- Volume 14 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
The Sociological Antecedents of Brand Attachment: A comparison of Broadcasting and Passive Consumption on Social Networking Sites
상표 애착의 사회적 선행변수에 대한 연구
- Shin, Jong-Kuk (Dept. of Business, Pusan National University) ;
- Park, Min-Sook (Dept. of Distribution Management, Catholic University of Pusan) ;
- Ross, Corey Allen (Dept. of Business Administration, Catholic University of Pusan)
- Received : 2016.07.12
- Accepted : 2016.09.20
- Published : 2016.09.28
In this study, the authors examine the ways in which social media ultimately affects the attachment of individuals to their favorite brands. Through an analysis of data using multiple linear regression, this study finds that SNS (social networking site) users that post status updates for a wide audience have no bearing on the individual's use of socialization agents. Those who consume social news passively are, however, likely to depend on socialization agents for determining their final purchase decisions. Socialization agents, both personal and non-personal, also play a role in the formation of brand attachment among individuals who depend on these social sources. Based on these results, marketers are encouraged to establish an online footprint of a social nature to formulate brand awareness and to provide a means for users of social media to improve their brand attachments to their favored brands. As this research was conducted exclusively in the predominantly collective culture of South Korea, further studies could attempt to analyze social networking use and socialization agent use via a cross-culture study, particularly one including an individualistic culture.
Grant : BK21플러스
Supported by : 부산대학교
- Mangold, W. G. & D. J. Faulds, "Social media: the new hybrid element of the promotion mix," Business Horizons, Vol. 52, No. 4, pp. 357-65, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bushor.2009.03.002
- Kaplan, A. & M. Haenlein, "Users of the world, unite! The challenges and opportunities of social media," Business Horizons, Vol. 53, No. 1, pp. 59-68, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bushor.2009.09.003
- Choi, Y., R. Kale, & J.K. Shin, "Religiosity and consumers' use of product information source among Korean consumers: an exploratory research," International Journal of Consumer Studies, Vol. 34, pp. 61-68, 2009.
- Esch, F.R., Langner, T., Schmitt, B.H., & Geus, P. (2006), "Are brands forever?" Journal of Product & Brand Management, Vol. 15, No. 2, pp. 98-105. https://doi.org/10.1108/10610420610658938
- Park, C. W., D. J. MacInnis, & J. Priester, "Beyond attitudes: attachment and consumer behavior," Seoul Journal of Business, Vol. 12, No. 2, pp. 3-35, 2006.
- Malar, L., H. Krohmer, W. D. Hoyer, & B. Nyffenegger, "Emotional brand attachment and brand personality: The relative importance of the actual and the ideal self," Journal of Marketing, Vol. 75, No. 4, pp. 35-52, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1509/jmkg.75.4.35
- Dunay, P. & R. Krueger, Facebook marketing for dummies, John Wiley & Sons, Inc. : New Jersey, 2011.
- Hansen, D.L., D. Rotman, E. Bonsignore, N. Milic-Frayling, R.M. Rodrigues, M. Smith, B. Shneiderman, & T. Capone, "Do you know the way to SNA: a process model for analyzing and visualizing social media data," U. of Maryland Tech Report: HCIL-2009-17, 2009.
- Park, N., K. F. Kee, & S. Valenzuela, "Being immersed in social networking environment: Facebook groups, uses and gratifications, and social outcomes," Cyber Psychology & Behavior, Vol. 12, No. 6, pp. 729-733, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1089/cpb.2009.0003
- Pagani, M., C. F. Hofacker, & R. E. Goldsmith, "The influence of personality on active and passive use of social networking sites," Psychology & Marketing, Vol. 28, No. 5, pp. 441-456, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1002/mar.20395
- Lampe, C., D. Y. Wohn, J. Vitak, N. B. Ellison, & R. Wash, "Student use of Facebook for organizing collaborative classroom activities," International Journal of Computer-Supported Collaborative Learning, Vol. 6, No. 3, pp. 329-347, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11412-011-9115-y
- Burke, M., R. Kraut , & C. Marlow, "Social capital on Facebook: Differentiating uses and users," In Proceedings of the SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, ACM, pp. 571-580, 2011.
