- Volume 17 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
A Study on Occupational Reminiscence Therapy(ORT) Program for the Elderly with Mild Cognitive Impairment(MCI) in Local Community
지역사회 경도인지장애 노인의 작업회상치료 프로그램의 효과
- Cha, Yu-Jin (Dept. of Occupational Therapy, Semyung University)
- 차유진 (세명대학교 작업치료학과)
- Received : 2016.07.12
- Accepted : 2016.08.11
- Published : 2016.08.31
This study was conducted to apply occupational reminiscence therapy (ORT) to the elderly diagnosed with mild cognitive impairment (MCI) who reside in the local community and determine its effects on cognitive functions, physical health, communication and interaction skills, and depression. The participants were elderly diagnosed with MCI who visited YW community health center on a regular basis and were randomly divided into an experimental group and a control group. The experimental group received eight one hour sessions of ORT once a week. Individual interviews were then conducted with the participants to determine if an event or activity had been commonly experienced, after which the program was modified and supplemented as necessary by referring to previous programs. The Content Validity Index (CVI) was calculated, and differences before and after ORT's were identified by paired t-tests. Moreover, the Mann-Whitney U-test was conducted to identify differences in variances between groups. Only participants in the experimental group (n=9) reported significant improvements in cognitive function, physical health status, communication and interaction skills, and depression when compared to those in the control group (n=9). Therefore, it is expected that ORT will be actively used as a non-pharmacological intervention for preventing dementia and improving the health of elderly persons with MCI.
Supported by : 세명대학교
- T. Hopper, M. Bourgeois, J. Pimentel, C. D. Qualls, E. Hickey, T. Frymark, T. Schooling, "An evidence-based systematic review on cognitive interventions for individuals with dementia", American Journal of Speech-Language Pathology, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 126-145, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1044/1058-0360 https://doi.org/10.1044/1058-0360(2012/11-0137)
- Ministry of Health and Welfare, National plan for dementia 2013-2015, Ministry of Health and Welfare, Sejong, 2012.
- R. C. Petersen, B. Caracciolo, C. Brayne, S. Gauthier, V. Jelic, L. Fratiglioni, "Mild cognitive impairment: A concept in evolution", Journal of Internal Medicine, vol. 275, no. 3, pp. 214-228, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/joim.12190 https://doi.org/10.1111/joim.12190
- Korea Dementia Association, Dementia a clinical approach, Seoul, Academial, 2006.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare, National plan for dementia 2016-2020, Ministry of Health and Welfare, Sejong, 2015.
- C. L. Burton, E. Strauss, D. Bunce, M. A. Hunter, D. F. Hultsch, "Functional abilities in older adults with mild cognitive impairment", Gerontology, vol. 55, no. 5, pp. 570-581, 2009. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1159/000228918 https://doi.org/10.1159/000228918
- J. S. Park, S. J. Park, J Yun, Y, K. G. Choi, "Efficacy of dementia prevention program for cognitive function, depression, and physical function in the elderly non-demented women-focused on senior citizens center", Journal of Korean Society of Occupational Therapy, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 79-96, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.14519/jksot.2015.23.3.07 https://doi.org/10.14519/jksot.2015.23.3.07
- Y. H. Lee, D. L. Na, H. K. Jung, C. H. Hong, J. H. Back, J. H. Kim, S. H. Kim, Y. G. Kim, "Lifestyle recommendations for dementia prevention: PASCAL", Journal of the Korean Geriatrics Society, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 61-68, 2009. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4235/jkgs.2009.13.2.61 https://doi.org/10.4235/jkgs.2009.13.2.61
- H. J. Lee, S. K. Kang, "Age and gender differences in cognitive functioning among elderly", Mental Health & Social Work, vol. 37255-278, 2011.
