- Volume 17 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Covariance Structure Analysis on the Impact of Job Stress, Fatigue Symptoms and Job Satisfaction on Turnover Intention among Dental Hygienists
치과위생사의 직무스트레스, 피로 및 직무만족도가 이직의도에 미치는 영향에 대한 공분산구조분석
- Han, Se-Young (Department of Dental Hygiene, Catholic Sangji College) ;
- Cho, Young-Chae (Department of Preventive Medicine and Public Health, Chungnam National University School of Medicine)
- Received : 2016.04.11
- Accepted : 2016.07.07
- Published : 2016.07.31
This study was conducted to investigate the influence of job stress, fatigue symptoms and job satisfaction on turnover intention among dental hygienists. Overall, 516 dental hygienists who work in dental clinics were surveyed using a standardized self-administered questionnaire from April 1 to June 30, 2015. Mean turnover intention was compared to each independent variable tested by t-tests and ANOVA, correlation among turnover intention, job stress, fatigue symptoms and job satisfaction was calculated by Pearson's correlation coefficient, and covariance structure analysis was used to evaluate whether turnover intention was associated with job stress, fatigue symptoms and job satisfaction. Turnover intention was significantly higher among subjects with higher job stress and fatigue, as well as those with lower job satisfaction. Additionally, turnover intention was significantly positively correlated with job stress and fatigue symptoms, while turnover intention was negatively correlated with job satisfaction. Covariance structure analysis revealed job stress had a greater impact on turnover intention than fatigue and job satisfaction, high job stress and fatigue, the lower the job satisfaction showed that the effect of increasing the turnover intention. Overall, these results indicate that turnover intention of dental hygienists are more heavily influenced by job satisfaction and job stress than fatigue. Therefore, efforts are needed to reduce job stress and fatigue, as well as to improve job satisfaction to reduce the degree of turnover intention among dental hygienists.
- Chun JR. The Influence of management's leadership style on employee's turnover intention. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, 12(12): 5550-5557, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2011.12.12.5550 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2011.12.12.5550
- Korean Dental Association. A survey on dental assist manpower for dental. Seoul: Korean Dental Association Research, 17-98, 2008.
- Lee YA, Jeong EK. A research on the job stress of dental hygienists and its countermeasure -focused on the dental hygienists in daegu region-. J Korean Soc Hygienic Science, 11(1): 149-157, 2005.
- Ahn YS, Shin SJ, Jung SH, Lee YS, Lim DS. Comparison of job description and turnover trend among dental hygienists and assistant nurses in dental clinics. J Korean Acad Dent Health 30(3):309-315, 2006.
- Choi HN, Lee JW, Cho YS. Factors associated with turnover intention of public health dental hygienists. J Korean Soc Hygienic Sciences 11(3): 343-35, 2011..
- Lim HK. A study on the turnover of dental hygienist with reference to Seoul and Kyunggi province. Graduate School of Kyung Hee University master's thesis 2001.
- Bae SM, Kim HK. A status of determinant of the intention to turnover for dental hygienists. Journal of Korea Academia-industrial Cooperation Society, 13(12): 5986-5992, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.12.5986 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.12.5986
- Cho HR. Factors affecting the turnover intention of R&D personnel. Graduate School of Korea University master's thesis 1996.
- Kwon SJ, Bae SK. Analysis of impact factors of affective commitment in organization of dental hygienist in busan area. Journal of Korea Contents Association, 9(5):156-165, 2009. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2009.9.5.156 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2009.9.5.156
- Hardy GE, Shapiro DA, Borrill CS. Fatigue in the workforce of national health service trust: Levels of symptomatology and lings with minor psychiatric disorder, demographic, occupational and work role factors. J Psychosomatic Research, 43(1):83-92, 1997. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0022-3999(97)00019-6 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-3999(97)00019-6
- Wall TD. Bolden RI, Borrill CS, Carter AJ, Golya DA, Hardy GE, Haynes CE, Rick JE, Shapiro DA, West MA. Minor psychiatric disorder in NHS trust staff: occupational and gender differences. Br J Psychiatry, 171:519-523, 1997. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1192/bjp.171.6.519 https://doi.org/10.1192/bjp.171.6.519
- Park JR, Lee YK. A study on the job stress and job satisfaction of the dental clinics or dental hospitals in seoul and the gyeongnam region. J Korean Acad Dent Health, 33(2):309-320, 2009.
- Lee HO, JU OJ, Kim YI. An analysis on factors related to the job satisfaction of dental hygienists at J region. J Dent Hyg Sci, 7(2): 65-72, 2007.
- Elstad JI, Vabo M. Job stress, sickness absence and sickness presenteeism in Nordic elderly care. Scand J Public Health, 36:467-474, 2008. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/1403494808089557 https://doi.org/10.1177/1403494808089557
- Han SS, Kim OS, Joo YS, Choi ED, Han JW. Effects of nurses' monitoring on turnover intention: focused on the mediating effects role stress and burnout. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 43(5):605-612, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2013.43.5.605 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2013.43.5.605
- Heo SE, Ji JH. The Mediating effects of burnout on the relationships between job stress and turnover intention for dental hygienists. Korean Public Health Research, 36(2):35-55, 2010.
- Lee HS. A study on the effects of fatigue on turnover intention and job satisfaction in private police. Korean Security Science Association, 21:53-74, 2009.
- Chen I Hui, Brown Roger, Bowers Barbara J, Chang Wen Yin. Work-to-family conflict as a mediator of the relationship between job satisfaction and turnover intention. J Adv Nurs. 1-14, 2015.
- Kim YG, Choe MS, Jeong GT, Kim YH. A study on the empowerment and organizational commitment of dental hygienist. Korean Society of Hospital Management, 8(4):76-110, 2003.
