- Volume 17 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Numerical Simulation of Inkjet Drop Formation in Piezo Inkjet Head
피에조 잉크젯 헤드의 액적 토출 형상 전산해석
- Joo, Youngcheol (Dept of Mechanical Engineering, Soonchunhyang University) ;
- Park, Sangkug (Dept of Mechanical Engineering, Soonchunhyang University) ;
- Kwon, Key-Si (Dept of Mechanical Engineering, Soonchunhyang University)
- Received : 2016.04.14
- Accepted : 2016.07.07
- Published : 2016.07.31
A drop-on-demand inkjet is used widely for various applications. Therefore, it is important to understand the jetting behavior of the drop from the piezo inkjet. In this study, to predict the jetting behavior, VOF (Volume-of-Fluid) simulation techniques were used and compared with the experimental results. The experimentally measured meniscus movement was used as the input data for the simulation. To verify the simulation, the measured jetting behavior of the mixture fluids of ethylene glycol and IPA (isopropyl alcohol), which has a mixing ratio of 50:50, was used. The numerical simulation of the drop formation using various mixture ratios and its comparison with the measured drop formation confirmed that the proposed method can predict the actual jetting. On the other hand, the satellite drop behavior showed slight differences because the small sized droplet is subject to a more aerodynamic effect during flight because the kinetic energy of the satellite droplet is far smaller than that of the main droplet.
Supported by : 순천향대학교
- Herman Wijshoff, "The dynamics of the piezo inkjet print head operation," Physics Reports, Vol. 491, pp.77-177, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.physrep.2010.03.003 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.physrep.2010.03.003
- Seogsoon Kim, Dongsoo Kim, Wonhee Lee, Dongyun Shin, Chounghwan Kim, "Ink-jet Printing Technology for Paradigm Shift in Mass Production," Journal of the Korean Society for Precision Engineering, Vol. 23, No. 8, pp.15-21, 2006
- Sang-Kwon Wee, Seyoung Oh, Jung Yong Lee, Yu-Seop Lee, and Jaewoo Chung, "A Study on Droplet Formation from Piezo Inkjet Print Head", Transactions of the KSME B, Vol.30, No.10, pp.1003-1011, 2006. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-B.2006.30.10.1003
- J.H. Yoo, Y.W. Park, "Study of Jetting Performance of Magnetostrictive Inkjet Head According to Fluid Properties," Korean Society for Precision Engineering Fall Conference, pp.79-80, 2010.
- Wu, H. C., Hwang, W. S. and Lin, H. J., "Development of a Three-Dimensional Simulation System for Micro-Inkjet and Its Experimental Verification," Material Science and Engineering A, Vol. 373, pp.268-278, 2004. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.msea.2004.01.043 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msea.2004.01.043
- Sungil Kim, Gihun Son, "Numerical Study on Drop Formation Through a Micro Nozzle," Transactions of the KSME B, Vol. 29, No. 2, pp.205-213, 2005. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3795/ksme-b.2005.29.2.205 https://doi.org/10.3795/ksme-b.2005.29.2.205
- Derby, B. and Reis, N., Inkjet Pringting of Highly Loaded Particulate Suspensions, MRS Bulletin, November, pp.816-818, 2003.
- Aran der Bos, Mark-Jan van der Meulen, Theo Driessen, Marc van der Berg, Hans Reinten, Herman Wijshoff, Michel Versluis, and Detlef Lohse, "Velocity profile inside piezoacousitic inkjet droplets in flight: Comparison between experimental and numerical simulation," Physical Review Applied, Vol. 1, 2014.
- J.H. Myong, K.S. Kwon, T.J. Um, Y.Ch. Joo, S.W. Lee, "Experimental study of waveform effect on jetting performance," Korean Society for Precision Engineering Fall Conference, pp.273-274, 2008.
- Kye-Si Kwon, "Experimental analysis of waveform effects on satellite and ligament behavior via in situ measurement of the drop-on-demand drop formation curve and the instantaneous jetting speed curve," Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering, Vol. 20, 115005, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1088/0960-1317/20/11/115005 https://doi.org/10.1088/0960-1317/20/11/115005
- FLUENT 5 User's Guide, FLUENT inc, 1998.