- Volume 17 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Factors affecting the Patient Safety Attitude and Safety Control on Safety Care Activities among Nurses in Small and Medium-sized Hospitals
중소병원 간호사의 환자안전태도, 안전통제감이 안전간호활동에 미치는 영향
- Kim, Eun-Jeoung (Department of Nursing, Christian College of Nursing)
- 김은정 (기독간호대학교)
- Received : 2016.06.16
- Accepted : 2016.07.07
- Published : 2016.07.31
This study investigated the factors affecting the safety care activities of 227 nurses in 7 small and medium-sized hospitals in G-city. Data were collected from May 16th to 23rd, 2016, and analyzed using descriptive statistics, the t-test, one-way ANOVA, Pearson's correlation, and multiple regression with SPSS 18. The levels of patient safety attitudes, safety control and safety care activities were 4.11, 3.74 and 4.33 out of 5, respectively. In the analysis of the patient safety attitudes, there were significant differences in education level and job satisfaction. In the analysis of safety control, there were significant differences in age, education level, working experience, position, experience of safety education, experience of safety accidents, and job satisfaction. In the analysis of the safety care activities, significant differences were found in the education level, work department, experience of safety education, and job satisfaction. The patient safety attitudes, safety control, and safety care activities were positively correlated (with each other). The major factor affecting the safety care activities was the patient safety attitude, followed by safety control and experience of safety education. These findings emphasize the need for nurses to change their perception of patient safety attitudes and safety control, in order to reinforce their safety care activities. They also suggest that various safety nursing cases and systematic support should be provided for continuous patient safety education.
- M. R. Kim, "Concept analysis of Patient Safety", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol. 34, No. 1, pp. 1-8, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2011.41.1.1 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2011.41.1.1
- J. H. Lee, S. I. Lee, "Patient safety: The concept and general approach", Journal of Korean Society of Quality Assurance in Health Care, Vol. 15, No. 1, pp. 9-18, 2009.
- H. W. Cho, J. H. Yang, "Relationship between Perceived Patient Safety Culture and Patient Safety Management Activities among Health Personnel", Journal of the Korean Academy Fundamentals of Nursing, Vol. 19 No. 1 pp. 35-45, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2012.19.1.035 https://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2012.19.1.035
- J. Jeong, Y. J. Seo, E. W. Nam, "Factors Affecting Patient Safety Management Activities at Nursing Divisions of Two University Hospitals", Korean journal of hospital management Vol. 11, No. 1, pp. 91-109, 2006.
- Joint Commission Accreditation of Health Organization, "National patient safety goals", Retrieved, 2010 June 15. From: http://www.jointcommission.org/standards_information/npsgs.aspx
- S. J. Park, G. Y. Kang, Y. O. Lee, "A study on Hospital Nurses' Perception of Patient Safety Culture and Safety Care Activity", Journal of the Korean Critical Care Nursing, Vol, 5, No. 1, pp. 44-55, 2012.
- S. G. Kim, "Hospital safety of user and workers awareness", National Evidence based Healthcare Collaborating Agency, 2015. From:http://www.neca.re.kr/center/paper/report_view.jsp?boardNo=GA&seq=163&q=626f6172644e6f3d4741
- P. A. Abbot, "Research in patient Safety/Err or reduction: A Nursing Perspective", Session presented at the Post-conference for 8th International Congress in Nursing Information, Rio De Janeiro, Brazil, 2003.
- F. Milligan, S. Dennis, "Improving Patient Safety and Incident Reporting", Nursing Standard, Vol. 19, No. 7 pp. 33-36, 2004. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.7748/ns2004.10.19.7.33.c3733 https://doi.org/10.7748/ns2004.10.19.7.33.c3733
- W. Nicklin, J. E. MacVeety, "Canadian Nurses' Perceptions of Patient Safety in Hospitals", Canadian Journal of Nursing Leadership, Vol. 15, No. 3, pp. 11-21, 2002. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.12927/cjnl.2002.19154 https://doi.org/10.12927/cjnl.2002.19154
- H. E. Jang, "Impact of Nurses' of Patient Safety Culture and Safety control Patient Safety Management Activities in University Hospital", unpublished master's thesis, Chosun University, Gwangju, 2013.
- Korea Consumer Agency, "Safety-related survey of hospital medical disputes", 2006.
