- Volume 17 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Relationship between Job Stress and Fatigue Symptoms among Manufacturing Male Workers
제조업 남성 근로자의 직무스트레스와 피로와의 관련성
- Lee, Hu-Yeon (Department of Public Health, Graduate School of Chungnam National University) ;
- Baek, Jong-Tae (Department of Public Health, Graduate School of Chungnam National University) ;
- Cho, Young-Chae (Department of Preventive Medicine and Public Health, Chungnam National University School of Medicine)
- Received : 2016.04.11
- Accepted : 2016.07.07
- Published : 2016.07.31
This study examined the fatigue and its association with job stress among male workers engaged in small-scale manufacturing industries. The study subjects were 553 male workers under 50 members of manufacturing industries. The study survey was a structured questionnaire of the Korean Occupational Stress Scale (KOSS) and Multidimensional Fatigue Scale (MFS) during April, 2015. The data were analyzed using the SPSS ver 21.0 program. The results showed that the high risk fatigue group was significantly higher in the high risk group of job stress than in the normal group of job stress. Fatigue was positively correlated with job stress. The odds ratio of the high risk fatigue group were increased significantly in the high risk group of job stress than in the normal group of job stress. The factors of influence with explanatory powers of 27.7% on fatigue included age, marital status, educational level, subject health status, sleeping time, drinking coffee, job tenure, shift work, visiting out-patient department, sense of satisfaction in job life, and job stress. Fatigue was associated with the sociodemographic characteristics, health behavior related characteristics, job-related characteristics, and job stress.
- J. S. Park, "Study on relationship between sleep disorder, fatigue, job satisfaction and quality of life in police shift-workers", Korean Association of Police Science, Vol.40, pp. 53-70, 2013.
- S. J. Chang, S. B. Koh, D. M. Kang, S. A. Kim, et al. "Developing an Occupational Stress Scale for Korean Employees", Korean J Occup Environ Med, Vol.17, No.4 pp. :297-317, 2005.
- David A, Pelosi A, McDonald E, Stephens D, Ledger D, Rathbone R, Mann A. "Tired, weak or in need of rest: a profile of fatigue among general practice attenders", BMJ, Vol. 301, No.6762 pp. 1199-120, 1990. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bmj.301.6762.1199 https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.301.6762.1199
- S. J. Chang, S. B. Koh, M. G. Kang, S. J. Huyun, et al. "Correlates of self-rated fatigue in Korean employees", J Pre Med Public Health, Vol 38, No.1 pp. 71-81, 2005.
- H. M. Hwang, M. R. Kim, "The relationship of quality of sleep, fatigue and job stress of airlines international flight attendants in full service carriers", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol.16, No.10 pp. 7013-7020, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.10.7013 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.10.7013
- Dimeo FC. "Effects of exercise on cancer-related fatigue. Am Cancer Soc, Vol.92, No.6 pp. 1689-1693, 2001. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(20010915)92:6+<1689::aid-cncr1498>3.0.co;2-h https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(20010915)92:6+<1689::aid-cncr1498>3.0.co;2-h
- Goetzel RZ, Anderson DR, Whitmer RW, Ozminkowski RJ, Dunn RL, Wasserman J. "The relationship between modifiable health risks and health care expenditures: An analysis of the multi-employer HERO health risk and cost database", J Occup Environ Med, Vol.40, No.10 pp. 843-54, 1998. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/00043764-199810000-00003 https://doi.org/10.1097/00043764-199810000-00003
- National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health(NIOSH). Stress at work. Publication No. 99-101, 1999. http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/99-101/default.html
- J. J. Cho, Y. J. Kim, J. S. Byun, "Occupational Stress on Risk Factors for Cardiovascular Diseases and Metabolic Syndrome", Korean J Occup Environ Med, Vol.18, No.3 pp. 209-220, 2006.
- J. H. Bae, H. C. Shin, "A study about influence on hotel cooking employee's job stress with organizational commitment", Korean Journal of Hospitality and Tourism, Vol.18, No.3 pp. 119-131, 2009.
- J. C. Park, H. S. Shin, "The effect of job stress on burnout and organizational commitment", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol.13, No.11 pp.5114-5123, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.11.5114 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.11.5114
- Kawakami N, Takashi H. "Epidemiology of job stress and health in japan: review of current evidence and future direction". Industrial health, Vol.37, No.2 pp. 174-186, 1999. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2486/indhealth.37.174 https://doi.org/10.2486/indhealth.37.174
- Kalimo R, Tenkanen L, Harma M, Poppius E, Heinsalmi P. "Job stress and sleep disorders: findings from the Helsinki Heart Study", Stress and Health, Vol.16, No.2 pp. 65-75, 2000. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/(sici)1099-1700(200003)16:2<65::aid-smi834>3.0.co;2-8 https://doi.org/10.1002/(sici)1099-1700(200003)16:2<65::aid-smi834>3.0.co;2-8
- K. H. Lee, D. M. Kang, J. J. Chung, H. R. Kim, L. A. Kim, J. H. Yoon, S. K. Kim, S. S. Oh, S. J. Chang, B. S. Cha, S. B. Koh, "Job stress and fatigue in autoworker", Korean society of Occupational And Environmental Medicine, pp. 394-395, 2010.
