- Volume 21 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
In vitro and In vivo Anti-Helicobacter pylori Activities of Centella asiatica Leaf Extract
- Zheng, Hong-Mei (Department of New Drug Development, College of Medicine, Inha University) ;
- Choi, Myung-Joo (Department of New Drug Development, College of Medicine, Inha University) ;
- Kim, Jae Min (National Center of Efficacy Evaluation for the Development of Health Products Targeting Digestive Disorder, Inha University Hospital) ;
- Lee, Kye Wan (R&D Center, Dong Kook Pharm Co., Ltd.) ;
- Park, Yu Hwa (R&D Center, Dong Kook Pharm Co., Ltd.) ;
- Lee, Don Haeng (Department of New Drug Development, College of Medicine, Inha University)
- Received : 2016.03.15
- Accepted : 2016.06.27
- Published : 2016.09.30
Helicobacter pylori infection is associated with an increased risk of developing upper gastrointestinal tract diseases. However, treatment failure is a major cause of concern mainly due to possible recurrence of infection, the side effects, and resistance to antibiotics. The aim of this study was to investigate the activities of Centella asiatica leaf extract (CAE) against H. pylori both in vitro and in vivo. The minimum inhibitory concentrations (MICs) against 55 clinically isolated strains of H. pylori were tested using an agar dilution method. The MICs of CAE ranged from 0.125 mg/mL to 8 mg/mL, effectiveness in inhibiting H. pylori growth was 2 mg/mL. The anti-H. pylori effects of CAE in vivo were also examined in H. pylori-infected C57BL/6 mice. CAE was orally administrated once daily for 3 weeks at doses of 50 mg/kg and 250 mg/kg. CAE at the 50 mg/kg dose significantly reduced H. pylori colonization in mice gastric mucosa. Our study provides novel insights into the therapeutic effects of CAE against H. pylori infection, and it suggests that CAE may be useful as an alternative therapy.
Grant : 질환유효성평가기반구축
Supported by : 인하대병원
- Parsonnet J, Friedman GD, Vandersteen DP, Chang Y, Vogelman JH, Orentreich N, Sibley RK. 1991. Helicobacter pylori infection and the risk of gastric carcinoma. N Engl J Med 325: 1127-1131. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM199110173251603
- Nomura A, Stemmermann GN, Chyou PH, Kato I, Perez-Perez GI, Blaser MJ. 1991. Helicobacter pylori infection and gastric carcinoma among Japanese Americans in Hawaii. N Engl J Med 325: 1132-1136. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM199110173251604
- Nomura A, Stemmermann GN, Chyou PH, Perez-Perez GI, Blaser MJ. 1994. Helicobacter pylori infection and the risk for duodenal and gastric ulceration. Ann Intern Med 120: 977-981. https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-120-12-199406150-00001
- Schottker B, Adamu MA, Weck MN, Brenner H. 2012. Helicobacter pylori infection is strongly associated with gastric and duodenal ulcers in a large prospective study. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 10: 487-493.e1. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cgh.2011.12.036
- Fuccio L, Zagari RM, Eusebi LH, Laterza L, Cennamo V, Ceroni L, Grilli D, Bazzoli F. 2009. Meta-analysis: can Helicobacter pylori eradication treatment reduce the risk for gastric cancer?. Ann Intern Med 151: 121-128. https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-151-2-200907210-00009
- Owens SR, Smith LB. 2011. Molecular aspects of H. pylori-related MALT lymphoma. Patholog Res Int 2011: 193149.
- Malfertheiner P, Megraud F, O'Morain C, Bazzoli F, El-Omar E, Graham D, Hunt R, Rokkas T, Vakil N, Kuipers EJ. 2007. Current concepts in the management of Helicobacter pylori infection: the Maastricht III Consensus Report. Gut 56: 772-781. https://doi.org/10.1136/gut.2006.101634
- Chey WD, Wong BC. 2007. American College of Gastroenterology guideline on the management of Helicobacter pylori infection. Am J Gastroenterol 102: 1808-1825. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1572-0241.2007.01393.x
- Dammann HG, Folsch UR, Hahn EG, von Kleist DH, Klor HU, Kirchner T, Strobel S, Kist M. 2000. Eradication of H. pylori with pantoprazole, clarithromycin, and metronidazole in duodenal ulcer patients: a head-to-head comparison between two regimens of different duration. Helicobacter 5: 41-51. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1523-5378.2000.00006.x
- Gerhard M, Rad R, Prinz C, Naumann M. 2002. Pathogenesis of Helicobacter pylori infection. Helicobacter 7: 17-23. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1523-5378.7.s1.3.x
- Glupczynski Y, Megraud F, Lopez-Brea M, Andersen LP. 2001. European multicentre survey of in vitro antimicrobial resistance in Helicobacter pylori. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 20: 820-823. https://doi.org/10.1007/s100960100611
- Parsons HK, Carter MJ, Sanders DS, Winstanley T, Lobo AJ. 2001. Helicobacter pylori antimicrobial resistance in the United Kingdom: the effect of age, sex and socio-economic status. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 15: 1473-1478. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2036.2001.01068.x
- Fischbach L, Evans EL. 2007. Meta-analysis: the effect of antibiotic resistance status on the efficacy of triple and quadruple first-line therapies for Helicobacter pylori. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 26: 343-357. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2036.2007.03386.x
- De Francesco V, Giorgio F, Hassan C, Manes G, Vannella L, Panella C, Ierardi E, Zullo A. 2010. Worldwide H. pylori antibiotic resistance: a systematic review. J Gastrointestin Liver Dis 19: 409-414.
