognitive function, physical functions, and activities of dailyliving in stroke patients. Journal of Special Education & Rehabilitation Science, 49(4), 159-178.
- Lee, K. H. & Youm, C. H. (2015). Comparison of Taekwondo Levels and Gender Differences on Postural Control Ability in the Elementary Students Using Nonlinear Analysis. The Korean Journal of Physical Education-Natural Science, 54(3), 551-562.
- Merzenich, M. M. & Jenkins, W. M. (1993). Reorganization of cortical representations of the hand following alterations of skin inputs induced by nerve injury, skin island transfers, and experience. Journal of Hand Therapy, 6(2), 89-104. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0894-1130(12)80290-0
- Moore, O., Peretz, C. & Giladi, N. (2007). Freezing of gait affects quality of life of peoples with Parkinson's disease beyond its relationships with mobility and gait. Movement Disorders, 22(15), 2192-2195. https://doi.org/10.1002/mds.21659
- Moore, D. J., West, A. B., Dawson, V. L. & Dawson, T. M. (2005). Molecular pathophysiology of Parkinson's disease. Annual Review of Neuroscience, 28, 57-87. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.neuro.28.061604.135718
- Movement Disorder Society Task Force on Rating Scales for Parkinson's Disease. (2003). The Unified Parkinson's Disease Rating Scale (UPDRS): status and recommendations. Movement Disorders, 18(7), 738. https://doi.org/10.1002/mds.10473
- Nieuwboer, A., Rochester, L., Herman, T., Vandenberghe, W., Emil, G. E., Thomaes, T. & Giladi, N. (2009). Reliability of the new freezing of gait questionnaire: agreement between patients with Parkinson's disease and their carers. Gait & Posture, 30(4), 459-463. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gaitpost.2009.07.108
- Nudo, R. J., Milliken, G. W., Jenkins, W. M. & Merzenich, M. M. (1996). Use-dependent alterations of movement representations in primary motor cortex of adult squirrel monkeys. Journal of Neuroscience, 16(2), 785-807. https://doi.org/10.1523/JNEUROSCI.16-02-00785.1996
- Nussbaum, R. L. & Ellis, C. E. (2003). Alzheimer's disease and Parkinson's disease. New England Journal of Medicine, 348(14), 1356-1364. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM2003ra020003
- Oh, H. J., Youm, C. H. & Kim, T. H. (2011). Effects of Exercise-Induced Fatigue and Blocked Vision on Postural Control during Upright Stance. Korean Journal of Sport Biomechanics, 21(3), 353-359. https://doi.org/10.5103/KJSB.2011.21.3.353
- Parkinson, J. (2002). An Essay on the Shaking Palsy. Journal of Neuropsychiatry, 14(2), 223-236. https://doi.org/10.1176/jnp.14.2.223
- Park, J. H., Son, K. & Kim, K. H. (2007). Chaos Analysis of Major Joint Motions for Young Males During Walking. Transactions of the Korean Society of Mechanical Engineers A, 31(8), 889-895. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2007.31.8.889
- Pelykh, O., Klein, A. M., Botzel, K., Kosutzka, Z. & Ilmberger, J. (2015). Dynamics of postural control in Parkinson patients with and without symptoms of freezing of gait. Gait & Posture, 42(3), 246-250. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gaitpost.2014.09.021
- Raymakers, J. A., Samson, M. M. & Verhaar, H. J. J. (2005). The assessment of body sway and the choice of the stability parameter(s). Gait & Posture, 21(1), 48-58. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gaitpost.2003.11.006
- Schaafsma, J. D., Balssh, Y., Gurevich, T., Bartels, A. L., Hausdorff, J. M. & Giladi, N. (2003). Characterization of freezing of gait subtypes and the response of each to levodopa in Parkinson's disease. European Journal of Neurology, 10(4), 391-398. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1468-1331.2003.00611.x
- Schieppati, M. & Nardone, A. (1991). Free and supported stance in Parkinson's disease. Brain, 114(3), 1227-1244. https://doi.org/10.1093/brain/114.3.1227
- Sturnieks, D. L., St George, R. & Lord, S. R. (2008). Balance disorders in the elderly. Neurophysiologie Clinique/Clinical Neurophysiology, 38(6), 467-478. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neucli.2008.09.001
- Schmit, J. M., Riley, M. A., Dalvi, A., Sahay, A., Shear, P. K., Shockley, K. D. & Pun, R. Y. (2006). Deterministic center of pressure patterns characterize postural instability in Parkinson's disease. Experimental Brain Research, 168(3), 357-367. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00221-005-0094-y
- Vervoort, G., Nackaerts, E., Mohammadi, F., Heremans, E., Verschueren, S., Nieuwboer, A. & Vercruysse, S. (2013). Which aspects of postural control differentiate between patients with Parkinson's disease with and without freezing of gait?. Parkinson's Disease, 2013.
- Wolf, A., Swift, J. B., Swinney, H. L. & Vastano, J. A. (1985). Determining Lyapunov exponents from a time series. Physica D: Nonlinear Phenomena, 16(3), 285-317. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-2789(85)90011-9
- Youm, C. H., Park, Y. H. & Seo, K. W. (2008). Assessment of Single-leg Stance Balance Using COP 95% Confidence Ellipse Area. Korean Journal of Sport Biomechanics, 18(2), 19-27. https://doi.org/10.5103/KJSB.2008.18.2.019
- The Impact of Dual-Tasking on Postural Stability in People With Parkinson’s Disease With and Without Freezing of Gait vol.32, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1177/1545968318761121