- K. H. Lee, S. B. Koh, D. M. Kang, J. J. Chung, et al. "Job stress and self-perceived fatigue in Korean farmers",. Korean J Occup Environ Med, Vol.23, No.2 pp. 213-224, 2011.
- S. H. Kim, G. S. Yun, "A study on the stress and fatigue of research workers", Korea J Occup Med, Vol.10, No.1 pp. 105-115, 1998.
- W. S. Shin, H. K. Kim, "The impact of fatigue on the hotel cuisine, labor intensity and perceived job stress", Korea Journal of Tourism and Hospitality Research, Vol.26, No.6 pp. 221-239, 2012.
- H. Y. Jun, J/ H. Park, H. B. Yim, "A study of the relationship between job satisfaction and the fatigue of clinical nurses", Bulletin of Dongnam Health College, Vol.18, No.2 pp. 95-107, 2000.
- K. M. Lee, M. S. Hong, "A study on relationships of work stress, fatigue and job satisfaction in emergency room nurses", Chonnam Journal of Nursing Science, Vol.8, No.1 pp. 87-103, 2003. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1742-7924.2010.00162.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1742-7924.2010.00162.x
- M. S. Choi, D. H. Ji, J. W. Kim, "Job stress level and its related factors in fire fighters", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol.13, No.10 pp. 4917-4926, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.10.4917 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.10.4917
- K. S. Lee, D. B. Lee, I. S. Kwon, Y. C. Cho , "Depressive symptoms and their association with sleep quality, occupational stress and fatigue among small-scaled manufacturing male workers", Korean Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, Vol.23, No.2 pp. 99-111, 2011.
- Faul F, Erdfelder E, Lang AG, Buchner Al. "G*power 3: A flexible statistical power analysis program for the social, behavioral, and science", Behavior Research Methods, Vol.32, No.2 pp. 175-191, 2007. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3758/BF03193146 https://doi.org/10.3758/BF03193146
- WHO western pacific region. The Asia-Pacific perspective: redefining obesity and its treatment. p.17, Health Communications Australia Pty Ltd. Sydney, 2000.
- Schwartz J, Jandorf L, Krupp B. The measurement of fatigue: a new instrument. J Psychosom Res, Vol.37, No.7 pp. 753-62, 1993. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0022-3999(93)90104-N https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3999(93)90104-N
- S. J. Chang, Standardization of collection and measurement of health statistics data, p.144-181, The Korean Society for Preventive Medicine, 2000.
- A. K. Kim, "The study of yangsaeng and fatigue in adult men", J Korean Acad Fundam Nurs, Vol.18, No.1 pp. 79-86, 2011.
- S. P. Park, I. S. Kwon, Y. C. Cho, "Job stress and psychosocial factors and its association with self perceived fatigue among white collar male workers", Journal of The Korean Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol.12, No.1 pp. 301-311, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2011.12.1.301 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2011.12.1.301
- S. Y. Kim, I. S. Kwon, Y. C. Cho, " Relationship between job stress and fatigue symptoms among nurses in a university hospital", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol.13, No.4 pp. 1759-1768, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.4.1759 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.4.1759
- Cauch-Dudek K, Abbey S, Stewart DE, Heathcote EJ. "Fatigue in primary biliary cirrhosis" Gut, Vol.43, pp. 705-710, 1998. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/gut.43.5.705 https://doi.org/10.1136/gut.43.5.705
- E. S. Park, E. S. Shin, Y. C. Cho, "Quality of sleep and its associated factors among male workers in small-scale manufacturing industries", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol.15, No.10 pp. 6193-6203, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.10.6193 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.10.6193
- A. S. Park, M. K. Son, Y. C. Cho, "Factors related to psychosocial stress and fatigue symptom among nurses working at ward and operating room in university hospitals", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol.14, No.4 pp. 1781-1791, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.4.1781
- E. J. Lee, S. W. Shin, "The effect of health promotion behavior on fatigue and depression among shift nurses", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol.15, No.4 pp. 2256-2264, 2014. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.4.2256
- K. T. Cha, I. W. Kim, S. B. Koh, S. J. Hyun, et al. "The association of occupational stress with self-perceived fatigue in white collar employees", Korean Journal of Occupational And Environmental Medicine, Vol.20, No.3 pp. 82-192, 2008.
- J. W. Kang, Y. S. Hong, H. J. Lee, B. J. Yeah, et al. "Factors affecting fatigue and stress in male manufacturing workers", Korean J Occup Environ Med, Vol.17, No.2 pp. 129-137, 2005.
- S. D. Kim, "Relationships of job stress, fatigue & depression among one ship-building supply workers", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, Vol.15, No.4 pp. 2789-2796, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.5.2789 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.5.2789
- K. S. Kim, J. Park, B. Y. Park, S. G. Kim, E. Y. Hwang, "The effects of job stress with depression and fatigue of firemen", Journal of The Korea Contents Association, Vol.14, No.3 pp. 223-231, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2014.14.03.223 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2014.14.03.223
- E. S. Shin, "Convergence Relationship between Occupational Stress and Fatigue Symptoms among Blue Collar Workers in Manufacturing Plants" Journal of the Korea Convergence Society Vol.7, No.1 pp. 57-68, 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2016.7.1.057 https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2016.7.1.057