- Volume 21 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
CFD PREDICTION OF AERODYNAMIC DRAG ACTING ON ALPINE DOWNHILL SKIER
알파인 스키 활강 선수에 작용하는 공기 저항 예측
- Kim, J.S. (School of Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering, Univ. of Ulsan) ;
- Cho, T.S. (School of Exercise and Sports Science, Univ. of Ulsan) ;
- Ahn, H.T. (School of Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering, Univ. of Ulsan)
- Received : 2016.07.05
- Accepted : 2016.09.27
- Published : 2016.09.30
In speed skiing, aerodynamic forces play an important role in determining performance of the skier. To predict aerodynamic effects of the posture of the skier on alpine downhill skiing, we constructed equation of motion of the skier and performed the corresponding CFD simulations. Comparing drag and lift of three different skier postures, it has been shown that drag decreases significantly by tucking upper body to lower body and stretching arms forward. Also, aerodynamic lift which worked as downforce in standing posture worked upward in tuck posture, reducing friction force between snow and ski. This indicates that tuck posture have advantages over standing posture in dual mechanism, namely by reducing drag and also increasing lift. By this two-dimensional initial study we could reveal the general tendency of the aerodynamic force over the skier's body. This study not only provides a theoretical foundation for the athletes to understand the aerodynamic effects of skier postures but also shed a light on towards more accurate and rational three-dimensional CFD simulation of skiers in the near future study.
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- 1987, Simon, M. and Jachen, D., "The Influence of Aerodynamic and Anthropometric Factors on Speed in Skiing," Jounal of biomechanical engineering, Vol.3-4, pp.345-352.
- 2010, Len, B., Guy, L., Annick, D., Todd, A., Frank, M., Paul, K., Serge, D., Robert, B. and Dale, S., "Factors affecting the aerodynamic drag of alpine skiers," Procedia engineering, Vol.2, pp.2375-2380. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2010.04.002
- 2001, Thompson, B.E., Friess, W.A. and Knapp, K.N., "Aerodynamics of speed skiers," Sports Engineering, Vol.4-2, pp.103-112. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1460-2687.2001.00072.x
- 2011, Chen, Z. and Fang, H., "The Effects of Wind and Posture on the Aerodynamic Performance During the Flight Stage of Skiing," Journal of biomechanical engineering, Vol.133, pp.1-5.
- 2015, Lee, Y.N. and Kim, K.Y., "Aerodynamic Study on Bobsleigh Bumper Shape," Journal of computational fluids engineering, Vol.20, No.2, pp.37-45. https://doi.org/10.6112/kscfe.2015.20.2.037
- 2012, Son, K., Ryu, M. and Cho, J., "Aerodynamic Analysis on Ski Jump Flying Postures," Journal of the Korean society for aeronautical and space sciences, Vol.40, No.3, pp.193-200. https://doi.org/10.5139/JKSAS.2012.40.3.193
- 1992, Woods, C., "Digital image processing," Addison-Wesley, Reading, ss.