- Volume 5 Issue 3
Router main task is to provide routing of Internet Protocol (IP) packets. Routing is achieved with help of the IP lookup. Router stores information about the networks and interfaces in data structures commonly called as routing tables. Comparison of IP from incoming packet with the IPs stored in routing table for the information about route is IP Lookup. IP lookup performs by longest IP prefix matching. The performance of the IP router is based on the speed of prefix matching. IP lookup is a major bottle neck in the performance of Router. Various algorithms and data structures are available for IP lookup. This paper is about reviewing various tree based structure and its performance evaluation.
- Postal J. Internet Protocol Darpa Internet Program Protocol Specification (IPv4), Sep 1981 [Online].Available: https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc791
- Sklower K. A tree-based packet routing table for Berkeley unix. In USENIX Winter 1991 Jan 21 (Vol. 1991, pp. 93-99)
- Gray M, Internet Groth Summary.[Online].Available:http://www.mit.edu/people/mkgray/net/internet-growth-summary.html
- Deering. S, Hinden. R. Internet Protocol, Version 6 (IPv6) Specification, Dec 1998 [Online]. Available: https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2460
- Kijkanjanarat T, Chao HJ. Fast IP lookups using a two-trie data structure. InGlobal Telecommunications Conference, 1999. GLOBECOM'99 1999 (Vol. 2, pp. 1570-1575). IEEE.
- Ruiz-Sanchez MA, Biersack EW, Dabbous W. Survey and taxonomy of IP address lookup algorithms. Network, IEEE. 2001 Mar;15(2):8-23.
- Gupta P, McKeown N. Algorithms for packet classification. Network, iEEE. 2001 Mar;15(2):24-32.
- Coffman KG, Odlyzko AM. Internet growth: Is there a "Moore's Law" for data traffic?. InHandbook of massive data sets 2002 (pp. 47-93). Springer US.
- Sahni S, Kim KS. Efficient construction of variable-stride multibit tries for IP lookup. InApplications and the Internet, 2002.(SAINT 2002). Proceedings. 2002 Symposium on 2002 (pp. 220-227). IEEE.
- Baker F, Savola P. Ingress filtering for multihomed networks. BCP 84, RFC 3704, March; 2004 Mar 1
- Hagen S. IPv6 essentials. " O'Reilly Media, Inc."; 2006 May 17.
- Fu J, Hagsand O, Karlsson G. Improving and analyzing LC-Trie performance for IP-address lookup. Journal of Networks. 2007 Jan 6;2(3):18-27.
- Rojas-Cessa R, Kijkanjanarat T, Wangchai W, Patil K, Thirapittayatakul N. Helix: IP lookup scheme based on helicoidal properties of binary trees. Computer Networks. 2015 Oct 4;89:78-89. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.comnet.2015.07.012