- E. J. Lim, "The relationship between depression, cognitive function and the instrumental activities of daily living of elderly women living alone", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 1849-1856, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.4.1849 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.4.1849
- V. M. Dotson, M. A. Beydoun, A. B. Zonderman, "Recurrent depressive symptoms and the incidence of dementia and mild cognitive impairment", Neurology, vol. 75, no. 1, pp. 27-34, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1212/WNL.0b013e3181e62124 https://doi.org/10.1212/WNL.0b013e3181e62124
- C. G. Lyketsos, O. Lopez, B. Jones, A. L. Fitzpatrick, J. Breitner, S. DeKosky, "Prevalence of neuropsychiatric symptoms in dementia and mild cognitive impairment: Results from the cardiovascular health study", Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 288, no. 12, pp. 1475-1483, 2002. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1001/jama.288.12.1475 https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.288.12.1475
- Y. M. Lee, N. H. Park, "The effects of dementia prevention program on cognition, depression, self-esteem and quality of life in the elderly with mild cognitive disorder", Korean Journal of Adult Nursing, vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 104-114, 2007.
- H. J. Bae, "Treatment of mild cognitive impairment", Dementia and Neurocognitive Disorders, vol. 2108-114, 2003.
- L. Teri, R. G. Logsdon, E. Peskind, M. Raskind, M. F. Weiner, R. E. Tractenberg, N. L. Foster, L. S. Schneider, M. Sano, P. Whitehouse, "Treatment of agitation in AD: A randomized, placebo-controlled clinical trial", Neurology, vol. 55, no. 9, pp. 1271-1278, 2000. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1212/WNL.55.9.1271 https://doi.org/10.1212/WNL.55.9.1271
- J. S. Lee, K. M. Kim, Occupational therapy, Seoul, Jung Dam, 1997.
- S. W. Quackenbush, M. A. Barnett, "Correlates of reminiscence activity among elderly individuals", International Journal of Aging and Human Development, vol. 41, no. 2, pp. 169-181, 1995. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2190/EFW2-BEK9-0G1Y-NP2R https://doi.org/10.2190/EFW2-BEK9-0G1Y-NP2R
- M. F. Folstein, S. E. Folstein, P. R. McHugh, "Mini-mental state: A practical method for grading the cognitive state of patients for the clinician", Journal of Psychiatric Research, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 189-198, 1975. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0022-3956(75)90026-6 https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3956(75)90026-6
- T. Yamagami, M. Oosawa, S. Ito, H. Yamaguchi, "Effect of activity reminiscence therapy as brain-activating rehabilitation for elderly people with and without dementia", Psychogeriatrics, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 69-75, 2007. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1479-8301.2007.00189.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1479-8301.2007.00189.x
- H. J. Nam, J. K. Park, J. M. Kim, "The effects of group reminiscence counseling on ego integrity, depression, death anxiety of the elderly", Journal of the Korea Gerontological Society, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 49-61, 2011.
- J. Georgesen, J. M. Dungan, "Managing spiritual distress in patients with advanced cancer pain", Cancer Nursing, vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 376-383, 1996. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/00002820-199610000-00007 https://doi.org/10.1097/00002820-199610000-00007
- B. Rybarczyk, Using reminiscence interviews for stress management in the medical setting, Washington: Taylor & Francis, 1995.
- J. H. Park, M. H. Yong, M. L. Cho, S. U. Kang, Y. A. Yang, "The systematic review for research on applying the reminiscence therapy to patient with dementia domestically", Journal of Korean Association Occupational Therapy Policy for Aged Industry, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 1-8, 2013.
- V. Chung, E. Wong, S. Griffiths, "Content validity of the integrative medicine attitude questionnaire: Perspectives of a Hong Kong Chinese expert panel", Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, vol. 13, no. 5, pp. 563-570, 2007. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1089/acm.2007.6222 https://doi.org/10.1089/acm.2007.6222
- S. H. Choi, D. L. Na, B. H. Lee, D. S. Hahm, J. H. Jeong, S. J. Yoon, K. H. Yoo, "Estimating the validity of the Korean version of expanded Clinical Dementia Rating (CDR) scale", Journal of the Korean Neurological Association, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 585-591, 2001.
- C. L. F. Chan, S. Ray, S. Trudeau, "The development and reliability of the Cantonese version of the Allen Cognitive Level Screen", Occupational Therapy International, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 287-300, 2001. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/oti.152 https://doi.org/10.1002/oti.152
- A. N. Brown, Meta cognitive development and reading. Theoretical issues in reading comprehension, Hillsdale, NJ, Erlbaum, 1980.
