- Volume 22 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Rotation capacity of composite beam connected to RHS column, experimental test results
- Eslami, Mohammadreza (Department of Architecture, Kobe University) ;
- Namba, Hisashi (Department of Architecture, Kobe University)
- Received : 2015.08.31
- Accepted : 2016.09.23
- Published : 2016.09.20
Commonly in steel frames, steel beam and concrete slab are connected together by shear keys to work as a unit member which is called composite beam. When a composite beam is subjected to positive bending, flexural strength and stiffness of the beam can be increased due to "composite action". At the same time despite these advantages, composite action increases the strain at the beam bottom flange and it might affect beam plastic rotation capacity. This paper presents results of study on the rotation capacity of composite beam connected to Rectangular Hollow Section (RHS) column in the steel moment resisting frame buildings. Due to out-of-plane deformation of column flange, moment transfer efficiency of web connection is reduced and this results in reduction of beam plastic rotation capacity. In order to investigate the effects of width-to-thickness ratio (B/t) of RHS column on the rotation capacity of composite beam, cyclic loading tests were conducted on three full scale beam-to-column subassemblies. Detailed study on the different steel beam damages and concrete slab damages are presented. Experimental data showed the importance of this parameter of RHS column on the seismic behavior of composite beams. It is found that occurrence of severe concrete bearing crush at the face of RHS column of specimen with smaller width-to-thickness ratio resulted in considerable reduction on the rate of strain increase in the bottom flange. This behavior resulted in considerable improvement of rotation capacity of this specimen compared with composite and even bare steel beam connected to the RHS column with larger width-to-thickness ratio.
Supported by : Ministry of Education of Japan (Monbukagakusho)
- Matsuo, A., Nakamura, Y., Takamatsu, T. and Matsui, Y. (2000), "Fracture and plastic deformation capacity of the welded joint of composite beam-to-steel column connections", Proceedings of the 12th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering (WCEE), Auckland, New Zealand, January-February, p. 0181.
- Nakashima, M. and Chusilp, P. (2002), "A partial view of Japanese Post-Kobe seismic design and construction practices", Earthq. Eng. Eng. Seismol., 4(1), 3-14.
- Nakashima, M., Roeder, C.W. and Maruoka, Y. (2000), "Steel moment frames for earthquakes in United States and Japan", J. Struct. Eng., ASCE, 126(8), 861-868. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2000)126:8(861)
- Okada, K. and Yamada, S. (2001), "Experimental study on deformation capacity of composite beams with conventional type beam-to-column connections", J. Struct. Constr. Eng., AIJ, 547, 161-168.
- Okada, K., Sang-Hoon, T. and Yamada, S. (2004), "Tests on ductility capacity of composite beams", Proceedings of the 7th Pacific Structural Steel Conference (PSSC), Long Beach, CA, USA, March.
- Saneei Nia, Z., Ghassemieh, M. and Mazroi, A. (2014), "Panel zone evaluation of direct connection to box column subjected to bidirectional loading", The Structural Design of Tall and Special Buildings, 23(11), 833-853. https://doi.org/10.1002/tal.1085
- Tagawa Y., Nishiyama, I. and Yang, I. (2003), "Elasto-plastic behavior of new composite beam system", Int. J. Steel Struct., 3(1), 45-52.
- Tanaka, T., Suita, K. and Asakura, N. (2013), "Cyclic loading tests on composite beams with scallops (Part 15)," Proceedings of Annual Meeting of Architectural Institute of Japan (AIJ), Hokkaido, Japan, September, pp. 745-746.
- Wang, W., Fang, C., Qin, X., Chen, Y. and Li, L. (2016), "Performance of practical beam-to-SHS column connections against progressive collapse", Eng. Struct., 106, 332-347. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2015.10.040
- Yamada, S., Satsukawa, K., Kishikik, S., Shimada, Y., Matsuoka, Y. and Suita, K. (2009), "Elasto-plastic behavior of panel zone in beam to external column connection with concrete slab", J. Struct. Construct. Eng. (Transactions of AIJ), 74(644), 1841-1849. https://doi.org/10.3130/aijs.74.1841
- Yu, Y., Chen, Z. and Wang, X. (2015), "Effect of column flange flexibility on WF-beam to rectangular CFT column connections", J. Construct. Steel Res., 106, 184-197. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2014.12.008
- AIJ (2012), Recommendation for Design of Connections in Steel Structures; Architectural Institute of Japan, Japan, pp. 144-150.
- AISC 341-10 (2010), Seismic Provisions for Structural Steel Buildings; American Institute of Steel Construction, Chicago, IL, USA.
- AISC 360-10 (2010), Specification for Structural Steel Buildings; American Institute of Steel Construction, Chicago, IL, USA, pp. 16.1-xlviii.
- Eslami, M. and Namba, H. (2013), "Ultimate flexural strength of composite beam connected to RHS column", Architectural Institute of Japan (AIJ) Summaries of Technical Papers of Annual Meeting 2013, Hokkaido, Japan, September, pp. 813-814.
- Eslami, M. and Namba, H. (2014), "Effects of width-to-thickness ratio of RHS column on the elasto-plastic behavior of composite veam", Memories of the Graduate Schools of Engineering and System Informatics Kobe University, (Volume 6), pp. 1-6. DOI: 10.5047/gseku.e.2014.001
- Eslami, M., Rahiminia, F. and Haghighi, B. (2009), "Experiences of design, fabrication and installation of TV towers with concrete shaft and head steel structures", Proceedings of STESSA 2009 Behaviour of Steel Structures in Seismic Areas, Bethlehem, PA, USA, August, pp. 79-86. DOI: 10.1201/9780203861592.ch12 https://doi.org/10.1201/9780203861592.ch12
- Eslami, M., Namba, H. and Fukuoka, T. (2013), "Improvement of seismic behavior of composite beam connected to RHS column with application of slit and modification of studs layout", Proceedings of the 10th Pacific Structural Steel (PSSC 2013), Hokkaido, Japan, October, pp. 861-866. DOI: 10.3850/978-981-07-7137-9_200 https://doi.org/10.3850/978-981-07-7137-9_200
- FEMA-355E (2000), State of the Art Report on Past Performance of Steel Moment-Frame Buildings in Earthquakes; Federal Emergency Management Agency, Washington, D.C., USA, pp. C1-C24.
- Fukuoka, T., Eslami, M. and Namba, H. (2013), "Plastic rotation capacity of composite beams connected to RHS columns: Part 1: Experimental tests using column with D/t = 29", Architectural Institute of Japan (AIJ) Summaries of Technical Papers of Annual Meeting 2013, Hokkaido, Japan, September, pp. 813-814.
- JASS 6 (2007), Japanese Architectural Standard Specification JASS 6: Structural Steelwork Specification for Building Construction, Tokyo, Japan.
- Kim, Y. and Oh, S. (2007), "Effect of the moment transfer efficiency of a beam web on deformation capacity at box column-to-H beam connections", J. Construct. Steel Res., 63(1), 24-36. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2006.02.009
- Matsuo, A. and Nakamura, Y. (1999), "A study on strain and plastic deformation capacity of composite beam-to-RHS column with thorough diaphragm (Part 1: Experimental planning and result)", Proceedings of Annual Meeting of Architectural Institute of Japan (AIJ), Tokyo, Japan, September, pp. 535-538.
- AIJ 1995d (1995), Performance of Steel Buildings during the 1995 Hyogoken-Nanbu Earthquake, Architectural Institute of Japan (AIJ), Japan, Tokyo.
- AIJ (2010), Design Recommendations for Composite Constructions, Architectural Institute of Japan, Japan, pp. 63-79.