- Volume 21 Issue 3
The Influence of Competitive Advantage on Hospital Performance: Focused on Resource-based View(RBV)
경쟁우위와 의료기관 경영성과 -자원기반관점을 중심으로-
- Lee, Ye Jin (Korea Health Industry Development Institute) ;
- Suh, Won Sik (Dep. of Healthcare Management, Gachon University)
- Received : 2016.08.24
- Accepted : 2016.09.20
- Published : 2016.09.30
The study empirically examines the classic hypothesis on resource-based view(RBV) theory, which is the possible relationship between competitive advantage and performance. For the study, we have surveyed 198 hospital administrators in Korea. By testing the hypotheses at conceptual level, a more robust approach, we found that (1) if a hospital possesses and exploits resources and capabilities that are both valuable and rare, it will attain a competitive advantage, and (2) the attaintment of such advantage will enable the hospital to improve its performance. The results may be interest to both academics and practitioners. From an academic standpoint, the study more accurately captures the dynamics of the theory by pairing resources-capabilities as opposed to individual resources or capabilities. From a practitioner perspective, it is suggested that hospital managers need no necessarily seek out novel resources and capabilities, but rather develop novel ways in which to combine those resources and capabilities to which they do have access.
- Barney JB. Firm resources and sustained competitive advantage. Journal of Management 1991;17(1): 99-120. https://doi.org/10.1177/014920639101700108
- Newbert SL. Value, Rareness, competitive advantage, and performance: a conceptual-level empirical investigation of the resource-based view of the firm. Strategic Management Journal 2008;29: 745-768. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.686
- Barney JB, Hesterly WS. Strategic management and competitive advantage: Concepts and cased, 3rd Edition;Pearson Education, Inc. 2009.
- Kim Y, Suh W. Understanding Healthcare Strategy and its Practical Implications. Korean Journal of Hospital Management 2015;Special Issue 20:71-88.
- Lee Y, Seo M, Park B. Six Sigma Application as a Competitive Strategy in Health Care. Quality Improvement in Health Care 2008;14(2):23-31.
- Yoon J, Jang J. An Empirical Study on the Effects of Competencies on the Performance of Hospitals : Focusing on the Mediator Effect of Service Orientation and Customer Orientation. Korean Review of Management Consulting 2010;1(2): 1-28.
- Douglas TJ, Ryman JA. Understanding competitive advantage in the general hospital industry: Evaluating strategic competencies. Strategic Management Journal 2003;24:333-347. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.301
- Huang KC, Lu N, Chang WJ, Chang HC, Chen JS. Correlates of Perceived Competitive Advantage among Hospital Management: A multilevel Analysis. Journal of Experimental and Clinical Medicine 2012;4(3):170-174. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jecm.2012.04.008
- Sadia M. The Impact of Competitive Advantage on Organizational Performance. European Journal of Business and Management 2011;3(4):191-196.
- Choi K, Lee K. The influence of intangible resources on the subsidiary performance of MNCs in Korea. International business review 2012; 16(4):37-62. https://doi.org/10.21739/IBR.2012.12.16.4.37
- Penrose ET. The Theory of the Growth of the Firm. John Wiley & Sons: New York 1959.
- Delaney JT, Huselid MA. The impact of human resource management practices on perceptions of organizational performance. Academy of Management Journal 1996;39(4):949-969. https://doi.org/10.2307/256718
- Khandwalla PN. Some top management styles, their context, and performance. Organization and Administrative Sciences 1976;7(4):21-51.
- Korea Health Industry Development Institute, Statistics for Hospital Management 2010. 2011.
- Baron RM, Kenny DA. The moderator-mediator variable distinction in social psychological research: Conceptual, strategic, and statistical considerations. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 1986;51(6):1173-1182. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3522.214.171.1243
- Miller D. An asymmetry-based view of advantage: towards an attainable sustainability. Strategic Management Journal 2003;24(10):961-976 https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.316
- Combs JG, Ketchen DJ. Explaining interfirm cooperation and performance: toward a reconciliation of predictions from the resourcebased view and organizational economics. Strategic Management Journal 1999;20(9):867-888. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0266(199909)20:9<867::AID-SMJ55>3.0.CO;2-6
- Knott AM. The organizational routines factor market paradox. Strategic Management Journal 2003;October Special Issue 24:929-943. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.315
- Powell TC. Organizational alignment as competitive advantage. Strategic Management Journal 1992a;13(2):113-134.
- Powell TC. Strategic planning as competitive advantage. Strategic Management Journal 1992b; 13(7):551-558. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.4250130707
- Powell TC, Dent-Micallef A. Information technology as competitive advantage: the role of human, business, and technology resources, Strategic Management Journal 1997;18(5):375-405. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0266(199705)18:5<375::AID-SMJ876>3.0.CO;2-7
- Henderson R, Cockburn I. Measuring competence? Exploring firm effect in pharmaceutical research. Strategic Management Journal 1994;Winter Special Issue 15:63-84.
- Markman GD, Espina MI, Phan PH. Patents as surrogates for inimitable and non-substitutable resources. Journal of Management 2004;30(4): 529-544. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jm.2003.09.005
- Barney JB, Mackey TB. Testing Resource-Based Theory, in Ketchen, David J. and Bergh, Donald D.. Research Methodology in Strategy and Management 2005;2:1-13.