- Volume 17 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
The Exploratory Study of Creativity and Contents Creation in Social Media
소셜미디어 사용에서 창의성과 콘텐츠 제작에 대한 탐색적 연구
- Received : 2016.07.19
- Accepted : 2016.08.11
- Published : 2016.08.31
Many users actively create and share digital contents in a variety of social media platforms. Social media users have become accustomed to posting or uploading their daily routines, and generating their contents by imitating others' contents or by creating their own unique contents on the basis of their creativity. Thus, this paper explores the relationship between individual creativity, imitation and creative behavior in using social media. In addition, the study demonstrates the moderating effect of individual characteristics such as age and educational level on the relationship between creativity and imitation. We conducted a three-month survey of 564 individuals using social media services and the results were used for hypotheses testing. The study results are summarized as follows. Firstly, creativity has a significant and positive impact on imitation, but not a direct impact on creative behavior. Secondly, the moderating effect of individual characteristics between creativity and imitation is not statistically significant. Based on these findings, this study presents practical and academic implications of the research.
Social Media;Creativity;Imitation;Contents Creation;Exploratory Study
- Agogue, M., Poirel, N., Pineau, A., Houde, O., Cassotti, M. "The impact of age and training on creativity: A design-theory approach to study fixation effects," Thinking Skills and Creativity, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 33-41, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.tsc.2013.10.002 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tsc.2013.10.002
- Alavi, M., Tiwana, A. "Knowledge integration in virtual teams: The potential role of KMS," Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology, vol. 53, no. 12, pp. 1029-1037, 2002. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/asi.10107 https://doi.org/10.1002/asi.10107
- Amabile, T.M. Creativity in context. Boulder, Colorado: Westview Press, 1996.
- Amabile, T.M. "Motivating creativity in organizations: on doing what you love and loving what you do," California Management Review, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 39-58, 1997. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/41165921 https://doi.org/10.2307/41165921
- Bai, Y., Lin, L., Li P.P. "How to enable employee creativity in a team context: A cross-level mediating process of transformational leadership," Journal of Business Research, vol. 69, pp. 3240-3250, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2016.02.025
- Basadur, M.S., Graen, Wakabayashi, M. "Identifying Individual Differences in Creative Problem Solving Style," Journal of Creative Behaviour, vol. 24, pp. 111-131, 1990. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/j.2162-6057.1990.tb00533.x https://doi.org/10.1002/j.2162-6057.1990.tb00533.x
- Biasutti, M. "Creativity in virtual spaces: Communication modes employed during collaborative online music composition," Thinking Skills and Creativity, vol. 17, pp. 117-129, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.tsc.2015.06.002 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tsc.2015.06.002
- Cheon, H.M., Yoon, J.S. "Web2.0 and UCC: Evolutionary tendency and strategic implications," The Korean Society of Computer and Information, 2007 Summer Conference Proceeding, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 91-98, 2007.
- Choi, Y.J. "A Study on Effects of Individual Creativity of UCC Users for Emergence of Collective Intelligence-How to Develop a Process From Individual Creativities of UCC Users to Mess Opinions" The media and society, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 5-46, 2012.
- Etezadi-Amoli, J., Farhoomand, A.F. "A structural model of end user computing satisfaction and user performance," Information and Management, vol. 30, pp. 65-73, 1996. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0378-7206(95)00052-6 https://doi.org/10.1016/0378-7206(95)00052-6
- Ford, C.M. "A theory of individual creative action in multiple social domains," Academy of Management Review, vol. 21, pp. 1112-1142, 1996. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/259166 https://doi.org/10.2307/259166
- Fornell, C., Larcker, D.F. "Evaluating structural equation models with unobservable variables and measurement error," Journal of Marketing Research, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 39-50, 1981. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/3151312 https://doi.org/10.2307/3151312
- Garcia-Morales, V., Jimenez-Barrionuevo, J., Gutierrez-Gutierrez, L. "Transformational leadership influence on organizational performance through organizational learning and innovation," Journal of Business Research, vol. 65, no. 7, pp. 1040-1050, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2011.03.005 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2011.03.005
- Hair, J.F. Anderson, R.E. Tatham, R.L. Black, W.C., Multivariate Data Analysis, 5th ed. Printice-Hall, New Jersey, 1998.
