- Volume 5 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Content-Aware Convolutional Neural Network for Object Recognition Task
- Poernomo, Alvin (Department of Ubiquitous IT, Dongseo University) ;
- Kang, Dae-Ki (Department of Computer & Information Engineering, Dongseo University)
- Received : 2016.07.04
- Accepted : 2016.07.30
- Published : 2016.09.30
In existing Convolutional Neural Network (CNNs) for object recognition task, there are only few efforts known to reduce the noises from the images. Both convolution and pooling layers perform the features extraction without considering the noises of the input image, treating all pixels equally important. In computer vision field, there has been a study to weight a pixel importance. Seam carving resizes an image by sacrificing the least important pixels, leaving only the most important ones. We propose a new way to combine seam carving approach with current existing CNN model for object recognition task. We attempt to remove the noises or the "unimportant" pixels in the image before doing convolution and pooling, in order to get better feature representatives. Our model shows promising result with CIFAR-10 dataset.
deep learning;convolutional neural network;seam carving;image resizing
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF)
- Krizhevsky, Alex, Ilya Sutskever, and Geoffrey E. Hinton, "Imagenet classification with deep convolutional neural networks," Advances in neural information processing systems, 2012.
- Deng, Jia, et al, "Imagenet: A large-scale hierarchical image database," Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, 2009. CVPR 2009. IEEE Conference on. IEEE, 2009.
- Hubel, David H., and Torsten N. Wiesel, "Receptive fields and functional architecture of monkey striate cortex," The Journal of physiology 195.1 (1968): 215-243. https://doi.org/10.1113/jphysiol.1968.sp008455
- Fukushima, Kunihiko, "Neocognitron: A self-organizing neural network model for a mechanism of pattern recognition unaffected by shift in position," Biological cybernetics 36.4 (1980): 193-202. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00344251
- Avidan, Shai, and Ariel Shamir, "Seam carving for content-aware image resizing," ACM Transactions on graphics (TOG). Vol. 26. No. 3. ACM, 2007.
- LeCun, Yann, et al. "Gradient-based learning applied to document recognition," Proceedings of the IEEE 86.11 (1998): 2278-2324. https://doi.org/10.1109/5.726791
- Coates, Adam, Honglak Lee, and Andrew Y. Ng, "An analysis of single-layer networks in unsupervised feature learning," Ann Arbor 1001.48109 (2010): 2.
- Vedaldi, Andrea, and Karel Lenc, "Matconvnet: Convolutional neural networks for matlab," Proceedings of the 23rd ACM international conference on Multimedia. ACM, 2015.