- Volume 17 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Discriminating Factors of Adolescents' Gambling Addiction: Focusing on Irrational Belief of Gambling, Impulsiveness, and Smartphone Addiction
청소년 도박중독 판별요인 분석 : 비합리적 도박신념, 충동성, 스마트폰 중독을 중심으로
- Received : 2016.07.20
- Accepted : 2016.08.11
- Published : 2016.08.31
The main purpose of this study was to verify if irrational belief of gambling, impulsiveness, and smartphone addiction could discriminate adolescents' gambling addiction (addiction risk group, non-addicted group). To this end, a survey was performed targeting 1,420 middle and high school students living in Jeju. In order to examine the differences between irrational belief of gambling, impulsiveness, and smartphone addiction according to gambling addiction, independent sample t-test was conducted, and to determine if irrational belief of gambling, impulsiveness, and smartphone addiction could discriminate gambling addiction, discriminant analysis was conducted. As a result, first, there were significant differences between irrational belief of gambling, impulsiveness, and smartphone addiction according to adolescents' gambling addiction, and all the variables were significantly higher in the addiction risk group than in the non-addicted group. Second, irrational belief of gambling, impulsiveness, and smartphone addiction were important explanatory variables to discriminate between the addiction risk group and the non-addicted group. In addition, as a result of examining the relative importance of the variables, irrational belief of gambling was the most important, followed by impulsiveness and smartphone addiction. Third, a discriminant function consisting of irrational belief of gambling, impulsiveness, and smartphone addiction showed a 62.5% hit ratio. This study specified the determinant factors of gambling addiction, and has presented meaningful basic data for developing programs to prevent adolescents' gambling addiction in the future.
Adolescent;Discriminant Analysis;Gambling Addiction;Impulsiveness;Irrational Belief of Gambling;Smartphone Addiction
- The National Gambling Control Commission, "2015 Statistical Data related to the Gambling Industry", The National Gambling Control Commission, 2015.
- S. B. Kim, J. I. Jang. "The Relationship between Adolescents' Stress Coping Behavior and Gambling Addiction: Mediating effect of irrational belief of gambling", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, 17, 4, pp. 85-91, 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.4.85 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.4.85
- H. G. Ryu, Y, S, Choi, H, K, Jang, J, E, Kim. "A Study on the Characteristics of Youth Gambling Addict", The Korea Journal of Health Service Management, 6, 1, pp. 153-161, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.12811/kshsm.2012.6.1.153 https://doi.org/10.12811/kshsm.2012.6.1.153
- The National Gambling Control Commission, "Program Development for Gambling Addiction Prevention for a youth", The National Gambling Control Commission, 2009.
- J. I. Jang, S. B. Kim. "A Survey Research on Adolescent Gambling Behavioral Characteristics and Level of Gambling Addiction in Jeju Area", Korean Journal of Youth Studies, 21, 3, pp. 113-139, 2014.
- J. K. Kweon. "A Study on Youth Internet Gambling Game Behavior and Policy Suggestion", Department of Youth Education and Leadership Graduate School, Myongji University, 2011.
- Y. K. Kim. "Mediational Effects of Internet Addiction and Irrational Gambling Belief on the Association between Adolescents' Stress and Gambling Behaviors in Present and Future", Korean Journal Of Counseling And Psychotherapy, 24, 1, pp. 175-195, 2012.
- Y. K. Kim. "The moderating effects of self-efficacy and ego-resilience on stress, internet addiction and gambling behavior amongst adolescents", Studies on Korean Youth, 24, 1. 127-156, 2013.
- Y. H. Kim, S. M. Shin, H. J. Lee. "Descriptive Study of Teenagers' Internet Gambling Behaviors and the Relationship with Psychological Characteristics", Korean Journal of health psychology, 17, 4, pp. 927-941, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.17315/kjhp.2012.17.4.009 https://doi.org/10.17315/kjhp.2012.17.4.009
- H. Y. Lee, D. H. Lim, H. W. Kim. "The Effects of Impulsiveness, Stress, Gamblers' Beliefs, and Parents Attachment on Gambling of Male and Female Middle School Students", Journal of Adolescent Welfare, 16, 3, pp. 257-285, 2014.
- J. A. Nam, K. M. Chae. "The Mediating Effect of Impulsiveness and the Moderating EFFECT of Mother Attachment on the Relationship between Stress and Adolescent Gambling Behavior", Korean Journal of health psychology, 17, 3, pp. 643-657, 2012. https://doi.org/10.17315/kjhp.2012.17.3.005
- J. Y. Chang. "A Study on Adolescent Gambling Behavior Evaluating the SOGS-RA and Identifying Influential Factors", Department of Social Welfare Graduate School of The Catholic University of Korea, 2011.
- J. N. Yang, E. J. Choi, M. H. Lee, Y. So. "Depression, Impulsive Behaviour and Family Health Factors Affects Irrational Belief of Gambling and Gambling Behaviour of Young People", Korean Journal of Youth Studies, 18, 5, pp. 357-383, 2011.
