- Volume 17 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Structural Equation Model for the Subjective Happiness of Adolescents : Focused on Perceived Stress, Activities and Practices
청소년의 주관적 행복감 구조모형 : 스트레스 인지와 의도적 활동중심으로
- Received : 2016.06.15
- Accepted : 2016.07.07
- Published : 2016.07.31
This study was designed to examine the relationships among the levels of perceived stress, dietary behaviors, physical exercise, drinking, smoking, and relief from fatigue through sleep which affect the subjective happiness in adolescents. Based on the study findings, this paper proposes the basic data required for offering practical solutions to improve the subjective happiness of adolescents. IBM SPSS 20 and AMOS 23 were used to conduct frequency and descriptive analyses, in conjunction with Pearson's correlation coefficients, the AMOS bootstrapping method and phantom variables, for the raw data obtained from the 9,599 participants included in the 11th Korea Youth Risk Behavior Web-based Survey. Those factors having a direct effect on the subjective happiness of the adolescents were the level of perceived stress, relief from fatigue through sleep, physical exercise, dietary behavior and smoking. Perceived stress had an indirect effect on subjective happiness, and the analysis of the indirect effect and significance level of multiple mediators by means of phantom variables showed that, as well as perceived stress, relief from fatigue through sleep, physical exercise, dietary behaviors, and smoking also had indirect effects on subjective happiness. Consequently, a multidisciplinary approach is needed to optimize the subjective happiness in adolescents and financial support for environmental improvements is particularly necessary.
- S. J. Kim, K. H. Kim, S. H. Ko, S. O. Kim, Y. S, Kim, J. Y. Kim, M. S. Seo, K, R. Lee, M. K. Lee, S. S. Lee. Principles and practice of psychiatric nursing. p.667, Soomoonsa, 2012.
- O. S. Byun. A study on middle school students' perception of their own stressor and coping style, Unpublished master' thesis, Yeungnam University, 2005.
- K. H. Kim, H. Y. Kim, S, K, Kim. Predictive factors of middle school students' runaway experience, Journal of Korean Academy of Community Health Nursing, 18(4), pp.662-672, 2007.
- Y. H. Choi, J. N. Jang. Structural relationship among the life stress, depression, suicidal ideation of adolescents, Journal of Korean Public Health Nursing, 28(2), pp.285-297, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5932/JKPHN.2014.28.2.285 https://doi.org/10.5932/JKPHN.2014.28.2.285
- Y. Yang. Social Inequalities in Happiness in the United States, 1972 to 2004: An Age - Period - Cohort Analysis. American Sociological Review, 73(2), pp.204-226, 2008. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/000312240807300202 https://doi.org/10.1177/000312240807300202
- Y. S. Youm. 2016 Korea Children - Youth happiness international comparative study findings report. Seoul: Yonsei University Social Development Research Institute, Korea Bang Jeong-Hwan Foundation, 2016.
- J. H. Choi, M. Yu, K. E. Kim. Suicidal in adolescents: A structural equation modeling approach. Nursing and Health Sciences. 17(1), pp. 119-125, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/nhs.12142 https://doi.org/10.1111/nhs.12142
- Lyubomirsky, S., Sheldon, K. M., Schkade, D. Pursuing happiness: the architecture of sustainable change. Review of general psychology, 9(2), pp.111-131, 2005. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/1089-26188.8.131.52 https://doi.org/10.1037/1089-26184.108.40.206
- Lyubomirsky, S. The how of happiness: A scientific approach to getting the life you want, New York: The Penguin Press.
- Y. O. Lim, Y, N. Kim, The effects of stress and social support on obesity in junior high school students living in small cities, Korean Journal Community Nutrition, 7(5), pp.705-714, 2002.
- H. Y. Kim, T. Y. Ha, Y. J. Kim. A survey on nutrition attitude and food habit of nationwide middle school students' mothers, Korean Journal Community Nutrition, 28(2), pp.152-161, 1995.
- H. O. Kim, M. S. Jeon, The relationship between smoking, drinking and the mental health in adolescents, Journal of Korean Public Health Nursing, 21(2), pp.217-229, 2007.
- S. H. Park, K. S. Han, C. B. Kang, E. S. Park, Effects of an exercise program on depression symptom, self-esteem and stress in adolescents: A systematic review, Journal of Korean Academic Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing, 22(1), pp.22-33, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.12934/jkpmhn.2013.22.1.22 https://doi.org/10.12934/jkpmhn.2013.22.1.22
- D. H. Ok. This is better than a restorative deep sleep, p32-42, Health Digest Publisher, 2003.
- Zellner, D. A., Loaiza S, Gonzalez, Z. Pita, J., Morales, J., Pecora, D., Wolf, A. Food selection changes ender stress, Physiology & Behavior, 87(4), pp.789-793, 2006. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.physbeh.2006.01.014 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.physbeh.2006.01.014
- W. K. Kim. Predictors of drinking behavior in Korean male and female youth, The Korean Journal of Woman Psychology, 19(3), pp.191-210, 2014. https://doi.org/10.18205/kpa.2014.19.3.001
- J. P. Chu, B. I. Min, S. G. Park. Perceived sources and coping methods of stress in a population of university students in Korea, The Korean journal of stress research, 9(2), pp.41-49, 2001.
