- Volume 17 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Working Mechanisms of Organizational Ambidexterity for Creative Performance
창의적 성과를 제고하는 조직 양면성 구현양식에 대한 연구
- Received : 2016.02.15
- Accepted : 2016.04.09
- Published : 2016.06.30
The organizational ambidexterity has been emerging as the way to gain competitive advantage in turbulent environment. The concept of ambidexterity is simultaneously accomplishing the balance between the activities of exploration and exploitation, and overcoming their conflicting tension. The beneficial merits of ambidexterity has been investigated in innovation, financial performance, strategic management, and etc. Our study focused on the impact of ambidextrous activities on creative performance. Although three ambidextrous modes-structural ambidexterity, contextual ambidexterity, and sequential ambidexterity-have been already acknowledged, scant studies suggested the specific mechanisms to achieve ambidexterity in practice at the operating level. To address the issue we performed the semantic network analysis on the basis of the previous literatures prescribing ambidexterity theory. We took interview with 21 teams to explore behaviors of teams from the ambidextrous perspective, and then interpreted the relationship among words which appeared in the interview. This study found the appropriate mechanism which alleviate tension revealed by exploitation and exploration exist as practical reality. We demonstrated how these ambidextrous mechanisms can be used to generate the creative performance as well as examined various antecedents. These findings would contribute to the more fine-grained understanding of organizational ambidexterity, especially in conjunction with organizational creativity.
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- 권정언, 우형록. (2015). 팀의 양면적 활동이 창의적 성과에 미치는 영향. 경영학연구, 44(2), 515-542.
- 김응조, 홍아정. (2015). 공공조직의 진성리더십이 집단창의성에 미치는 영향과 개인-환경적합성의 매개효과. HRD 연구, 17(2), 1-27.
- 김현진, 설현도. (2014). 개인창의성과 집단창의성의 관계에서 통합능력과 지식공유의 매개효과. 지식경영연구, 15(4), 223-247. https://doi.org/10.15813/kmr.2014.15.4.012
- 박대식, 조근태. (2015). 공공연구조직의 창의성 수준과 연구성과 간 관계. 경영과학, 32(2), 51-68. https://doi.org/10.7737/KMSR.2015.32.2.051
- 박병진, 배순한, 백승익. (2013). 제휴 네트워크에서 기업의 중심성이 혁신 성과에 미치는 영향에 대한 연구. Entrue Journal of Information Technology, 12(1), 117-131.
- 배종석, 박오원. (2010). 양면성 인적자원관리 시스템의 조직화 양식. 조직과 인사관리연구, 34(2), 31-68.
- 신재현, 이홍. (2014). 창의성 발현을 위한 구조화된 문제해결 절차, 약인가, 독인가?: 사례를 통한 탐험적 연구. 인사조직연구, 22(4), 103-139.
- 이재은, 송윤아, 양영수. (2012). 한국 자동차 부품 기업의 특성과 경영성과. 대한경영학회지, 25(3), 1485-1504.
- 이청아, 홍아정. (2014). 긍정심리자본이 조직창의성에 미치는 영향과 팀워크역량의 매개효과. 기업교육연구, 16(2), 119-144.
- 하미승, 이진만, 공주, 이병진. (2015). 텍스트 네트워크 분석(TNA)을 활용한 한국인사행정학의 연구경향 분석. 한국인사행정학회보, 14(1), 185-215.
- 하성욱. (2009). 불확실한 탐험을 촉진하는 방법: 사례연구. 지식경영연구, 10(1), 53-70.