- Hair, J.F., Bush, R.P., Ortinau, D.J., Marketing research: a practical approach for the new millennium. McGraw-Hill, Boston, 2000.
- Hargadon, A., Bechky, B. "When collections of creatives become creative collectives: A field study of problem solving at work," Organization Science, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 484-500, 2006. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1287/orsc.1060.0200 https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.1060.0200
- Hargadon, A., Sutton, R. "Technology brokering and innovation in a product development firm," Administrative Science Quarterly, vol. 42, pp. 716-749, 1997. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/2393655 https://doi.org/10.2307/2393655
- Horng, J.S. Tsai, C.Y., Chung, Y.C. "Measuring practitioners' creativity in the Taiwanese tourismand hospitality industry," Thinking Skills and Creativity, vol. 19, pp. 269-278, 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.tsc.2016.01.001 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tsc.2016.01.001
- Hu, L.T., Bentler, P.M. "Cutoff Criteria for Fit Indexes in Covariance Structure Analysis: Conventional Criteria Versus New Alternatives," Structural Equation Modeling, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 1-55, 1999. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/10705519909540118 https://doi.org/10.1080/10705519909540118
- Jansson, D.G., Smith, S.M. "Design fixation," Design Studies, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 3-11, 1991. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0142-694X(91)90003-F https://doi.org/10.1016/0142-694X(91)90003-F
- Jauk, E., Benedek, M., Neubauer, A.C. "The road to creative achievement: A latent variable model of ability and personality predictors," European Journal of Personality, vol. 28, pp. 95-105, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/per.1941 https://doi.org/10.1002/per.1941
- Jingyan, Lu., Qiang, Hao, Mengguo, Jing "Consuming, sharing, and creating content: How young students use new social media in and outside school," Computers in Human Behavior, vol. 64, pp. 55-64, 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2016.06.019 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2016.06.019
- Karwowski, M., Dul, J., Gralewski, J., Jauk, J., Jankowska, D.M., Gajda, A., Chruszczewski, M.H., Benedek, M. "Is creativity without intelligence possible? A Necessary Condition Analysis," Intelligence, vol. 57, pp. 105-117, 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.intell.2016.04.006 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.intell.2016.04.006
- Kim, D.T. "The Effect of Mimetic Purchase on the Product Satisfaction -Focused on the Moderating Role of Self Esteem-," The Journal of the Korea Contents Association, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 373-379, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2015.15.04.373 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2015.15.04.373
- Lewis, B.K. "Social media and strategic communication: Attitudes and perceptions among college students," Public Relations Journal, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 1-23, 2010.
- Newcomb, M.D., Huba, G.J., Bentler, P.M. "Determinants of sexual and dating behaviors among adolescence," Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, vol. 50, no. 2, pp. 428-438, 1986. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0022-35184.108.40.2068 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35220.127.116.118
- Nunnally, J.C., Bernstein, I.H. Psychometric Theory, 3rd ed. NewYork, NY: McGraw-Hill, 1994.
- Oldham, G. R., Cummings, A. "Employee creativity: personal and contextual factors at work," Academy of Management Journal, vol. 39, no. 3, pp. 607-634, 1996. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/256657 https://doi.org/10.2307/256657
- Paulus, P. "Groups, teams, and creativity: The creative potential of idea-generating groups," Applied psychology, vol. 49, no. 2, pp. 237-262, 2000. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/1464-0597.00013 https://doi.org/10.1111/1464-0597.00013
- Ping, R.A. Latent Variable Interactions and Quadratics in Survey Data: A Source Book for Theoretical Model Testing. 2nd ed., 2003.
- Runco, M.A. Developmental Trends in Creative Ability and Potential, In M. A. Runco, (Ed), Creativity Handbook(Vol.1), Cresskil NJ: Hampton, 1999.
