- Volume 11 Issue 4
A Study on the Relationship among Religious Commitment, Individual Traits, and Entrepreneurial Intentions of College Students in Korea
대학생의 종교몰입과 개인특성이 창업의지에 미치는 영향에 관한 연구
- Lee, Joo-Heon (College of Business & Government, Yonsei University)
- 이주헌 (연세대학교 정경대학)
- Received : 2015.12.03
- Accepted : 2016.06.30
- Published : 2016.08.31
Religion can affect on every day lives of individuals in society. Also, religion can affect on personal networks and the formation of a social culture that may lead to influence individual decision makers. Religion can influence values and ethics of people in society. However, according to the secularization hypothesis, as an economy becomes more efficient and the members of a society becomes more educated, the influence and control of religion over people tend to become diminished more. How is religion related with entrepreneurship? There are not so many empirical studies that examine relationship between religion and entrepreneurship. The purpose of this article is that we empirically examine how religious commitment, in addition to individual traits such as need for achievement, perceived creativity, problem solving ability and entrepreneurial parents or friends. Our study is based on survey sample of 229 college students in Korea. The results we found are as follows. First, religious commitment does not have effect on entrepreneurial intention. Also, religion commitment has no relationship with need for achievement, perceived creativity, problem solving ability, and entrepreneurial parents or friends. Second, consistent with previous studies, need for achievement and entrepreneurial parents or friends have meaningful effect on entrepreneurial intention. Third, perceived creativity is a full mediation variable between need for achievement and entrepreneurial intention.
Supported by : 연세대학교
- Ajen, I.(1991). The Theory of Planned Behavior, Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 50(2), 179-211. https://doi.org/10.1016/0749-5978(91)90020-T
- Amabile, T. M.(1983). The Social Psychology of Creativity: A Componential Conceptualization, Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 45(2), 357-376. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3522.214.171.1247
- Amabile, T. M.(1997). Motivating Creativity in Organizations, California Management Review, 40(1), 39-58. https://doi.org/10.2307/41165921
- Anderson, A. R., Drakopoulou-Dod, S. & Scott, M. G.(2000). Religion as an Environmental Influence on Enterprise Culture-the Case of Britain in the 1980s, International Journal of Entrepreneurial Behavior & Research, 6(1), 5-20. https://doi.org/10.1108/13552550010323050
- Audretsch, D. B., Bonte, W. & Tamvada, J. P.(2007). Religion and Entrepreneurship, Jena Economic Research Paper No. 2007-075.
- Bae, B. Y. & Lee, J. H.(2015). A Study on the Regulatory Focus, Entrepreneurship, and Entrepreneurial Intentions of College Students in Korea, Asia-Pacific Journal of Business Venturing and Entrepreneurship, 10(6), 215-223. https://doi.org/10.16972/apjbve.10.6.201512.215
- Baron, R. M. & Kenny, D. A.(1986). The Moderator-mediator Variable Distinction in Social Psychology Research : Conceptual and Statistical Consideration, Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 51(6), 1173-1182. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35126.96.36.1993
- Barro, R. J. & McCleary, R. M.(2003). Religion and Economic Growth across Countries, American Sociological Review, 68(5), 760-781. https://doi.org/10.2307/1519761
- Bosma, N. S., Hessels, S. J. A., Schutjens, V. A. J. M., Van Praag, C. M. & Verheul, I.(2011). Entrepreneurship and Role Models, Journal of Economic Psychology, 33(2), 410-424. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joep.2011.03.004
- Carswell, P. & Rolland, D.(2007). Religion and Entrepreneurship in New Zealand, Journal of Enterprising Communities : People and Places in the Global Economy, 1(2), 162-174. https://doi.org/10.1108/17506200710752584
- Dewey, J.(1910). How We Think, D. C. Heath & Co., Boston, MA.
- Djankov, S., Qian, Y., Roland, G. & Zhuravskaya, E.(2006). Entrepreneurship in China and Russia Compared, Journal of the European Economic Association, 3, 587-597.
- Eisenstadt, S. N.(1968). The Protestant Ethic and Modernization : A Comparative View, Basic Books, New York.
- Emami, M. & Nazari, K.(2012). Entrepreneurship, Religion, and Business Ethics, Australian Journal of Business and Management Research, 1(11), 59-69.
- Farmer, S., Tierney, M. P. & Kung-Mcintyre, K.(2003). Employee Creativity in Taiwan : An Application of Role Identity Theory, Academy of Management Journal, 46(5), 618-630. https://doi.org/10.2307/30040653
- Guilford, J. P.(1967). The Nature of Human Intelligence, McGraw-Hill, New York.
