- Volume 25 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Recent Observations of Micro-earthquakes and Its Implications for Seismic Risk in the Seoul Metropolitan Region, Korea
최근 관측된 수도권 지역 미소지진과 지진위험성
- Received : 2016.07.25
- Accepted : 2016.08.22
- Published : 2016.09.30
A moment magnitude 3.1 earthquake occurred in the Seoul metropolitan region (SMR), Korea, on 9 February 2010. The unexpected shaking attracted much attention and raised concerns about the seismic hazards and risks in the SMR, which was regarded as an area safe from any earthquake hazard. The SMR has a population of 25 million and is one of the largest metropolitan areas in the world. A shakemap for a scenario earthquake with magnitude 6.5 and focal depth 12 km implies that the SMR will be exposed to serious risk because of its large population and the high vulnerability of its buildings. Although the instrumentally recorded earthquakes discussed in this article cannot be classified as major events, they should not be discounted as insignificant. Considering the low seismicity, micro-earthquakes below the magnitude of a conventional seismic network can achieve would be used to estimate background information in the evaluation of earthquake hazards and risks.
Seismic hazard;Historic earthquakes;Repeating earthquakes;The Seoul metropolitan region
- Bath, M., 1979, Introduction to Seismology, Birkhauser Verlag.
- Chiu, J.-M. and Kim, S.G., 2004, Estimation of Regional Seismic Hazard in the Korean Peninsula Using Historical Earthquake Data between A.D. 2 and 1995, Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, 94, 269-284. https://doi.org/10.1785/0120010256
- Choi, S.J., 2011, Active Fault Map and Seismic Hazard Map. Seoul, Natural Hazard Mitigation Research Group, 724.
- Gibbons, S.J. and Ringdal, F., 2006, The detection of low magnitude seismic events using array-based waveform correlation, Geophysical Journal International, 165, 149-166. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-246X.2006.02865.x
- Kang, S.Y., Kim, K.-H., Suk, B.-C., and Yoo, H.S., 2007, Attenuation relations in HAZUS for earthquake loss estimation in Korea, Journal of Earthquake Engineering Society of Korea, 11, 15-21. https://doi.org/10.5000/EESK.2007.11.6.015
- KIGAM, 1975, Geology Map of Korea - Anyang.
- Kim, W.-Y. and Kim, K.-H., 2014, The 9 Feburary 2010 Siheung, Korea, Earthquake Sequence: Repeating Earthquakes in a Stable Continental Region, Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, 104, 551-559. https://doi.org/10.1785/0120130119
- Kim, Y.-S. and Jin, K., 2007, Estimated earthquake magnitudes based on fault displacement data of Quaternary faults in SE Korea. Quaternary Tectonics of Southeastern Korea. W.-S. Kee, Y.-H. Kihm and K.-Y. Song. Daejeon, Korea Institute of Geoscience and Mineral Resources, 57-78.
- KMA, 2016, Earthquake Catalog, http://www.kma.go.kr/weather/earthquake_volcano/domesticlist.jsp, assessed on 2016 January 2.
- Kyung, J.B., 2010, Paleoseismological Study and Evaluation of Maximum Earthquake Magnitude along the Yangsan and Ulsan Fault Zones in the Southeastern Part of Korea, Jigu-Muli-wa-Mulli-Tamsa, 13, 187-197.
- Kyung, J.B., 2012, Characteristics of Damaging Earthquakes occurred in Seoul Metropolitan Area for the Last Two Thousand Years, Journal of Korean Earth Science Society, 33, 637-644. https://doi.org/10.5467/JKESS.2012.33.7.637
- Kyung, J.B., Jung, M.K., Baek, J.J., Im, Y.J. and Lee, K., 2010, Historic Earthquake Catalog in the Korea Peninsula. Seoul, Korea Meteorological Administration, 475.
- Kyung, J.B., Oike, K., and Hori, T., 1996, Temporal variations in seismic and volcanic activity and relationship with stress fields in East Asia, Tectonophysics, 267, 331-342. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0040-1951(96)00068-6
- Lee, K., 1987, Earthquakes, in Geology of Korea, D.-S. Lee (Editor), Kyohak-Sa, 269-275.
- Lee, K., 1998, Historical Earthquake Data of Korea, Journal of Geophysical Society of Korea, 1, 3-22.
- Lee, K. and Yang, W.-S., 2006, Historical Seismicity of Korea, Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, 96, 846-855, doi:10.1785/0120050050. https://doi.org/10.1785/0120050050
- Li, Q., Liu, M., and Stein, S., 2009, Spatiotemporal Complexity of Continental Intraplate Seismicity: Insights from Geodynamic Modeling and Implications for Seismic Hazard Estimation, Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, 99, 52-60. https://doi.org/10.1785/0120080005
- Mei, S.Y., 1965, Characteristics of earthquake activity in China, Acta Geophysica Sinica, 9, 1-19.
- Mogi, K., 1966, Some features of recent seismicity in and near Japan (2). Acitivity before and after great earthquakes, Bulletin of Earthquake Research Institute, 47, 395-417.
- MOI, 2016, Statistics: Resident registration, http://rcps.egov.go.kr:8081/jsp/stat/ppl_stat_jf.jsp, assessed on 2016 1, 7.
- Musha, K., 1951, Catalog of Earthquakes and Volcanic Activities Occurred in and near Japan, Mainich Press.
- NEIC, 2016, Search Earthquake Archives, National Earthquake Information Center, Earthquake Hazard Program,, http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/search/, assessed on 2016 May 7.
- OpenSHA, 2013, Open Seiamic Hazard Analysis, http://opensha.org/overview, assessed on 2016 March 30.
- Sadigh, K., Chang, C.-Y., Egan, J.A., Makdisi, F. and Youngs, R. R., 1997, Attenuation Relationships for Shallow Crustal Earthquakes based on California Strong Motion Data, Seismological Research Letters, 68, 180-189. https://doi.org/10.1785/gssrl.68.1.180
- Shimazaki, K., 1984, Mid-plate, plate-margin, and plateboundary earthquakes and stress transmission in Far East, in A collection of papers of International Symposium on continental seismicity and earthquake prediction, G. Gu and X. Ma (Editors), Seismological Press, 132-147.
- Son, M., Song, C.W., Kim, M.-C., Cheon, Y., Cho, H. and Shon, Y. K., 2015, Miocene tectonic evolution of the basins and fault systems, SE Korea: dextral, simple shear during the East Sea (Sea of Japan) opening, Journal of the Geological Society, 172, 664-680. https://doi.org/10.1144/jgs2014-079
- Wada, Y., 1912, A survey of Korean ancient and recent earthquakes. Study of Korean ancient observations, Meteorological Observation of the Government General of Korea, 79-105.
- Wald, D. and Allen, T.I., 2007, Topographic Slope as a Proxy for Seismic Site Conditions and Amplification, Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, 97, 1379-1395. https://doi.org/10.1785/0120060267
- Wells, D.L. and Coppersmith, K.J., 1994, New Empirical Relationships among Magnitude, Rupture Length, Rupture Width, Rupture Area, and Surface Displacement, Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, 84, 974-1002.
- Bird, P., 2003, An updated digital model of plate boundaries, Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems, 4.
- KIGAM, 2016, Earthquake Data, https://quake.kigam.re.kr/pds/db/db.html, assessed on 2016 January 2.
- Editorial : Neotectonic and Magma Evolution in the Korean Peninsula and Its Vicinity vol.25, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7854/JPSK.2016.25.3.165
Supported by : Pusan National University