- Sicilia, M. & M. Palazon, "Brand communities on the Internet: a case study of Coca-Cola's Spanish virtual community," Corporate Communications: An International Journal, Vol. 13, No. 3, pp. 255-270, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1108/13563280810893643
- Muniz, A. M. & H. Schau, "Religiosity in the abandoned Apple Newton brand community," Journal of Consumer Research, Vol. 31, No. 4, pp. 737-747, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1086/426607
- Franke N. & S. Shah, "How communities support innovative activities: an exploration of assistance and sharing among end-users," Research Policy, Vol. 32, No. 1, pp. 157-78, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0048-7333(02)00006-9
- Muniz A. & T. C. O'Guinn, "Brand community," Journal of Consumer Research, Vol. 27, No. 4, pp. 412-32, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1086/319618
- Choi, Y., "Religion, religiosity, and South Korean consumer switching behaviors," Journal of Consumer Behaviour, Vol. 9, pp. 157-171, 2010.
- 1. Bush, A. J., R. Smith, & C. Martin, "The influence of consumer socialization variables on attitude toward advertising: a comparison of African-Americans and Caucasians," Journal of Advertising, Vol. 28, No. 3, pp. 13-24, 1999.
- John, D. R., "Consumer socialization of children: a retrospective look at twenty-five years of research," Journal of Consumer Research, Vol. 26, No. 3, pp. 183-213, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1086/209559
- Elkin, F. & G. Handel, The child and society: The process of socialization, Fifth ed., McGraw Hill : New York, 1989.
- Bandura, A., Social Learning Theory, General Learning Corporation : New York, 1971.
- Fournier, S. & C. Alvarez, "Brands as relationship partners: warmth, competence, and in-between," Journal of Consumer Psychology, Vol. 22, No. 2, pp. 177-185, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcps.2011.10.003
- Park, C. W., D. J. MacInnis, J. Priester, A. B. Eisingerich, & D. Iacobucci, "Brand attachment and brand attitude strength: conceptual and empirical differentiation of two critical brand equity drivers," Journal of Marketing, Vol. 74, No. 6, pp. 1-17, 2010.
- Butt, S. & J. G. Phillips, "Personality and self reported mobile phone use," Computers in Human Behavior, Vol. 24, No. 2, pp. 346-360, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2007.01.019
- Ross, C., E. S. Orr, M. Sisic, J. M. Arseneault, M. G. Simmering, & R. R. Orr, "Personality and motivations associated with Facebook use," Computers in Human Behavior, Vol. 25, pp. 578-586, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2008.12.024
- Ledbetter, A. M., J. P. Mazer, J. M. DeGroot, K. R. Meyer, Y. Mao, & B. Swafford, "Attitudes toward online social connection and self-disclosure as predictors of Facebook communication and relational closeness," Communication Research, Vol. 38, No. 1, pp. 27-53, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1177/0093650210365537
- Baym, N. K. & A. M. Ledbetter, "Tunes that bind? Predicting friendship strength in a music-based social network," Information, Communication & Society, Vol. 12, pp. 408-427, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1080/13691180802635430
- Hancock, J. T., C. L. Toma, & K. Fenner, "I know something you don't: the use of asymmetric personal information for interpersonal advantage," In Proceedings of the 2008 ACM conference on computer supported cooperative work, ACM, pp. 413-416, 2008.
