- Volume 17 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Self-transcendence, Life Satisfaction and Preference for care near the end of life of the Elderly
재가노인의 자기초월, 삶의 만족도와 임종기 치료 선호도 관련성
- Received : 2016.07.05
- Accepted : 2016.09.09
- Published : 2016.09.30
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to examine self-transcendence, life satisfaction, and preference for end-of-life care in elderly patients. Method: This was a descriptive survey study. The study period was between August 2013 and October 2013 and included 208 elderly patients. Results: The average scores for self-transcendence, life satisfaction, and preference for end-of-life care were 2.79, 9.97, and 3.24, respectively. Statistically significant positive correlations were observed between self-transcendence and life satisfaction, decision making by health care professionals, spiritual area, family area. A positive correlation was observed between: (1) life satisfaction and spiritual area, (2) decision making by health care professionals and family area, and (3) decision making by health care professionals and pain area. Self-transcendence was a significant predictor of PCEOL. Conclusion: This study will provide basic information for use in the development of a program to encourage self- transcendence and life satisfaction, as well as to consider the elder's autonomy, pain control, and spirituality as important factors at the end-of-life care.
satisfaction;Advance care planning;transcend;elderly
- Korea National Statistical Office(KNSO). The autumn of future population. Retrived from http://www.nao.fo.kr, January, 12. 2011.
- P. G. Reed, "Demystifying self-transcendense for mental health nursing practice and research", Archives of Psychiatric Nursing, Vol. 23, no. 5, pp. 397-400, 2009. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.apnu.2009.06.006 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apnu.2009.06.006
- D. Baker, "Relationship of self-transcendence and death anxiety to older adult's participation in health promotion behavior", Journal of Nursing Research, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 1-10, 2009.
- J. Neill, "Transcendence and transformation in the life patterns of women living with rheumatoid arthritis", Advances in Nursing Science, vol. 24, pp. 27-47. 2002. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/00012272-200206000-00008 https://doi.org/10.1097/00012272-200206000-00008
- B. Nygren, L. Alex, E. Jonsen, Y. Gustafson, A. Norberg, B. Lundman, "Resilence, sense of coherence, purpose in life and self-transcendence in relation to perceived physical and mental health among the oldest old", Aging & Mental Health, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 354-362, 2005. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/1360500114415 https://doi.org/10.1080/1360500114415
- J. C. Thomas, M. Burton, M. T. Griffin, J. J. Fitzpatrick, self-transcendence, spiritual well-being and spiritual practice of women with breast cancer", Journal of Holistic care. vol. 28, pp. 116-122, 2010.
- E, J. Kim, Y. Kim, "Predictors of successful aging in korean women based on successful aging theory(SAT)", Korean Journal Women Health Nursing, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 378-387, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2011.17.4.378 https://doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2011.17.4.378
- H. K. Kim, "Gender difference of the influencing factors on successful aging among rural community dwelling korean elders", Journal of the Korean Gerontological Society, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 819-834, 2012.
- S. Y, Kim, "The lived experience of self-transcendence of elders", Korean Journal of Adult Nursing, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 595-605, 2000.
- S. Y. Kim, J, I. Lee, "Self-transcendence, spiritual well-being and death anxiety of the elderly", Journal of Korean Public Health Nursing, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 480-489, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5932/JKPHN.2013.27.3.480
- S. Y. Kim, "The effect of self-transcendence and loneliness on quality of life of the elderly", Journal of the Korean Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 16 no. 10, pp. 6679-6687, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.10.6679 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.10.6679
- K. B. Bean, K. Wagner, "Self-transcendence, illness distress, and quality of life among liver transplant recipients", The Journal of theory Construction and Testing, vol. 10 no. 2, pp. 47-53, 2005.
- K. H. Kim, H. K. Chung, M. H. Choi, H. J. Kwon, "A study on self-efficacy and quality of life in the elderly patients with chronic pain", Journal of Korean academy of fundamental Nursing. vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 332-344, 2000.