- Boiteau P, Ratsimamanga AR. 1956. Asiaticoside extracted from Centella asiatica and its therapeutic uses in cicatrization of experimental and refractory wounds (leprosy, cutaneous tuberculosis and lupus). Therapie 11: 125-149.
- James JT, Dubery IA. 2009. Pentacyclic triterpenoids from the medicinal herb, Centella asiatica (L.) Urban. Molecules 14: 3922-3941. https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules14103922
- Bunpo P, Kataoka K, Arimochi H, Nakayama H, Kuwahara T, Bando Y, Izumi K, Vinitketkumnuen U, Ohnishi Y. 2004. Inhibitory effects of Centella asiatica on azoxymethane-induced aberrant crypt focus formation and carcinogenesis in the intestines of F344 rats. Food Chem Toxicol 42: 1987-1997. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fct.2004.06.022
- Shukla A, Rasik AM, Dhawan BN. 1999. Asiaticoside-induced elevation of antioxidant levels in healing wounds. Phytother Res 13: 50-54. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1099-1573(199902)13:1<50::AID-PTR368>3.0.CO;2-V
- Wang XS, Dong Q, Zuo JP, Fang JN. 2003. Structure and potential immunological activity of a pectin from Centella asiatica (L.) Urban. Carbohydr Res 338: 2393-2402. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0008-6215(03)00380-X
- Cheng CL, Koo MWL. 2000. Effects of Centella asiatica on ethanol induced gastric mucosal lesions in rats. Life Sci 67: 2647-2653. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0024-3205(00)00848-1
- Sairam K, Rao CV, Goel RK. 2001. Effect of Centella asiatica Linn on physical and chemical factors induced gastric ulceration and secretion in rats. Indian J Exp Biol 39: 137-142.
- Guo JS, Cheng CL, Koo MWL. 2004. Inhibitory effects of Centella asiatica water extract and asiaticoside on inducible nitric oxide synthase during gastric ulcer healing in rats. Planta Med 70: 1150-1154. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-2004-835843
- Zheng HM, Choi MJ, Kim JM, Cha KH, Lee KW, Park YH, Hong SS, Lee DH. 2016. Centella asiatica leaf extract protects against indomethacin-induced gastric mucosal injury in rats. J Med Food 19: 38-46. https://doi.org/10.1089/jmf.2015.3464
- Golden SA, Covington HE III, Berton O, Russo SJ. 2011. A standardized protocol for repeated social defeat stress in mice. Nat Protoc 6: 1183-1191. https://doi.org/10.1038/nprot.2011.361
- Hernandez F, Rivera P, Sigaran M, Miranda J. 1991. Diagnosis of Helicobacter pylori: comparison of an urease test, histological visualization of curved bacteria and culture. Rev Inst Med Trop S Paulo 33: 80-82. https://doi.org/10.1590/S0036-46651991000100015
- Li GQ, Xia HHX, Chen MH, Gu Q, Wang JD, Peng JZ, Chan AOO, Cho CH, So HL, Lam SK, Hu PJ, Liang YJ, Lin HL, Berg DE, Feng ZH, Langenbach R, Wong BCY. 2006. Effects of cyclooxygenase-1 and -2 gene disruption on Helicobacter pylori-induced gastric inflammation. J Infect Dis 193: 1037-1046. https://doi.org/10.1086/500984
- Cellini L, Di Campli E, Masulli M, Di Bartolomeo S, Allocati N. 1996. Inhibition of Helicobacter pylori by garlic extract (Allium sativum). FEMS Immunol Med Microbiol 13: 273-277. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1574-695X.1996.tb00251.x
- O'Gara EA, Hill DJ, Maslin DJ. 2000. Activities of garlic oil, garlic powder, and their diallyl constituents against Helicobacter pylori. Appl Environ Microbiol 66: 2269-2273. https://doi.org/10.1128/AEM.66.5.2269-2273.2000
- Tabak M, Armon R, Neeman I. 1999. Cinnamon extracts' inhibitory effect on Helicobacter pylori. J Ethnopharmacol 67: 269-277. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-8741(99)00054-9
- Mabe K, Yamada M, Oguni I, Takahashi T. 1999. In vitro and in vivo activities of tea catechins against Helicobacter pylori. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 43: 1788-1791.
- Bae EA, Han MJ, Kim NJ, Kim DH. 1998. Anti-Helicobacter pylori activity of herbal medicines. Biol Pharm Bull 21: 990-992. https://doi.org/10.1248/bpb.21.990
- Wang YC, Huang TL. 2005. Screening of anti-Helicobacter pylori herbs deriving from Taiwanese folk medicinal plants. FEMS Immunol Med Microbiol 43: 295-300. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.femsim.2004.09.008