- T. H. Kim. A study on the Effect of Family Affluence on Happiness : The analysis of the Mediating effect of Self-rated Health, Journal of the Korea Academic-Industrial cooperation Society, 16(3), pp.1692-1698, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.3.1692 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.3.1692
- Gray, R. S., Chamratrithirong, A., Pattaravanich, U., & Prasartkul, P. Happiness among adolescent students in Thailand: Family and non-family factors, Social Indicators Research, 110(2), pp. 703-719, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11205-011-9954-y https://doi.org/10.1007/s11205-011-9954-y
- Moljord, I. E. O., Eriksen, L., Moksnes, U. K., & Espnes, G. A. Stress and happiness among adolescents with varying frequency of physical activity, Perceptual and motor skills, 113(2), pp. 631-646, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2466/02.06.10.13.PMS.113.5.631-646 https://doi.org/10.2466/02.06.10.13.PMS.113.5.631-646
- Fararouei, M., Brown, I. J., Toori, M. A., Haghighi, R. E., & Jafari, J. Happiness and health behaviour in Iranian adolescent girls, Journal of adolescence, 36(6), pp. 1187-1192, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.adolescence.2013.09.006 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.adolescence.2013.09.006
- H. N. Kim, J. S. Kim, S. H. Roh. Factors influencing subjective happiness among korean adolescents: analysis of 2014 korean youth risk behaviors survey, Journal of the Korea Academic-Industrial cooperation Society, 16(11), pp.7656-7666, 2015. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.11.7656
- B. R. Bae. Amos 21 Analysis of Moment Structure. Chung Ram, 2014.
- M. R. Song, H. Y. Ahn, E. K. Kim. A study on the correlation between stress, mother-adolescent communication and quality of life in the communication, Korean Journal of child Health Nursing, 8(2), pp. 141-151, 2002.
- Y. H. Kim, The relations of daily stress and ego-resilience to the happiness of child and adolescents, Korea Youth Research Association, 17(12), pp.287-307, 2010.
- G. Y. Lee. Factors influencing attempted suicide among adolescents in Korea, Journal of the Korea Academic-Industrial cooperation Society, 16(5), pp.3139-3147, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.5.3139 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.5.3139
- J. O. Yu, J. S. Kim, The effect of sleep duration and relief of fatigue after sleep on the risk of injury at school among Korean adolescents, Journal of Korean Academy of Community Health Nursing, 26(2), pp.100-107, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2015.26.2.100 https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2015.26.2.100
- Mendelson T., Greenberg, M. T., Dariotis, J. K., Gould, L. F., Rhoades, B. L., Leaf P. J. Feasibility and preliminary outcomes of a school-based mindfulness intervention for urban youth, Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology, 38(7), pp.985-994, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10802-010-9418-x https://doi.org/10.1007/s10802-010-9418-x
- C. S. Lee, The effect of the extra-curricular physical activity influencing the psychological well-being of the youth, The Korean Journal of Physical Education, 38(3), pp.260-271, 1999.
- Lein, L., Lien, N., Heyerdahl, S., Thoresen, M., Bjertness, E. Consumption of soft drinks and hyperactivity, mental distress and conduct problems among adolescents in Oslo Norway The American Journal of Public Health, 96(10), pp.1815-1820, 2006. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2004.059477 https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2004.059477
- M. H. Park, S. Y. Yim. Relationships between dietary behaviors, health behaviors and depression among the middle and high school students in korea, Journal of the Korean Analysis Society, 16(5), pp.2683-2694, 2014.
- Y. H. Choi, J. H, Chae. A study on relationship between level of cigarette consumption, eating and mental-psychological state among adolescents : based on 2013 Korea youth risk behavior survey, Journal of the Korea Academic-Industrial cooperation Society, 16(11), pp.7321-7328, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.11.7321 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.11.7321
- Dunn, M. S., Kitts, C., Lewis, S., Goodrow, G., Scherzer, G. D. Effects of youth assets on adolescent alcohol, tabacco, marijuana use, and sexual behavior, Journal of Alcohol & Drug Education, 55(3), pp.23-40, 2011.
- B. Y. Kim, The relevance of the drink and smoking behavior of metropolis teenager and mental health department(with the sex and center of by age), Unpublished master' thesis, Suwon University, 2014.
- M. J. Sung, K. J. Chang. Correlations among life stress, sleep, anthropometric measurement and nutrient intakes of college students, Journal of the Korean Society of Food Science and Nutrition, 36(7), pp.840-848, 2007. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2007.36.7.840 https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2007.36.7.840
- H. T. Kim, M. E. Yun, S. S. Chun, The influence adolescents' cognitive stress on their suicidal intention: focusing on mediating effect of physical activity, problem drinking, cognitive depression, Korean Society for Health Education and Promotion, 31(3), pp.73-81, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.14367/kjhep.2014.31.3.73 https://doi.org/10.14367/kjhep.2014.31.3.73
- Mercer M. E., Holder, M. D. Food cravings, endogenous opioid peptides, and food intake: a review. Appetite, 29(3), pp.325-352, 1997. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1006/appe.1997.0100 https://doi.org/10.1006/appe.1997.0100
- J. H. Hong, S, Y, Kim. Correlation between behavior and stress level in high school students, Journal of the Korean Society of Food Science and Nutrition, 43(3), pp.459-470, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2014.43.3.459 https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2014.43.3.459
- B. J. Lee. A study on the influences of daily stress and coping motives on the adolescent's alcohol-related problems, Korea Academy of Mental Health Social Work, pp.225-243, 2008.
- S. H. Shin. Smoking behavior of the variables related vocational high school studies; Self-esteem, stress, smoking attitudes, Unpublished master' thesis, Ajou University, 2007.
- W. H. Choi, M. S. Je, S. S. Lee. Factor related to smoking behavior among high school students, Journal of Korean Academy of Public Health Nursing, 24(2), pp.226-263, 2010.