- 허문구. (2015). 지식탐색과 조직 양면성. 지식경영연구, 16(1), 95-115. https://doi.org/10.15813/kmr.2015.16.1.005
- Adler, P. S., Benner, M., Brunner, D. J., MacDuffie, J. P., Osono, E., Staats, B. R., et al. (2009). Perspectives on the productivity dilemma. Journal of Operations Management, 27(2), 99-113. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jom.2009.01.004
- Adler, P. S., Goldoftas, B., & Levine, D. I. (1999). Flexibility versus efficiency? A case study of model changeovers in the toyota production system. Organization science, 10(1), 43-68. https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.10.1.43
- Andriopoulos, C., & Lewis, M. W. (2009). Exploitat ion-explorat ion tensions a nd organizational ambidexterity: Managing paradoxes of innovation. Organization Science, 20(4), 696-717. https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.1080.0406
- Barratt, M., Choi, T. Y., & Li, M. (2011). Qualitative case studies in operations management: Trends, research outcomes, and future research implications. Journal of Operations Management, 29(4), 329-342. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jom.2010.06.002
- Benner, M. J., & Tushman, M. L. (2003). Exploitation, exploration, and process management: The productivity dilemma revisited. Academy of Management Review, 28(2), 238-256. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.2003.9416096
- Bernard, H. R., & Ryan, G. W. (2009). Analyzing qualitative data: Systematic approaches. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE Publications.
- Birkinshaw, J., Brannen, M. Y., & Tung, R. L. (2011). From a distance and generalizable to up close and grounded: Reclaiming a place for qualitative methods in international business research. Journal of International Business Studies, 42(5), 573-581. https://doi.org/10.1057/jibs.2011.19
- Birkinshaw, J., & Gupta, K. (2013). Clarifying the distinctive contribution of ambidexterity to the field of organization studies. Academy of Management Perspectives, 27(4), 287-298. https://doi.org/10.5465/amp.2012.0167
- Blarr, W. H. (2012). Organizational ambidexterity: Implications for the strategy-performance linkage. Wiesbaden, Germany: Gabler Verlag.
- Bonesso, S., Gerli, F., & Scapolan, A. (2014). The individual side of ambidexterity: Do individuals' perceptions match actual behaviors in reconciling the exploration and exploitation trade-off? European Management Journal, 32(3), 392-405. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.emj.2013.07.003
- Boumgarden, P., Nickerson, J., & Zenger, T. R. (2012). Sailing into the wind: Exploring the relationships among ambidexterity, vacillation, and organizational performance. Strategic Management Journal, 33(6), 587-610. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.1972
- Cantarello, S., Martini, A., & Nosella, A. (2012). A multi-level model for organizational ambidexterity in the search phase of the innovation process. Creativity and Innovation Management, 21(1), 28-48. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-8691.2012.00624.x
- Cao, Q., Gedajlovic, E., & Zhang, H. (2009). Unpacking organizational ambidexterity: Dimensions, contingencies, and synergistic effects. Organization Science, 20(4), 781-796. https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.1090.0426
- Coad, A., Segarra, A., & Teruel, M. (2016). Innovation and firm growth: Does firm age play a role? Research Policy, 45(2), 387-400. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.respol.2015.10.015
- Derbyshire, J. (2014). The impact of ambidexterity on enterprise performance: Evidence from 15 countries and 14 sectors. Technovation, 34(10), 574-581. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.technovation.2014.05.010
- Duncan, R. B. (1976). The ambidextrous organization: Designing dual structures for innovation. The Management of Organization Design, 1, 167-188.
- Eisenhardt, K. M., & Graebner, M. E. (2007). Theory building from cases: Opportunities and challenges. Academy of Management Journal, 50(1), 25-32. https://doi.org/10.5465/amj.2007.24160888
- Gersick, C. J. G. (1991). Revolutionary change theories: A multilevel exploration of the punctuated equilibrium paradigm. Academy of Management Review, 16(1), 10-36. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.1991.4278988
- Gibson, C. B., & Birkinshaw, J. (2004). The antecedents, consequences, and mediating role of organizational ambidexterity. Academy of Management Journal, 47(2), 209-226. https://doi.org/10.2307/20159573
- Gupta, A. K., Smith, K. G., & Shalley, C. E. (2006). The interplay between exploration and exploitation. Academy of Management Journal, 49(4), 693-706. https://doi.org/10.5465/amj.2006.22083026
- Harrigan, K. R. (2009). Using hybrid research methodologies for testing contingency theories of strategy. Research Methodology in Strategy and Management, 5, 121-136.
