- Volume 17 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
The Influence of Academic Self-efficacy, and Critical Thinking Disposition on Problem Solving Ability of Nursing Students
간호학생의 학업적 자기효능감과 비판적 사고성향이 문제해결능력에 미치는 영향
- Received : 2016.08.24
- Accepted : 2016.09.09
- Published : 2016.09.30
The aim of this study was to investigate the relationship among the variables and the influence of academic self-efficacy and critical thinking disposition on the problem solving ability of nursing students. A descriptive research design was employed in this study. The participants were 404 sophomore nursing students in D city, who were surveyed between May 2 and May 20, 2016, using self-report questionnaire. The data were analyzed with SPSS WIN 21.0 using descriptive statistics, ANOVA, t-test, Scheffe test, Pearson's correlation coefficient, and multiple stepwise regression analysis. Significant correlations among the academic self-efficacy, critical thinking disposition, and problem solving ability were found. In academic self-efficacy and critical thinking disposition, there were significant differences in gender, academic credit, interpersonal relationship, and satisfaction with nursing as a major. The problem solving ability showed statistically significant differences in academic credit, interpersonal relationships, and satisfaction with nursing as a major. The regression model explained 51.7% of the effect on the problem solving ability. Academic self-efficacy and critical thinking disposition were factors influencing the problem solving ability of nursing students. Based on these results, to increase problem solving ability of nursing students, it will be necessary to develop an educational program and strategy for improving the academic self-efficacy and critical thinking disposition.
Academic Self-efficacy;Critical Thinking Disposition;Problem Solving Ability;Nursing;Students
- K. R. Shin, J. Y. Ha, K. H. Kim, A longitudinal study of critical thinking disposition & critical thinking skills in baccalaureate nursing students, Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 382-389, 2005. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2005.35.2.382
- S. J. Lee, Y. K. Chang, H. N. Lee, K. Y. Park, A study on the Development of Life-skills: Communication, Problem Solving and Self-directed Learning, pp. 1-144, Korean Educational Development Institute, 2003.
- H. R. Choi, D. S. Cho, Influence of Nurses' Performance with Critical Thinking and Problem Solving Process, Korean Journal of Women Health Nursing, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 265-274, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2011.17.3.265 https://doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2011.17.3.265
- E. J. Ji, M. R. Bang, H. J. Jeon, Ego Resilience, Communication Ability and Problem-Solving Ability in Nursing Student, Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 571-579, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2013.19.4.571 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2013.19.4.571
- A. N. Park, K. H. Chung, W. G. Kim, Study on the Critical Thinking Disposition, Self-directed Learning Readiness and Professional Nursing Competency, Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 1-10, 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2016.22.1.1 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2016.22.1.1
- J. Yoon, Development of an Instrument for the Measurement of Critical Thinking Disposition: In Nursing, Unpublished Doctoral dissertation, The Catholic University of Korea, Seoul, 2004.
- P. A. Facione, N. C. Facione, C. F. Sanchez, Critical Thinking Disposition as a Measure of Competent Clinical Judgement: The Development of the California Critical Thinking Disposition Inventory, Journal of Nursing Education, vol. 33, no. 8, pp. 345-350, 1994.
- I. S. Kwon, G. E. Lee, G. D. Kim, et al., Development of a Critical Thinking Disposition Scale for Nursing Students, Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing vol. 36, no. 6, pp. 950-958, 2006. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2006.36.6.950
- K. H. Kim, G. D. Kim, The Relationship between Critical Thinking Disposition and Self-Efficacy of College Nursing Students, The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 229-236, 2007.
- S. J. Lee, Y. M. Park, S. M. Noh, The Effects of Simulation Training With Hybrid Model for Nursing Students on Nursing Performance Ability and Self Confidence, Korean Journal of Adult Nursing, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 170-182, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2013.25.2.170 https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2013.25.2.170
- A. Bandura, Social Foundations of Thought and Action: A Social Cognitive Theory, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, Prentice-Hall, 1986.
- A. Y. Kim, Self-Efficacy and Academic Motivation, The Korean Journal of Education Methodology Studies, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 1-39, 2004. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1353/jks.2004.0003 https://doi.org/10.3946/kjme.2004.16.1.1
- K. McLaughlin, M. Moutray, O. T. Muldoon, The Role of Personality and Self-efficacy in the Selection and Retention of Successful Nursing Students: A Longitudinal Study, Journal of Advanced Nursing, vol. 61, no. 3, pp. 211-221, 2008. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2007.04492.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2007.04492.x
- H. L. Sharma, G. Nasa, Academic Self-efficacy: A Reliable Predictor of Educational Performances, British Journal of Education, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 57-64, 2014.
