- Volume 17 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Numerical Simulation of Sloshing Test for Fuel Tank of Rotorcraft
회전익항공기용 연료탱크 슬로싱 시험 수치해석
- Kim, Hyun-Gi (Korea Aerospace Research Institute) ;
- Kim, Sung Chan (Korea Aerospace Research Institute)
- Received : 2016.05.09
- Accepted : 2016.07.07
- Published : 2016.07.31
The rapid turning and acceleration movement of a rotorcraft leads to a sloshing phenomenon in the fuel tank. Sloshing caused by rapid movement can affect the internal components by creating an excessive load. In severe situations, the resulting damage to the internal components and pipes can also lead to the tearing of the fuel tank itself. Therefore, to improve the survivability of the crew, the internal components of the fuel tank must be designed to retain their structural soundness during the sloshing phenomenon. In order to accomplish this, the sloshing load acting on the components first needs to be determined. This paper investigates the sloshing load applied to the internal components by performing numerical analysis for rotary-wing aircraft fuel tanks in the sloshing test. Fluid-Structural Interaction (FSI) analysis based on smoothed particle hydrodynamics (SPH) is conducted and the conditions specified in the US military standard (MIL-DTL-27422D) are employed for the numerical simulation. Based on this numerical simulation, by analyzing the load applied to the internal components of the fuel tank due to the sloshing phenomenon, the possibility of obtaining the design data by numerical analysis is examined.
Grant : 내추락성 및 2.75%(MIL-G-26988 Class II) 측정정확도를 가진 헬기용 연료량 측정장치 기술개발
Supported by : 산업통상자원부
- In Sik Nho, Min-Seok Ki, Sung-Chan Kim, "A Study on Simplified Sloshing Impact Response Analysis for Membrane-Type LNG Cargo Containment System", Journal of the Society of Naval Architects of Korea, Vol. 48, No. 5, pp.451-456, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3744/SNAK.2011.48.5.451 https://doi.org/10.3744/SNAK.2011.48.5.451
- Graczyk, M. & Moan, T., "A Probabilistic Assessment of Design Sloshing Pressure Time Histories in LNG Tanks", Ocean Engineering, 35, pp.834-855, 2008. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.oceaneng.2008.01.020 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oceaneng.2008.01.020
- Jang Ryong Shin, Kyung Sik Choi, Sin Young Kang, "An Analytic Solution to Sloshing Natural Periods for a Prismatic Liquid Cargo Tank with Baffles", Journal of Ocean Engineering and Technology, Vol.19, No.6, pp.16-21, 2005.
- Sang Hyuk Lee, Nahmkeon Hur, "A Numerical Study on Flows in a Fuel Tank with Baffles and Porous Media to Reduce Sloshing Noise", Korean Society for Computational Fluids Engineering, Vol.14, No.2, pp.68-76, 2009.
- Sejin Ahn, Seongho Yoon, "Experimental Study and Evaluation Method for Sloshing Noise of Fuel Tank on Passenger Vehicle", Transactions of the Korean Society for Noise and Vibration Engineering, Vol.24, No.6, pp.444-451, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5050/KSNVE.2014.24.6.444 https://doi.org/10.5050/KSNVE.2014.24.6.444
- U.S.Army Aviation and Missile Command, "Detail Specification for the Tank, Fuel, Crash- Resistant, Ballistic-Tolerant, Aircraft, MIL-DTL-27422D", 30 January 2007.
- J.J. Monaghan, "Smoothed Particle Hydrodynamics", Annual Review of Astronomy and Astrophysics, Vol.30, pp.543-574, 1992. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1146/annurev.aa.30.090192.002551 https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.aa.30.090192.002551
- J.J. Monaghan, R.A. Gingold, "Shock Simulation by the Particle Method SPH", Journal of Computational Physics, Vol.52, No.2, pp.374-389, 1983. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0021-9991(83)90036-0 https://doi.org/10.1016/0021-9991(83)90036-0
- Philipp Hahn, "On the Use of Meshless Methods in Acoustic Simulations", University of Wisconsin-Madison, Thesis of Master, 2009.
- Hyun_Gi Kim, Sung Chan Kim, Jong Won Lee, In Hee Hwang, et al, "Slosh & Vibration Qualification Test for Fuel Tank of Rotorcraft", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, Vol.14, No.1, pp.62-68, 2011.
- Hyun_Gi Kim, Sung Chan Kim, "Study on the Phase II Qualification Test for Fuel Cell of Rotorcraft", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, Vol. 14, No.3, pp.1054-1060, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.3.1054 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.3.1054