- Heppner, P. P. & Peterson, C. H.(1982). The Development and Implication of a Personal Problem-solving Inventory, Journal of Counseling Psychology, 29(1), 66-75. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-0188.8.131.52
- Koh, H. C.(1996). Testing Hypotheses of Entrepreneurial Characteristics : A Study of Hong Kong MBA Students, Journal of Managerial Psychology, 11(3), 12-25. https://doi.org/10.1108/02683949610113566
- Krueger, N., Reily, M & Carsrud, A.(2000). Competing Models of Entrepreneurial Intentions, Journal of Business Venturing, 15(5/6), 411-432. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0883-9026(98)00033-0
- Lee, J. H. & Bian, G. X.(2011). A Study on the Relationship between Entrepreneurial Orientations and Entrepreneurial Intentions of College Students, Proceedings of Conference on Business Venturing, 12, 37-46.
- Lee, J. H. & Venkataraman, S.(2006). Aspirations, Market Offerings and the Pursuit of Entrepreneurial Opportunities, Journal of Business Venturing, 21(1), 107-123. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusvent.2005.01.002
- Lent, R. W., Brown, S. D., & Hackett, G.(1994). Toward a Unifying Social Cognitive Theory of Career and Academic Interest, Choice and Performance, Journal of Vocational Behavior, 45(1), 79-122. https://doi.org/10.1006/jvbe.1994.1027
- Lumpkin, G. T. & Erdogan, B.(2004). If Not Entrepreneurship, Can Psychological Characteristics Predict Entrepreneurial Orientation?-A Pilot Study, The ICFAI Journal of Entrepreneurship Development, 1(1), 21-33.
- Lewis, W. A.(1955). The Theory of Economic Growth, Richard D. Irwin, Homewood, IL.
- McClelland, D. C.(1961). The Achieving Society, Van Nostrand, Princeton.
- Minns, C. & Rizov, M.(2005). The Spirit of Capitalism? Ethnicity, Religion, and Self-employment in Early 20th Century Canada, Explorations in Economic History, 42(2), 259-281. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eeh.2004.07.002
- Ozgen, E. & Baron, R.(2007). Social Sources of Information in Opportunity Recognition: Effects of Mentors, Industry Networks and Professional Forums, Journal of Business Venturing, 22(2), 174-192. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusvent.2005.12.001
- Park, J. Y. & Yang, H. S.(2014). Entrepreneurial Intentions: Focusing on Entrepreneurial Education Completed Prefounders, Asia-Pacific Journal of Business Venturing and Entrepreneurship, 9(2), 97-107.
- Ronstadt, R. C.(1984). Entrepreneurship, Lord Publishing, Dover, MA.
- Rossman, J.(1931). The Psychology of the Inventor: A Study of the Patentee, Inventor's Publishing Co., Washington, DC.
- Scherer, R. F., Adams, J. S., Carley, S. & Wiebe, F. A.(1989). Role Model Performance Effects on Development of Entrepreneurial Career Preference, Entrepreneurship Theory & Practice, 13(3), 53-71. https://doi.org/10.1177/104225878901300306
- Scott, M. F. & Twomey, D. F.(1988). The Long Term Supply of Entrepreneurs: Students Career Aspirations in Relation to Entrepreneurship, Journal of Small Business Management, 26(4), 5-14.
- Sexton, D. L. & Bowman, N.(1985). The Entrepreneur: A Capable Executive and More, Journal of Business Venturing, 1(1), 129-140. https://doi.org/10.1016/0883-9026(85)90012-6
- Shapero, A.(1985). Managing Professional People : Understanding Creative Performance, Free Press, New York.
- Tawney, R. H.(1926). Religion and the Rise of Capitalism, Harcourt, Brace and Company, New York.
- Walter, S. G., Parboteeah, K. P. & Walter, A.(2013). University Departments and Self-Employment Intentions of Business Students : A Cross-Level Analysis, Entrepreneurship Theory & Practice, 37(2), 175-200. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-6520.2011.00460.x
- Weber, M.(1930). The Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism, translated by T. Parson, Allen & Unwin, London.
- Weisberg, R.(1986). Creativity: Genius and Other Myths, W. H. Freeman and Company, New York.
- Wiseman, T. & Young, A.(2013). Religion and Entrepreneurship Activity in the US, The Annual Proceedings of the Wealth and Well-being of Nations, 5, 95-114.
- Worthington, E. L., Wade, N. G., Hight, T. L., McCullough, M. E., Berry, J. T. & Ripley, J. S.(2003). The Religious Commitment Inventory-10 : development, Refinement and Validation of a Brief Scale for Research and Counseling, Journal of Counseling Psychology, 50(1), 84-96. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-0184.108.40.206
- Yoo, B. H.(2015). The Effect of Achievement Needs and Entrepreneurship on the Start-up Intention, Asia-Pacific Journal of Business Venturing and Entrepreneurship, 10(3), 51-60.
- Zampetakis, L. A. & Moustakis, V.(2006). Linking Creativity with Entrepreneurial Intentions : A Structural Approach, Entrepreneurship Management, 2, 413-428.