- Volume 17 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Examining depressive symptoms of visually impaired adults in Korea
한국 후천적 시각장애인의 우울과 영향요인에 관한 연구
- Kim, Hyemee (Department of Social Welfare, Incheon National University)
- 김혜미 (인천대학교 사회복지학과)
- Received : 2016.06.16
- Accepted : 2016.07.07
- Published : 2016.07.31
This study was designed to examine the depressive symptoms of individuals who became visually impaired and identify factors associated with the symptom. For the analysis, data from the Korean National Survey of Individuals with Disability 2014 was used. Adults between the ages of 20 and 60 years who became visually impaired after the first year of birth were included with a total of 235 individuals in the final sample. To identify the determinants of their depressive symptoms, a multivariate logistic regression analysis was conducted. The results showed that about twenty percent of the respondents reported having depressive symptoms in the past year. Among the sociodemographic factors, age, gender, and marital status were identified as significant predictors, while smoking status, stress level, and self-reported health status were identified as important health-related predictors. Among the disability-related factors, the length of disability and activities of daily living level were found to be significantly associated with the likelihood of experiencing the symptom. The results indicate the need for practitioners working with visually impaired populations to be better aware of the risks of depression and develop a wide array of preventive measures and techniques to work with individuals suffering from depression.
Supported by : 인천대학교
- S. H. Kim et al., "A national report on people with disabilities", Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs, 2014.
- Y. C. Byun et al. "A national report on people with disabilities", Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs, 2005.
- S. H. Kim et al., "A national report on people with disabilities", Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs, 2011.
- K. J. Lee, "Observing the process of newly blinded person's reconstruction of self identity through life history method and research on the issue", Korea journal of 21th Century Social Welfare, 6, 45-72, 2009.
- P. Stanford., H. A. Waterman., W. B. Russell, R. E. Harper, "Living with age related muscular degeneration", British Journal of Visual Impairment, 27, 2, 129-146. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0264619609102216 https://doi.org/10.1177/0264619609102216
- B. K. Kim, "A study on factors related to employment needs of persons with severe visual disabilities" Unpublished masters thesis, Chung Ang University, 2004.
- E. M. Kim, "A study on factors affecting self-efficiency of sight-losing people and its characteristics," Unpublished masters thesis, WooSuk University, 2005..
- K. T. Park, "A study on desire for employment and a proper job of the persons with adventitious visual impairment" Unpublished masters thesis, DongKuk University, 2008.
- N. H. Song, "A phenomenological study on lived experiences of persons afflicted with midlife visual impairment" Unpublished doctoral dissertation, CheonNam National University, 2010.
- W. J., Kang, K. S., Park, "The factors influencing utilization of the personal assistance service for the visually impaired people," Health and Social Welfare Review, 31,2, 146-179, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.15709/hswr.2011.31.2.146 https://doi.org/10.15709/hswr.2011.31.2.146
- S. Kim et al., "Mental health of people with retinitis pigmentosa", Optometry and Vision Science, 90, 5, 1-6, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/OPX.0b013e31828dee0a https://doi.org/10.1097/OPX.0b013e31828dee0a
- J. W. Shim, S. H. Han, "Preventive health examination, health behavior, and psychological health in visual disabilities" Journal of Korean Ophthamology Society, 52, 12, 1870-1878, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3341/jkos.2012.53.12.1870 https://doi.org/10.3341/jkos.2012.53.12.1870
- G. E. Cho et al., "Visual impairment of Korean population: Prevalence and impact on mental health", Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science, 56, 8, 4375-4381, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1167/iovs.15-16462
- T., Lupsakko, M. Mantyjarvi, H., Kautiainen, R. Sulkava, "Combined hearing and visual impairment and depression in a population aged 75 years and older", International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, 17, 808-813, 2002. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/gps.689 https://doi.org/10.1002/gps.689
- J. Bookwala, B. Lawson, "Poor visio, functioning, and depressive symptoms: A test of the activity restriction model", The Gerontologist, 51, 6, 798-808, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/geront/gnr051 https://doi.org/10.1093/geront/gnr051
- S. R. Nyman, M. A. Gosney, C. R. Victor, "Psychosocial impact of visual impairment in working-age adults", British Journal of Ophthalmology, 94, 1427-1431, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bjo.2009.164814 https://doi.org/10.1136/bjo.2009.164814
- B. E. Kim et al., "Associations between work-family conflict and self-esteem and depression of married working men", Health and Social Welfare Review, 36, 1, 473-496, 2016. https://doi.org/10.15709/hswr.2016.36.1.473
- D. S. Davis, "Lifestyle risks for three disease outcomes in spinal cord injury," American Sociological Review, 24, 314-342, 2002. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1191/0269215502cr443oa https://doi.org/10.1191/0269215502cr443oa
- Bae. K. H, O. N. Kim, "Drinking behavior of adult mentally retarded persons-variables associated with gender, age, and the pattern of employment," Korean Journal of Social Welfare, 55, 88-102, 2003.
- H. J. Lee, S. K. Kahng, "The relationship between stressors, psychosocial resources, and depression among individuals with disabilities," Mental Health and Social Work, 33, 193-217, 2009.
- Y. Kwon, "The relationship between activity of daily living and depression depending on types and degree of physical disability and psychological disoder" Unpublished masters thesis, Yeon-Sei University, 2014.
- J. H. Jeon, "Study for the relationship between disability discrimination experiences and depression of people with disabilities," Mental Health and Social Work, 35, 8, 51-80, 2010.
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention[CDCP], Korea Health Statistics 2012, 2013.
- J. H. Lee, "Mediating effects of subjective health rates on the relationship between stress and life satisfaction of the persons with mental illness", Korean Journal of Health Education and Promotions, 32, 1, 23-32, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.14367/kjhep.2015.32.1.23 https://doi.org/10.14367/kjhep.2015.32.1.23
- B. K., Kwon, H. S. Park, "A study on the actual conditions and influencing factors on depression of female adults with disabilities," Korean Journal of Social Welfare, 57,1,169-192, 2005.
- J J. Kim, "A study on activities of daily living and cognitive functions of students with visual impairments," Journal of KSATO, 3, 65-74, 2011.