- F. Pajares, Self-efficacy Belief in Academic Setting, Review of Educational Research, vol. 66, no. 4, pp. 543-578, 1996. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3102/00346543066004543 https://doi.org/10.3102/00346543066004543
- F. Pajares, M. D. Miller, Role of Self-efficacy and Self-concept Beliefs in Mathematical Problem Solving: A Path Analysis, Journal of Educational Psychology, vol. 86, no. 2, pp. 193-203, 1994. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0022-06188.8.131.52 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-06184.108.40.206
- A. Y. Kim, I. Y. Park, Development and validation of academic self-efficacy, Korean Journal of Educational Research, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 95-123, 2001.
- J. H. Shin, T. S. Shin, The Analysis of Relations between Academic Achievement, Academic Self-efficacy, Perceived Teacher Expectancy, and Home Environment. The Journal of Child Education, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 5-23, 2006.
- S. H. Yang, I. O. Sim, Relationship between Problem Solving Ability, Critical Thinking Disposition, Creativity, Self Efficacy and Nursing Process Competence of Nursing Students, Journal of the Korea Contents Association, vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 612-622, 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2016.16.05.612 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2016.16.05.612
- C. H. Woo, J. Y. Yoo, J. Y. Park, The Relationship among Hesitation Factor of Questions, Critical Thinking Disposition, and Problem Solving: The University Student's Perspective, Korean Academy Society of Nursing Education, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 320-329, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2015.21.3.320 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2015.21.3.320
- R. W. Ma, Critical Thinking Disposition and Problem Solving Ability of Nursing Students, Unpublished Master's thesis, Ewha Womans University, Seoul, 2009.
- S. A. Yang, Critical Thinking Disposition and Problem Solving Ability in Nursing Students. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 389-398, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2010.16.4.389 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2010.16.4.389
- M. J. Sim, H. S. Oh, Influence of Self Efficacy, Learning Motivation, and Self-Directed Learning on Problem-Solving Ability in Nursing Students, Journal of the Korea Contents Association, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 328-337, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2012.12.06.328 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2012.12.06.328
- P. P. Heppner, C. H. Peterson, The Development and Implications of a Personal Problem Solving Inventory, Journal of Counseling Psychology, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 66-75, 1982. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0022-0220.127.116.11 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-018.104.22.168
- S. K. Chun, A Study on the Effectiveness of Social Skills Training Program for Rehabilitation of the Schizophrenic Patients, Unpublished Doctoral dissertation, Soongsil University, Seoul, 1994.
- S. H. Kim, S. Y. Park, Factors Influencing on Learning Flow of Nursing Students, Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 1557-1565, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.3.1557 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.3.1557
- O. S. Lee, The Relationship between Emotional Intelligence, Academic Self-efficacy and Self-leadership among Nursing Students, Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, vol. 16, no. 9, pp. 6036-6043, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.9.6036 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.9.6036
- Y. O. Nam, M. H. Choi, Relationship between Multiple Intelligences, Academic Self Efficacy and Satisfaction with Major in Dental Hygiene Students, Journal of Korean Society of Dental Hygiene, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 623-629, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2015.15.04.623 https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2015.15.04.623
- M. O. Kim, Study on Self-efficacy, Communication Competency, Critical Thinking Disposition and Clinical Performance Ability of Nursing Students, Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 609-617, 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.6.609 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.6.609
- G. S. Jeong, K. A. Kim, J. A. Seong, The Effect of Learning Style and Critical Thinking Disposition on Communication Skill in Nursing Students, The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 413-422, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2013.19.3.413 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2013.19.3.413
- K. R. Shin, J. Y. Ha, K. H. Kim, The Longitudinal Study of Critical Thinking Dispositions & Critical Thinking Skills in Baccalaureate Nursing Student, Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, vol. 44, no. 3 pp. 52-62, 2005.
- J. Yoon, A Study on the Critical Thinking Disposition of Nursing Students: Focusing on a School Applying Integrated Nursing Curriculum, Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 159-166, 2008.
- J. Y. Lee, M. H. Cho, Correlations Between Self-leadership, Critical Thinking Disposition and Problem Solving Process in a Diploma Nursing Students, Journal of College Education vol. 13, no. 3.4, pp. 241-253, 2012.
- J. Y. Lee, Y. M. Lee, S. Y. Pak, M. J. Lee, Y. H. Jung, Effect of Critical Thinking Disposition on Emotional Regulation, Perceived Stress and Communication Competence among Nursing Students, The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 606-616, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2013.19.4.606 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2013.19.4.606
- J. H. Choi, Factors Influencing Problem Solving Ability of Nursing Students in Local Cities: Focus on Critical Thinking Disposition, Journal of the Korean Data Analysis Society, vol. 13, no. 5, pp. 2473-2485, 2011.