- I. K. Jung, D. I. Kwak, S. H. Joe, H. S. Lee, "A study of standardization of Korean form of Geriatric Depression Scale(KGDS)", Journal of the Korean Geriatrics Society, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 61-72, 1997.
- Y. H. Choi, S. E. Chung, "A study on the development of physical health assessment tool and health status of Korean elderly", Korean Journal of Adult Nursing, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 70-96, 1991.
- K. Forsyth, J. S. Lai, G. Kielhofner, "The assessment of communication and interaction skills(ACIS): Measurement properties", British Journal of Occupational Therapy, vol. 62, no. 2, pp. 69-74, 1999. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/030802269906200208 https://doi.org/10.1177/030802269906200208
- B. Woods, A. Spector, C. Jones, M. Orrell, S. Davies, "Reminiscence therapy for dementia", Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, vol. 18, no. 2, pp., 2005. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/14651858.cd001120.pub2
- S. K. David, W. T. Riley, "The relationship of the Allen Cognitive Level Test to cognitive abilities and psychopathology", American Journal of Occupational Therapy, vol. 44, no. 6, pp. 493-497, 1990. https://doi.org/10.5014/ajot.44.6.493
- S. J. Shin, J. S. Lee, S. K. Kim, B. J. Jeon, "The effect of a group occupational therapy on cognitive function and depression for mild dementia patients in a community", Korean Society of Occupational Therapy, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 45-60, 2013.
- D. Laurin, R. Verreault, J. Lindsay, K. MacPherson, K. Rockwood, "Physical activity and risk of cognitive impairment and dementia in elderly persons", Archives of Neurology, vol. 58, no. 3, pp. 498-504, 2001. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1001/archneur.58.3.498 https://doi.org/10.1001/archneur.58.3.498
- A. L. Jefferson, L. K. Byerly, S. Vanderhill, S. Lambe, S. Wong, A. Ozonoff, J. H. Karlawish, "Characterization of activities of daily living in individuals with mild cognitive impairment", American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 375-383, 2008. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/JGP.0b013e318162f197 https://doi.org/10.1097/JGP.0b013e318162f197
- K. J. Chiang, H. Chu, H. J. Chang, M. H. Chung, C. H. Chen, H. Y. Chiou, K. R. Chou, "The effects of reminiscence therapy on psychological well-being, depression, and loneliness among the institutionalized aged", International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 380-388, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/gps.2350 https://doi.org/10.1002/gps.2350
- T. Chippendale, J. Bear-Lehman, "Effect of life review writing on depressive symptoms in older adults: A randomized controlled trial", American Journal of Occupational Therapy, vol. 66, no. 4, pp. 438-446, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5014/ajot.2012.004291 https://doi.org/10.5014/ajot.2012.004291
- J. D. Bremner, M. Vythilingam, E. Vermetten, V. Vaccarino, D. S. Charney, "Deficits in hippocampal and anterior cingulate functioning during verbal declarative memory encoding in midlife major depression", American Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 161, no. 4, pp. 637-645, 2004. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1176/appi.ajp.161.4.637 https://doi.org/10.1176/appi.ajp.161.4.637
- I. H. Park, I. H Choi, S. Y. Kang, Kim. Y. K., C. M. Lee, "The effects of an individual cognitive improvement program on the elderly with mild cognitive impairments", Journal of Korean Academy of Community Health Nursing, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 1-10, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2015.45.1.1 https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2015.26.1.1
- E. A. Hahn, R. Andel, "nonpharmacological therapies for behavioral and cognitive symptoms of mild cognitive impairment", Journal of Aging and Health, vol. 23, no. 8, pp. 1223-1245, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0898264311422745 https://doi.org/10.1177/0898264311422745
- E. Erdfelder, F. Faul, A. Buchner, "GPOWER: A general power analysis program", Behavior Research Methods, Instruments, & Computers, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 1-11, 1996. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3758/BF03203630 https://doi.org/10.3758/BF03203630