- Haythornthwaite, C., "Social networks and Internet connectivity effects," Information, Communication & Society, Vol. 8, pp. 125-147, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1080/13691180500146185
- Hennig-Thurau, T., E. C. Malthouse, C. Friege, S. Gensler, L. Lobschat, A. Rangaswamy, & B. Skiera, "The impact of new media on customer relationships," Journal of Service Research, Vol. 13, No. 3, pp. 311-330, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1177/1094670510375460
- Schultz, D., M. Block, & L. Labrecque, "Consumer retailer preference and Facebook: friends or foes?" International Journal of Integrated Marketing Communications, Spring, pp. 7-18, 2012.
- Fournier, S. M., "Consumers and their brands: developing relationship theory." Journal of Consumer Research, Vol. 24, pp. 343-73, 1999.
- Mikulincer, M. & P. R. Shaver, "Mental representations of attachment security: theoretical foundation for a positive social psychology," In Mark W. Baldwin, ed., Interpersonal Cognition, pp. 233-266, Guilford Press : New York, 2005.
- Morgan, R. M. & S. D. Hunt, "The commitment trust theory of relationship marketing." Journal of Marketing, Vol. 58, No. 3, pp. 20-38, 1994. https://doi.org/10.2307/1252308
- Olsen, B., "Brand loyalty and lineage: Exploring new dimensions for research," Advances in Consumer Research, Vol. 20 (1), pp. 575-579, 1993.
- Shin, J. K., M. S. Park, & C. A. Ross, "Religious doctrinal commitment: the search for influences on brand and store switching behaviors in South Korea," Journal of Global Scholars of Marketing Science, Vol. 22, No. 3, pp. 235-248, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1080/21639159.2012.696335
- Ellison, N. B., C. Steinfield, & C. Lampe. "Connection strategies: social capital implications of Facebook-enabled communication practices," New Media & Society, Vol. 13, pp. 873-892, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1177/1461444810385389
- Hofstede, G., Culture's Consequences: Comparing Values, Behaviors, Institutions, and Organizations Across Nations, Second ed., Sage : Thousand Oaks, CA, 2001.
- Roblyer, M. D., M. McDaniel, M. Webb., J. Herman, & J. V. Witty, "Findings on Facebook in higher education: a comparison of college student uses and perceptions of social networking sites," Internet and Higher Education, Vol. 13, pp. 134-140, 2010 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.iheduc.2010.03.002
- Park, S. Y. & S. H. Cho, "Formation of social relationship through SNS and adolescents' life satisfaction," Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 2, pp. 371-379, 2015. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.2.371
- Kim, H. H., & P. S. Jang, "Differences in sentiment on SNS: Comparison among six languages," Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 3, pp. 165-170, 2016.
- Yim, K. H., "A study on the influence of relation commitment of SNS marketing features in domestic enterprise," Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 11, No. 10, pp. 341-350, 2015.
- Lee, J. Y., & P. S. Jang, "Effects of message polarity and type on word of mouth through SNS (social network service)," Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 11, No. 6, pp. 129-135, 2013.
- Kim, D. H., "A study on factors affecting social network service e-service quality," Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 9, No. 3, pp. 225-233, 2011.
- Jiyeun Chang, "Convergence of Education and Information & Communication Technology : A Study on the Communication Characteristics of SNS Affecting Relationship Development between Professor and Student", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 6, pp. 213-219, 2015. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.6.213
- Hota, M. & R. McGuiggan, "The relative influence of consumer socialization agents on children and adolescents: Examining the past and modeling the future," European Advances in Consumer Research, Vol. 7, pp. 119-124, 2006.
- Seo, K. D., & J. E. Lee, "The relationship among brand equity, corporate personality, attachment and consumer behavior," Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 11, No. 10, pp. 313-320, 2013. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDPM.2013.11.11.313
- Seo, K. D., & J. E. Lee, "A study on the effect of consumer lifestyle on brand attitude, brand attachment influence upon brand loyalty," Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 4, pp. 185-192, 2016.
- Dong-Il Tag, "A Study on The Influence of Convergence Benefit of Facebook Fan Page in Brand Attachment and Brand Commitment", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 5, pp. 199-206, 2015. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.5.199