- H. S. Park, S. Y. Jung. "Predictors of Gambling Behavior among High School Students", J Korean Acad Psychiatr Ment Health Nurs, 20, 3, pp. 219-232, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.12934/jkpmhn.2011.20.3.219 https://doi.org/10.12934/jkpmhn.2011.20.3.219
- H. P. Lee. "The Relationship of Irrational Gambling Belief, Gambling Motive, and Risk Taking with Pathological Gambling", Department of Psychology Graduate School of Korea University, 2002.
- R. Ladouceur, & R. Walker. "A cognitive perspective on gambling. In P. M. Salkovskis(Ed.), Trends in Cognitive and Behavioral Therapies", NY: John Wiley & Sons Ltd, 1996.
- T. Toneatto. "Cognitive psychopathology of problem gambling", Substance Use & Misuse, 34, pp. 1593-1604, 1996. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3109/10826089909039417
- F. Vitaro, R. Ladouceur, & A. Bujold. "Predictive and concurrent correlates of gambling in early adolescent boys", The Journal of early Adolescence, 16, 2, pp. 211-228, 1996. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0272431696016002005 https://doi.org/10.1177/0272431696016002005
- F. Vitaro, L. Arseneault, & R. Tremblay. "Dispositional predictors of problem gambling in male adolescents", The American Journal of Psychiatry, 154, 2, pp. 1769-1770, 1997. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1176/ajp.154.12.1769 https://doi.org/10.1176/ajp.154.12.1769
- F. Vitaro, L. Arseneault, & R. Tremblay. "Impulsivity predicts problem gambling in low SES adolescent males", Addiction, 94, 4, pp. 565-575, 1999. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1046/j.1360-0443.1999.94456511.x https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1360-0443.1999.94456511.x
- F. Vitaro, M. Brengden, R. Ladouceur, & R. E. Tremblay. "Gambling, Delinquency, and drug Use During Adolescence: Mutual Influences and Common Risk Factors", Journal of Gambling Studies, 17(3), pp. 171-190, 2001. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1023/A:1012201221601 https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1012201221601
- J. D. Parker, R. N. Taylor, J. M .Eastabrook, S. L. Schell, &, L. M. Wood. "Problem gambling in adolescence: Relationships with internet misuse, gaming abuse and emotional intelligence", Personality & Individual Differences, 45(2), pp. 174-180, 2008. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.paid.2008.03.018 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.paid.2008.03.018
- Y. K. Kim. "A Study of the Factors Influencing Adolescents' Gambling Behavior", Korean Journal of Christian Counseling, 23, 2, pp. 31-55, 2012.
- K. J. Mitchell, K. A. Becker-Blease, & D. Finkelhor. "Inventory of problematic internet experiences encountered in clinical practice" Professional Psychology: Research and Practice, 36, pp. 498-509, 2005. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0735-7028.36.5.498 https://doi.org/10.1037/0735-7028.36.5.498
- Y. M. Park. "A Study on Adults' Smart Phone Addiction and Mental Health", Dept. of Counseling Psychology The Graduate School of Peace & Security.Counseling Psychology Studies Sangji University, 2011.
- K. H. Hwang, Y. S. Yoo, O. H. Cho. "Smartphone Overuse and Upper Extremity Pain, Anxiety, Depression, and Interpersonal Relationships among College Students", Journal of the Korean Contents Association, 12(10), pp. 365-375, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2012.12.10.365 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2012.12.10.365
- Ministry of Science, ICT and Future Planning & National Information Society Agency. "2013 Final Report of Investigation on the Current State of Internet Addiction", 2014.
- E. Wickwire, J. Whalen, R. West, A. Meyers, C. McClausland, & J. Leullen. "Perceived availability, risks and benefits of gambling among college students", Journal of Gambling Studies, 23, pp. 395-408, 2007. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10899-007-9069-1 https://doi.org/10.1007/s10899-007-9057-5
- The National Gambling Control Commission. "Program Development for Gambling Addiction Prevention-for a youth", The National Gambling Control Commission, 2009.
- S. J. Kwon, K. H. Kim, J. O. Choi, "Awareness of Gambling and Predictors of Gambling Behavior in Children", The Korean Journal of Health Psychology, 11, 1, pp. 147-162, 2006.
- National Information Society Agency. "The study of Development of Smartphone Addiction Scale", 2011.
- The National Gambling Control, "Commission. Study on Gambling use", The National Gambling Control Commission, 2010.
- J. P. Stevens. "Applied multivariate statistics for the social sciences", Mahwah, NJ: Erblaum, 2002.
- S. J. Kwon. "Gambling related belief and problem gambling revisited: A test of position of gambling related belief using latent growth curve modeling", Korean Journal of Youth Studies, 21, 4, pp. 359-376, 2014.
- H. J. Eysenck, M. W. Eysenck. "Personality and individual differences: A natural science approach", New York, NY: Plenum Press, 1985. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4613-2413-3
- S. J. Kwon, K. H. Kim, H. G. Seong, M. K. Rhee, S. G. Kang. "Illegal Internet Gambling: Problems, Risk factors, and Prevention strategies", Korean Journal of health psychology, 12, 1, pp. 1-19, 2007. https://doi.org/10.17315/kjhp.2007.12.1.001
Supported by : 제주대학교