- Volume 53 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
6DOF Simulation and Determination of Hydrodynamic Derivatives of Underwater Tow-Fish Using CFD
CFD를 이용한 수중 예인체의 유체력 미계수 결정과 6자유도 운동해석
- Go, Gwangsoo ;
- Lee, Euntaek ;
- Ahn, Hyung Taek ;
- Kim, Seongil ;
- Chun, Seung Yong ;
- Kim, Jung Suk ;
- Lee, Byeong Hee
- Received : 2016.04.24
- Accepted : 2016.08.10
- Published : 2016.08.20
Techniques for determinating hydrodynamic derivatives of underwater tow-fish using CFD(Computational Fluid Dynamics) are described in this paper. Main components of hydrodynamic derivatives are added mass, linear damping and non-linear damping coefficients. In this study, linear and non-linear damping coefficients for translational velocities are settled by CFD analysis. In order to analyze the underwater tow-fish, UlsanFOAM based on open-source CFD code, namely OpenFOAM, is employed. By simulating pitch and yaw angle variation of underwater tow-fish, 6DOF(Degree-of-Freedom) forces and moments are estimated at each attitudes. In order to determinate the hydrodynamic derivatives, curves(forces and moments vs attitude) for CFD results are fitted by least square methods. To demonstrate the applicability of the current approach, two different problems(impulsive side towing and straight towing) are simulated and all results are validated.
Underwater tow-fish;Hydrodynamic derivatives;Computational Fluid Dynamics(CFD)
- Abkowitz, M.A., 1964. Lectures on Ship Hydrodynamics - Steering and Maneuverability. Technical Report No. Hy-5. Lyngby: Hydro- and Aerodynamic's Laboratory, Denmark.
- Ahn, J.H. & Jung, C.H., 2012. A Study on the Analysis of Underwater Behaviors of Two Bodies Having Different Weight Characteristics. Journal of the Korea Society for Simulation, 21(1), pp.35-43.
- Fedyaevsky, K.K. & Sobolev, G.V., 1963. Control and Stability in Ship Design. Leningrad: State Union Shipbuilding Industry Publishing House.
- Fossen, T.I., 1994. Guidance and Control of Ocean Vehicles. New York: John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
- Imlay, F.H., 1961. The Complete Expressions for "Added Mass" of a Rigid Body Moving in an Ideal Fluid. Hydromechanics Laboratory, Research and Development Report No. 1528. Washington, D.C.: Department of the NAVY, David Taylor Model Basin.
- Jeong, J.H., 2015. Research on the captive model tests and prediction of hydrodynamic forces for the underwater vehicle. Ph.D. Thesis. Pusan National University.
- Jeong, J.H. Han, J.H. Ok, J. Kim, H.D. Kim, D.H. Shin, Y.K. & Lee, S.K., 2016. Prediction of Hydrodynamic Coefficients for Underwater Vehicle Using Rotating Arm Test. Journal of Ocean Engineering and Technology, 30(1), pp.25-31. https://doi.org/10.5574/KSOE.2016.30.1.025
- Kwon, S.E. & Ahn, H.T., 2015. Analysis of Self-propulsion performance for KCS using UlsanFOAM. The General Meeting & Annual Autumn Conference, The Society of Naval Architects of Korea, Geoje, Republic of Korea, 24-27 November 2015.
- Kwon, S.E., 2016. Analysis of self-propulsion performance for KCS using UlsanFOAM. Master Thesis. University of Ulsan.
- Lewis, E.V., 1989. Principles of Naval Architecture, Vol. 3, 2nd Revision. Jersey City: The Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers.
- OpenCFD Ltd, 2004. OpenFOAM - The open source CFD toolbox. [Online] Available at: http://www.openfoam.com[Accessed 15 May 2015].
- Oh, G.H. & Kim, B.Y., 2015. Development GUI for using OpenFOAM. Korean Society for Computational Fluids Engineering, Jeju, Republic of Korea, 14-15 May 2015.
- Park, J.K. & Kang, K.H., 2010. Review on OpenFOAM – An Open Source Software. Journal of Computational Fluids Engineering, 15(3), pp.46-53.
- Park, S. & Rhee, S.H., 2012. CFD Code Development Using Open Source Libraries for Shipbuilding and Marine Engineering Industries. Journal of the Society of Naval Architects of Korea, 49(2), pp.151-157. https://doi.org/10.3744/SNAK.2012.49.2.151
- Park, J.M. & Kim, N.W., 2015. Dynamic Modeling of a Semi-Submersible Autonomous Underwater Vehicle with a Towfish Towed by Cable. International Journal of Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering, 7(2), pp.409-425. https://doi.org/10.1515/ijnaoe-2015-0029
- Son, K.H. Lee, S.K. & Ha, S.P., 2006. Mathematical Model for Dynamics of Manta-type Unmanned Undersea Vehicle with Six Degrees of Freedom and Characteristics of Maneuverability Response. Journal of the Society of Naval Architects of Korea, 43(4), pp.399-413. https://doi.org/10.3744/SNAK.2006.43.4.399
- Santhankumar, M. Asokan, T. & Sreeram, T.R., 2009. Analysis of Parameter Sensitivity Using Robust Design Techniques for a Flapfish Type Autonomous Underwater Vehicle. International Journal of Quality, Statistics, and Reliability, 2009, pp.1-10.
- Sun, F.J., 2009. Elastodynamic Analysis of Towed Cable Systems by a Novel Nodal Position Finite Element Method. Master Thesis. Toronto: York University.
- Sun, F.J. Zhu, Z.H. & LaRosa, M., 2011. Dynamic Modeling of Cable Towed Body Using Nodal Position Finite Element Method. Ocean Engineering, 38, pp.529-540. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oceaneng.2010.11.016
- The Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers (SNAME), 1950. Nomenclature for Treating the Motion of a Submerged Body Through a Fluid. Technical and Research Bulletin No. 1-5. New York: SNAME.
- Wikipedia, 2007. OpenFOAM - Wikipedia. [Online] (Updated 22 July 2016) Available at:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenFOAM[Accessed 25 July 2016].
- Won, J.Y. & Ahn, H.T., 2015. ESD performance evaluation using open source CFD program. The General Meeting & Annual Autumn Conference, The Society of Naval Architects of Korea, Geoje, Republic of Korea, 24-27 November 2015.
- Won, J.Y., 2016. Performance evaluation of duct for a JBC hull using UlsanFOAM. Master Thesis. University of Ulsan.
- 3D Nonlinear Fully Coupled Simulation of Cable and Tow-fish System vol.30, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5574/KSOE.2016.30.6.458
- Simulation-Based Determination of Hydrodynamic Derivatives and 6DOF Motion Analysis for Underwater Vehicle vol.31, pp.5, 2017, https://doi.org/10.26748/KSOE.2017.10.31.5.371