- Hill, S. A., & Birkinshaw, J. (2014). Ambidexterity and survival in corporate venture units. Journal of Management, 40(7), 1899-1931. https://doi.org/10.1177/0149206312445925
- Hunter, S. T., Bedell, K. E., & Mumford, M. D. (2007). Climate for creativity: A quantitative review. Creativity Research Journal, 19(1), 69-90. https://doi.org/10.1080/10400410709336883
- James, K., & Drown, D. (2012). Organizations and creativity: Trends in research, status of education and practice, agenda for the future. In M. D. Mumford (Ed.), Handbook of organizational creativity (pp. 17-38). San Diego: Academic Press.
- Jansen, J. J. P., George, G., Van Den Bosch, F. A. J., & Volberda, H. W. (2008). Senior team attributes and organizational ambidexterity: The moderating role of transformational leadership. Journal of Management Studies, 45(5), 982-1007. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-6486.2008.00775.x
- Kortmann, S. (2012). The relationship between organizational structure and organizational ambidexterit y: A comparison between manufacturing and service firms. Wiesbaden, Germany: Gabler Verlag.
- Kwon, S. J., Park, E., Ohm, J. Y., & Yoo, K. (2015). Innovation activities and the creation of new employment: An empirical assessment of south korea's manufacturing industry. Social Science Information, 54(3), 354-368. https://doi.org/10.1177/0539018415580190
- Lavie, D., Stettner, U., & Tushman, M. L. (2010). Exploration and exploitation within and across organizations. Academy of Management Annals, 4(1), 109-155. https://doi.org/10.1080/19416521003691287
- Levinthal, D. A., & March, J. G. (1993). The myopia of learning. Strategic Management Journal, 14, 95-112. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.4250141009
- Litchfield, R. C. (2008). Brainstorming reconsidered: A goal-based view. Academy of Management Review, 33(3), 649-668. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.2008.32465708
- Lubatkin, M. H., Simsek, Z., Ling, Y., & Veiga, J. F. (2006). Ambidexterity and performance in small-to medium-sized firms: The pivotal role of top management team behavioral integration. Journal of Management, 32(5), 646-672. https://doi.org/10.1177/0149206306290712
- Luo, Y., Zhang, C., Xu, Y., & Ling, H. (2013). Creativity in is usage and workgroup performance: The mediating role of ambidextrous usage. Computers in Human Behavior.
- March, J. G. (1991). Exploration and exploitation in organizational learning. Organization Science, 2, 71-87. https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.2.1.71
- Markides, C., & Chu, W. (2008). Innovation through ambidexterity: How to achieve the ambidextrous organization. In L. A. Costanzo & R. B. MacKay (Eds.), Handbook of research on strategy and foresight (pp. 324-342). Northampton, MA: Edward Elgar.
- McCarthy, I. P., & Gordon, B. R. (2011). Achieving contextual ambidexterity in r&d organizations: A management control system approach. R and D Management, 41(3), 240-258.