- Jeong JH, Kim JS, Kim KH. The risk factors influencing turnover intention of nurses. The Journal of Korean Nursing Administration Academic Society, 14(1):35-44, 2008.
- Yu HS. Influence factors on dental hygienists; turnover intention. Graduate School of Kyung Hee University master's thesis 2008.
- Go EJ. Factors affecting intent to leave for dental hygienists. Graduate School of Inje University master's thesis 2009.
- Lee CS, Park SY, Park HM, You Y, Shin EK, Chae SI et al. Influential job-related characteristics for the job satisfaction and turnover possibility of dental hygienists. J Dent Hyg Sci, 12(6): 666-674, 2012.
- Faul F, Erdfelder E, Lang AG, Buchner A. G*power 3: A flexible statistical power analysis program for the social, behavioral, and science. Behavior Research Methods, 39(2):175-191, 2007. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3758/BF03193146 https://doi.org/10.3758/BF03193146
- Chang SJ, Koh SB, Kang DM, Kim SA, Kang MG, Lee CG et al. Developing an occupational stress scale for Korean employees. Korean J Occup Environ Med, 17(4):297-317, 2005.
- Schwartz JE, Jandorf L, Krupp LB. The measurement of fatigue: a new instrument, J Psychosom Res, 37(7):753-762, 1993. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0022-3999(93)90104-N https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3999(93)90104-N
- Chang SJ. Standardization of collection and measurement of health statistics data. The Korean Society for Preventive Medicine. Seoul, 92-143, 2000.
- Slavitt D. Nurses satisfaction with their work situation. Nursing Research, 27(2):114-120, 1978. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/00006199-197803000-00018 https://doi.org/10.1097/00006199-197803000-00018
- Park SA, Yun SN. Measurement of job satisfaction of nurses and health workers in health centers. J Korean Academy of Nursing, 22(3):316-324, 1992.
- Mobley, W. H.&R. W. Griffeth. Review and conceptual analysis of the employee turnover recess, Psychological Bulletin, 86:493-522, 1979. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.86.3.493 https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.86.3.493
- Lee GH. The impact of career plateau on turnover intentions: concerning on bank employee. Graduate School of Hanyang University master's thesis 2004.
- Shin HR, Cho YC. Relationships between job stress and turnover among nurses in university hospitals. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, 14(8): 3958-3970, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.8.3958 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.8.3958
- Lee KH, Kim JY. Effect of shiftwork nurses fatigue on job stress turnover intention-mediating role of job stress. Korean Journal of occupational health nursing, 20(1): 74-82, 2011. https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2011.20.1.074
- Yoon MS, Lee KH, Choi MS. A study on the turnover intention and job satisfaction of dental hygienists. J Korean Soc Hygienic Sciences, 6(3):147-152, 2006.
- Lee HJ, Cho YC. Relationships between job satisfaction and turnover intention among nurses in general hospitals. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, 15(7): 4404-4415, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.7.4404 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.7.4404
- Park SY, Kim JS. A study on the self-efficacy and turnover intention of dental hygienists. The Korean Journal of Health Service Management. 7(4):23-32, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.12811/kshsm.2013.7.4.023 https://doi.org/10.12811/kshsm.2013.7.4.023
- Oh HK, Suh JH. An exploratory study of the factors affecting turnover intention of jewelry manufacturing employees: focusing on jongro district in seoul. The Korea Society of Art & Design, 17(3):119-144, 2014.
- Lee JH, Cho WH, Chang SJ, Kim YH. The effect of work and psychosocial stress on job satisfaction, organizational commitment, and leaving intention in general hospital female office workers. Korean Society of Hospital Management, 17(1):1-22. 2012.
- Yang NY, Park JH, Han DS, Lee JH. A study on factor affecting the turnover intention of occupational therapists. The Journal of Korean Society of Occupational Therapy, 22(4):39-48, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.14519/jksot.2014.22.4.04 https://doi.org/10.14519/jksot.2014.22.4.04
- Oh MO, Sung MH, Kim YW. Job stress, fatigue, job satisfaction and commitment to organization in emergency department nurses. Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research, 17(2):215-227, 2011.
- Choi SE, Kim SD. Relationships of fatigue to job satisfaction turnover intention among clinical nurses at small&medium-sized hospital. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, 14(9):4218-4226, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.9.4218
- Urmanov Bahromjon, Shin HY, Kim KS. A study on factors affecting turnover intention of it professionals Eurasian Study, 10(1):147-174, 2013. https://doi.org/10.31203/aepa.2013.10.1.009
- Kim HY, Choi JO, Seong MG. The effect of self-efficacy and job satisfaction of dental hygienists on the organizational commitment and turnover intention. Journal of Korean Society of Dental Hygiene, 12(1):213-223, 2012. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2012.12.1.213
- Chae JA, Bae SW. A study on the effects of medical employees's emotional labor on turnover intention and customer orientation -mediated by job stress and job satisfaction-. Journal of Marketing Management Research, 19(1): 133-152, 2014.
- Lee SM, Choi WJ, Han GS, Kim CH. Influencing factors of turnover intention of dental hygienists using by the path analysis. Journal of Korean Society of Dental Hygiene, 13(6):941-949, 2013. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2013.13.06.941
- Kim JH. Structural equation modeling for humor, job satisfaction, job stress and intention to turnover. J Korean Acad Nurs Adm, 19(2): 265-272, 2013. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2013.19.2.265
- Kim CH, Yang SS, Kim YJ, Son YJ, You MA, Song JE. A structural equation model of nurses' turnover intention. J Korean Acad Nurs Adm, 15(4):550-562, 2009.