- Volume 17 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
An Analysis of Ex-post Evaluation on Korea-EU FTA with respect to the Agricultural Sector
한·EU FTA 농업부문 사후영향평가
- Han, Suk-Ho (Korea Rural Economic Institute)
- 한석호 (한국농촌경제연구원)
- Received : 2016.04.27
- Accepted : 2016.07.07
- Published : 2016.07.31
As the FTAs' implementations are accelerated, an Ex-post assessment, such as an analysis of the tariff schedule and agricultural trade has been emerging as an important national issue for an agricultural sector Korea-EU FTA, which was to be implemented in the five years from July 2016 as one of the giant FTA. The purpose of this study was to determine the demand of an ex-post assessment on agricultural sector as a trade negotiation procedural law. In addition, by providing policy direction for the agricultural policy part requiring amendments and supplements through ex-post assessment, the conflicting arguments between agricultural and non-agricultural sector can be evaluated more objectively. The current evaluation method on the economic impact ex-post assessment of a FTA is generally compared using the change in trade balance before and after the time of FTA implementation. On the other hand, this comparison cannot be said to be the pure FTA effects and objective, tightening economic impact assessment of the FTA in all combined situations, such as the effects of exchange rates and international macroeconomic changes and climate change & occurrence of pests. Over the last 4 years, however, Korea-EU FTA's total accumulated agricultural GDP loss was measured to be 2,178 billion by these research attempts with dynamic analysis as ex-post assessment methodology. The greatest impact was mainly livestock and pork followed by cereals and vegetables. In addition, this research is expected to contribute to policy evaluations in the future.
- H. P. Moon. "Strategy in Response to Free Trade Agreement(FTA) in Agricultural Sector: An Economic Effect Analysis of Domestic Measures Related to Korea-Chile FTA," R683. Korea Rural Economic Institute. 2012.
- J. B. Lim, B. I. Ahn. "A Study on developing Standard Model on Evaluation for FTAs' Impacts" Seoul National University. 2009.
- J. W. Lee. "An Study of Application and Development on Analysis of FTAs' Impacts for Farmer's income," GS&J Institute. 2011.
- S. Brown, S.H. Han, D. Madison. "Korea Agricultural Simulation Model and Livestock Quarterly Model," M91. Korea Rural Economic Institute. 2008.
- S. H. Han, J. H. Yoon, J. W. Youm, "A Preliminary Study for Developing an Existing FTAs, Ex-post Impact Assesment Model," P205. Korea Rural Economic Institute. 2015.
- S. H. Han, H. S. Seo. J. W. Youm, C. H. Kim CH. "A Study on Development of Korea Agricultural Simulation Model 2015," M137. Korea Rural Economic Institute. 2016.
- S. K. Choi. "Korea-EU FTA Effects on Korean Agriculture and Export Promotion," C2008-33. Korea Rural Economic Institute. 2009.
- S. K. Choi, T. H. Kim, D. H. Jeong. "Evaluation of Compensation Measures and Impacts of Implemented FTAs on Agricultural Sector," R597. Korea Rural Economic Institute. 2009.