- O'Reilly III, C. A., & Tushman, M. L. (2008). Ambidexterity as a dynamic capability: Resolving the innovator's dilemma. Research in Organizational Behavior, 28, 185-206. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.riob.2008.06.002
- O'Reilly III, C. A., & Tushman, M. L. (2013). Organizational ambidexterity: Past, present, and future. Academy of Ma nagement Perspectives, 27(4), 324-338. https://doi.org/10.5465/amp.2013.0025
- Pacheco-De-Almeida, G. (2010). Erosion, time compression, and self-displacement of leaders in hypercompetitive environments. Strategic Management Journal, 31(13), 1498-1526. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.896
- Papachroni, A., Heracleous, L., & Paroutis, S. (2015). Organizational ambidexterity through the lens of paradox theory: Building a novel research agenda. Journal of Applied Behavioral Science, 51(1), 71-93. https://doi.org/10.1177/0021886314553101
- Piao, M. (2010). Thriving in the new: Implication of exploration on organizational longevity. Journal of Management, 36(6), 1529-1554. https://doi.org/10.1177/0149206310378367
- Raisch, S., & Birkinshaw, J. (2008). Organizational ambidexterity: Antecedents, outcomes, and moderators. Journal of Management, 34(3), 375-409. https://doi.org/10.1177/0149206308316058
- Raisch, S., Birkinshaw, J., Probst, G., & Tushman, M. L. (2009). Organizational ambidexterity: Balancing exploitation and exploration for sustained performance. Organization Science, 20(4), 685-695. https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.1090.0428
- Rousseeuw, P. J. (1987). Silhouettes: A graphical aid to the interpretation and validation of cluster analysis. Journal of Computational and Applied Mathematics, 20, 53-65. https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-0427(87)90125-7
- Schilpzand, M. C., Herold, D. M., & Shalley, C. E. (2011). Members' openness to experience and teams' creative performance. Small Group Research, 42(1), 55-76. https://doi.org/10.1177/1046496410377509
- Simsek, Z. (2009). Organizational ambidexterity: Towards a multilevel understanding. Journal of Management Studies, 46(4), 597-624. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-6486.2009.00828.x
- Simsek, Z., Heavey, C., Veiga, J. F., & Souder, D. (2009). A typology for aligning organizational ambidexterity's conceptualizations, antecedents, and outcomes. Journal of Management Studies, 46(5), 864-894. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-6486.2009.00841.x
- Siren, C. A., Kohtamaki, M., & Kuckertz, A. (2012). Exploration and exploitation strategies, profit performance, and the mediating role of strategic learning: Escaping the exploitation trap. Strategic Entrepreneurship Journal, 6(1), 18-41. https://doi.org/10.1002/sej.1126
- Somech, A., & Drach-Zahavy, A. (2013). Translating team creativity to innovation implementation: The role of team composition and climate for innovation. Journal of Management, 39(3), 684-708. https://doi.org/10.1177/0149206310394187
- Tsai, C. Y., Horng, J. S., Liu, C. H., & Hu, D. C. (2015). Work environment and atmosphere: The role of organizational support in the creativity performance of tourism and hospitality organizations. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 46, 26-35. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhm.2015.01.009
- Tuan, L. T. (2014). Organizational ambidexterity, entrepreneurial orientation, and i-deals: The moderating role of csr. Journal of Business Ethics.
- Turner, N., Swart, J., & Maylor, H. (2013). Mechanisms for managing ambidexterity: A review and research agenda. International Journal of Management Reviews, 15(3), 317-332. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1468-2370.2012.00343.x
- Tushman, M. L., & O'Reilly III, C. A. (2002). Winning through innovation: A practical guide to leading organizational change and renewal. Boston: Harvard Business School Press.
- Volery, T., Mueller, S., & von Siemens, B. (2015). Entrepreneur ambidexterity: A study of entrepreneur behaviours and competencies in growth-oriented small and medium-sized enterprises. International Small Business Journal, 33(2), 109-129. https://doi.org/10.1177/0266242613484777
- Wang, C. L., & Rafiq, M. (2014). Ambidextrous organizational culture, contextual ambidexterity and new product innovation: A comparative study of uk and chinese high-tech firms. British Journal of Management, 25(1), 58-76. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-8551.2012.00832.x
- West, M. A., & Sacramento, C. A. (2012). Creativity a nd i nnovation: The role of team and organizational climate. In M. D. Mumford (Ed.), Handbook of organizational creativity (pp. 359-385). San Diego: Academic Press.
- Yang, Z., Zhou, X., & Zhang, P. (2015). Discipline versus passion: Collectivism, centralization, and ambidextrous innovation. Asia Pacific Journal of Management, 32(3), 745-769. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10490-014-9396-6
- Yin, R. K. (2008). Case study research: Design and methods (4th ed.). California: SAGE Publications, Inc.
- Yin, R. K. (2011). Qualitative research from start to finish New York: The Guilford Press.