- H. H. Gong, Y. J. Son, "Impact of Nurses' Job satisfaction and Organizational Commitment on Patient safety Management Activities in Tertiary Hospitals", Journal of Korean Academy Fundamentals of Nursing, Vol. 19 No. 4 pp. 453-462, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2012.19.4.453 https://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2012.19.4.453
- H. Y. Kim, H. S Kim, "Effect of Perceived Patient Safety Culture on Safety Nursing Activities in the General Hospital Nurse's", Journal of Korean Academy Administration, Vol. 17, No. 4, pp. 413-422, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2011.17.4.413 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2011.17.4.413
- R. Ramanujam, K. Abrahamson, J. A. Anderson, "Influences on Nursing Perception of Hospital Unit safety Climate", HLM regenstief Center for Healthcare Engineering RCHE Publication Retrieved 10 August 2009. From: http://docs.lib.purdue.edu/rch_rp
- D. C. Ganster, M. R. Fsilier, C. L. Cooper, L. T. Robertson, "Control in the workplace", International Review of Industrial and Organizational Psychology, Vol. 3, pp. 235-280, 1989.
- Y. H. Huang, M. Ho, G. S. Smith, P. Y. Chen, "Safety climate and self-report injury: Assessing the mediation role of employee safety control", Accident Analysis and Prevention, Vol. 38, pp. 425-433, 1999. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.aap.2005.07.002 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aap.2005.07.002
- K. K. Kim, et al., Effects of an Education Program on Prevention of Malpractice using Precedent Cases related to Patient Safety in Safety Perception, Safety Control, Autonomy and Accountability in Clinical Nurses", Journal of Korean Academy Administration, Vol. 18, No. 1, pp. 67-75, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2012.18.1.67 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2012.18.1.67
- W. Y. Je, "Hospital worker's perception of patient safety culture in a university hospital", unpublished master's thesis, Sungkyunkwan University, Seoul, 2007.
- M. Y. Kim, Y. M. Kim, "Comparative studies in Perception of Patient safety culture of nurses and dental hygienist", Journal of the Korea Academia Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 13, No. 11, pp. 5196-5205, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.11.5196 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.11.5196
- E. K. Kim, M. A. Kang, H. J. Kim, "Experience and perception on patient safety culture of employees in hospitals", Journal of Korean Academy Nursing Administration, Vol. 13, No. 3, pp. 321-334, 2007.
- J. H. Choi, K. M. Lee, M. A. Lee, "Relationship between hospital nurses' perceived patient safety culture and their safety care activities", Korean Journal of Fundamentals of Nursing, Vol. 17, No. 1, pp. 64-72, 2010.
- M. H. Nam, "The cognition level on the patient safety and safe nursing activities among hospital nurses in Busan", Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Inje University, Kimhae, 2010.
- S. J. Park, "A study on hospital nurse's perception of patient safety culture and safety care activity", Unpublished master's thesis, Dong-A University, Busan, 2008.
- N. J. Lee, J. Y An, T. M. Song, H. N. Jang, S. Y. Park, "Psychometric evaluation of a patient safety competency self-evaluation tool for nursing students", Journal of Nursing Education, Vol. 53, No. 10, pp 550-562, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3928/01484834-20140922-01 https://doi.org/10.3928/01484834-20140922-01
- L. L Anderson, P. Y. Chen, S. Finlinson, A. D. Krauss, Y. E. Huang, "Roles of safety control and supervisory support work safety", In: Poster session present at the annual meeting of the Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology, Chicago, IL, April, 2004.
- S. K. Chung, "A structural model of safety climate and safety compliance of hospital organization employees", unpublished doctoral dissertation, Yonsei University, Seoul, 2010.
- M. Y. Han, "The Relationships among Organizational Health Patient Safety Culture, and Nursing Activities for Patient Safety perceived by Hospital Nurses", Unpublished master's thesis, Gyeingsang University, Seoul, 2015.
- L. A. Snyder, A. D. Krauss, P. Y. Chen, S. Finlinso, Y. H. Huang, "Occupational safety application of the job demand control-support model", Accident Analysis and Prevention, Vol. 40, No. 5, pp. 1713-1723, 2008. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.aap.2008.06.008 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aap.2008.06.008
- Y. L. Son, "The impact of perceived patient safety culture on safety care activities in general hospital nurse's", Journal of the Korea Academia Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 17, No. 3, pp. 509-517, 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.3.509 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.3.509