- Runco, M.A., Millar, G., Acar, S., Cramond, B "Torrance tests of creative thinking as predictors of personal and public achievement: A fifty-year follow-up," Creativity Research Journal, vol. 22, pp. 361-368, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/10400419.2010.523393 https://doi.org/10.1080/10400419.2010.523393
- Sigalaa, M. Chalkiti, K. "Knowledge management, social media and employee creativity," International Journal of Hospitality Management, vol. 45, pp. 44-58, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhm.2014.11.003 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhm.2014.11.003
- Sternberg, R J., Lubart, T.I. "Investing in creativity," American Psychologist, vol. 51, no. 7, pp. 677-688, 1996. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0003-066X.51.7.677 https://doi.org/10.1037/0003-066X.51.7.677
- Taherdoost, H., Sahibuddin, S., Namayandeh, M., Jalaliyoon, N. "Propose an educational plan for computer ethics and information security," Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences, vol. 28, pp. 815-819, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2011.11.149 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2011.11.149
- Tatarkiewicz, W., History of Aesthetics, Mijin Publishing, 1997.
- Van de Ven, A.H. "Central Problems in the Management of Innovation," Management Science, vol. 32, no. 5, pp. 590-607, 1986. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.32.5.590 https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.32.5.590
- Wang, K.S. Kim, H.Y. "Structural Relationships among Individualized Consideration, Intrinsic Motivation, Challenging Work, Resources, Creativity and Job Performance," Korean journal of thinking development, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 51-71, 2010.
- Yang, Y., Lee, P.K.C., Cheng, T.C.E. "Continuous improvement competence, employee creativity, and new service development performance: A frontline employee perspective," Int. J. Production Economics, vol. 171, pp. 275-288, 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpe.2015.08.006 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpe.2015.08.006
- Yates, D., Paquette, S. "Emergency knowledge management and social media technologies: A case study of the 2010 Haitian earthquake," International Journal of Information Management, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 6-13, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijinfomgt.2010.10.001 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijinfomgt.2010.10.001
- Yeh, Y. Research and methods. In M. A. Runco, & S. R. Pritzker (Eds.), Encyclopedia of creativity 2nd ed., San Diego, CA: Academic Press, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-12-375038-9.00183-7
- Zhou, J., George, J.M. "When job dissatisfaction leads to creativity: Encouraging the expression of voice," Academy of Management Journal, vol. 44, pp. 682-696, 2001. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/3069410 https://doi.org/10.2307/3069410
- J. J. Kim, H. J. Kim, S. J. Eo, "A Study on the Directions for Analysis of Image-Based Creativity-Boosting and Personality-Building Educational Contents by Digital Curation System," Asia-pacific Journal of Multimedia Services Convergent with Art, Humanities, and Sociology, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 333-341, Feb. 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.14257/AJMAHS.2016.13 https://doi.org/10.14257/AJMAHS.2016.02.13
- Jeong-Suk Kwon, "The Directing points of Media Education in Knowledge Information Societ," Asia-pacific Journal of Multimedia Services Convergent with Art, Humanities, and Sociology, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 213-222, Dec. 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.14257/AJMAHS.2014.12.16. https://doi.org/10.14257/AJMAHS.2014.12.16
- E. C. hae, H. S. Pak, "The development of multimedia education platform optimized for the audiovisual production," Asia-pacific Journal of Multimedia Services Convergent with Art, Humanities, and Sociology, vol. 5, no. 6, pp. 419-428, Dec. 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.14257/AJMAHS.2015.12.07. https://doi.org/10.14257/AJMAHS.2015.12.07
- Y. J. Yoon, S. W. Park, "Exploratory Study on the Contents Design of Mobile Edutainment for Preschool Children," Asia-pacific Journal of Multimedia Services Convergent with Art, Humanities, and Sociology, Vol.2, No.2, December (2012), pp. 93-100 DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.14257/AJMAHS.2012.12.02