- Volume 50 Issue 3
The purpose of this study is to measure self images of public librarians who should increasingly take charge of services for children and young people through the semantic differential method and analyze its' general characteristics. According to the results of analysis public librarians have been satisfied with their works and believed that they are kind, fair and gentle. One the other hand, they have had negative self images such as no influence, neglect, poor and stuffiness. Therefore, the result show that public librarians consider their ability, quality and activity as positive images, but they have felt lack of the social consensus and affirmative evaluation of their role. So, we can see building a good physical environment and running great programs to create access of children and young people to the public libraries, demonstrating leadership among senior librarians are so important in order to beat the stereotype and improve their positive self images of their evaluation and role. It is also necessary to promote the new value and role of public libraries and librarianship and to enable retraining for cultivating their qualities as a teacher.
Public Librarian;Librarians' Self Images;Self Images;Librarians' Images;Semantic Differential Method
- 교육부. 2015. 초․중등학교 교육과정 총론. 세종: 교육부. Ministry of Education. 2015. National Curriculum Standards. Sejong: Ministry of Education.
- 박경숙. 1974. 意味辨別法에 의한 '선생'의 이미지 測定. 한국교육, 1(2): 61-73. Park, Kyeong Sook. 1974. "An Exploratory Study for Measurement of Student's Image onTeacher." Journal of Korean Education, 1(2): 61-73.
- 변우열, 이병기, 송기호. 2013. 사서교사의 자아상 검사 도구 개발과 자아상 분석. 한국비블리아학 회지, 24(2): 31-47. Byun, Woo-Yeoul, Lee, Byeong-Ki and Song, Gi-Ho. 2013. "The Study on the Developmentof the Measurement Tool and Analysis of Self Images for Teacher Librarians." Journal ofthe Korean Biblia Society for Library and Information Science, 24(2): 31-47.
- 우윤희, 김종성. 2014. 우리나라 창작동화에 나타난 도서관 사서. 한국문헌정보학회지, 48(1):277-298.Woo, Yun-Hee and Kim, Jong-Sung. 2014. "Reflection of Libraries and Librarians in KoreanChildren's Literature." Journal of the Korean Library and Information Science Society, 48(1):277-298.
- 이경란, 한복희. 2009. 공공도서관 청소년 프로그램 분석과 활성화 방안 연구. 한국비블리아학회지, 20(4): 115-130. Lee, Kyeong-Ran and Hahn, Bock-Hee. 2009. "A Study on Young Adults' Programs Analysis& Revitalization in Public Library." Journal of the Korean Biblia Society for Library andInformation Science, 20(4): 115-130.
- 이은철, 김갑선. 2002. 사서직의 직업 이미지에 관한 연구. 한국문헌정보학회지, 36(3): 25-47. Lee, Eun-Chul and Kim, Gap-Sun. 2002. "A Study on the Professional Image of Librarianship." Journal of the Korean Library and Information Science Society, 36(3): 25-47.
- 이학주. 2000. 의미변별법으로 측정한 교사의 자아상. 한국교사교육, 17(1): 183-205. Lee, Hak-Joo. 2000. "Teachers' Self-Image Measured by S. D. Method." The Journal ofKorean Teacher Education, 17(1): 183-205.
- 임경원 외. 2006. 특수학교 교사의 자아상: 의미변별척도의 적용. 정서․행동장애연구, 22(3):213-233. Lim, Kyoung Won et al. 2006. "Self-Images of Special Education Teachers: The Application ofa Semantic Differential Meaning Scale." The Journal of the Korean Association on DevelopmentalDisabilities, 22(3): 213-233.
- 임상직. 2003. 의미변별법에 의한 초등학교장의 이미지 분석. 석사학위논문, 대구대학교 교육대학원 초등교육행정 전공. Lim, Sang-zik. 2003. Analysis of Elementary School Principal Image by the Semantic DifferentialMethod. M.A. thesis, Major in Elementary Educational Administration, Graduate School ofEducation, Daegu National University of Education, Korea.
- 임승렬. 2003. 유치원 교사의 자아상(self-image) 검사도구 개발과 자아상 분석. 열린유아교육연구, 8(2): 315-332. Im, Seung Lyeol. 2003. "The Study on the Development of the Measurement Tool andAnalysis of Self Images of Kindergarten Teachers." The Journal of Korea Open Associationfor Early Childhood Education, 8(2): 315-332.
- 전창호, 김선호. 2008. 영화에 나타난 사서의 이미지 분석. 정보관리연구, 39(1): 151-176. Jeon, Chang-Ho and Kim, Sun-Ho. 2008. "Analysis of the Image of Libraians in MotionPictures." Journal of information management, 39(1): 151-176.
Elliott, M. A. 1996. The Librarian's Stereotyped Image in Romance Novels, 1980-1995: Has the Image Changed?. M.A. thesis, Kent State University School of Library Science, USA. [online] [cited 2016. 5. 24.]
IFLA and UNESCO. 1994. Public Library Manifesto. [online] [cited 2016. 4. 1.]
- IFLA and UNESCO. 2011. Public Library Service Guidelines. 2nd ed. Berlin: Walter de Gruyter GmbH & Co. KG.
Kitchen, B. 2000. Librarian's Image in Children's Fiction. [online] [cited 2015. 5. 24.]
Limerick, S. B. 2005. From Buns to Batgirl: The Changing Image of the Librarian. [online] [cited 2015. 5. 24.]
- Prentice, A. E. 2011. Public Libraries in the 21st Century. Santa Barbara, CA: Libraries Unlimited.
Pultorak, L. A. 1993. The Image of Librarian in Poetry, 1958-1993. M.A. thesis, Kent State University of Library and Information Science, USA. [online] [cited 2016. 5. 24.]
- Shera, J. H. 1970. Sociological Foundations of Librarianship. 윤영 역. 1984. 도서관학의 사회학적 기반. 서울: 구미무역출판부. Shera, Jesse Hauk. 1970. Sociological Foundations of Librarianship. Translated by Yun, Young. 1984. Seoul: Gumimuyeokchoolpanbu.
- Vassilakaki, E. and Moniarou-Papaconstantinou, V. 2014. "Identifying the Prevailing Images in Library and Information Science Profession: Is the Landscape Changing?." New Library World, 115(7/8): 355-375. https://doi.org/10.1108/NLW-03-2014-0029
- Ziarnik, N. R. 2003. School & Public Libraries: Developing the Natural Alliance. Chicago:American Library Association.