- Z. K. Park, "Life satisfaction of people with disabilities : a theoretical model and its empirical test", A doctoral thesis of Sungkyunkwan University of Korea, 2009.
- Chosun Il bo, 12. 8, 2015.
- S. Kim, S. Y. Kim, K. Kim, "Death Anxiety and preferences regarding end-of-life medical care", Korean Journal of Medical Ethics, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 413-426, 2011.
- Y. Lee, S. Kim, "Validating the korean version of the preference for care near the end of life(PCEOL-K) scale", Korean Journal Medical Ethics, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 29-42, 2009.
- D. S. Kim, A. Y. So, K. S. Lee, J S. Choi, "Comparing the preference for terminal care in nurses and patients, Journal Muscle Joint Health, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 214-224, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5953/JMJH.2013.20.3.214 https://doi.org/10.5953/JMJH.2013.20.3.214
- P. G. Reed, "Self-transcendence and mental health in oldest-old adults", Nursing Research, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 5-11, 1991. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/00006199-199101000-00002
- P. G. Reed, "Religiousness among terminally ill and health adults", Research in Nursing & Health, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 35-41, 1986. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/nur.4770090107 https://doi.org/10.1002/nur.4770090107
- A. Campbell, "The sense of well-being". American Psychologist, vol. 31. pp. 114-117, 1981.
- M. S. Lee, " Factors influencing subjective quality of life of the workers", A doctoral thesis of Yonsei University of Korea, 1998.
- D. M Gauthier, R. D. Froman, "Preference for care near the end of life : scale development and validation", Research in Nursing & Health, vol. 24. no. 4, pp. 298-306, 2001. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/nur.1031 https://doi.org/10.1002/nur.1031
- Y. K. Kim, J. W. Lee, "Influencing factors on life satisfaction in female elderly with degenerative knee arthritis-pain, activity of dailly living(ADL), depression", Journal of the Korean Data Analysis Society, vol. 13. no. 6, pp. 3009-3020, 2011.
- H. S.Kim, S. Kim, S. J. Yu, M. Kim, "The preference for care near end of life of Korean nurse", The Korean of Hospice and Palliative Care, vol. 13. no. 1, pp. 41-49, 2010.
- S. M. Lee, "Patients and family determination in medical decision making", Korea Journal of Medical Ethics, vol. 12. no. 4, pp. 323-334, 2009.
- K.E. Streinhauser, N. A Christakis, E. C. Clipp, M. McNeilly, L. Mclntyre, J. A. Tulsky, " Factors considered important at the end of life by patients, family, physicians, and other care providers", JAMA, vol. 284, pp. 2476-2482, 2000. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1001/jama.284.19.2476 https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.284.19.2476
- C. M. Cho, "Factors influencing the quality of life in low-income elderly living an home : a literature review",. Journal fo Korean Public Health Nursing, vol. .27, no. 2, pp. 372-383, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5932/JKPHN.2013.27.2.372
- U. Jackobson, I. R. Hallberg, "Quallity of life among older adult with osteoarthritis", Journal of Gerontological Nursing, Vo. l, no. 8, pp. 51-60, 2002.
- K. O. Chang, M. J. Kim. I-J. Kim, "Effect of perceived health status, self-esteem and quality of life on life satisfaction of elders living at home", Journal of the Korean Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 16 no. 7, pp. 4723-4733, 2015. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.7.4723
- S. Kim, M. Lee, S. Y. Kim, "A survey on life sustaining treatment experienced by adults with deceased family member", Journal of the Korea Gerontological Society, vol. 21. no. 3, pp. 15-27, 2002.
- K H. Kim, H. J. Kwon, M. H. Choi, Y. J. Park, S. K. Kim, "psychological and spiritual factors associated with death anxiety of elderly people living at home", Journal of Korean academy Psychiatry Mental health Nursing, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 96-105, 2010. https://doi.org/10.12934/jkpmhn.2010.19.1.96