- Volume 17 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Numerical Analysis on Shock Waves Influence Generated by Supersonic Jet Flow According to Working Fluids
작동유체에 따른 초음속 제트유동에 의해 생성되는 충격파 영향에 관한 수치해석
- Jung, Jong-Kil (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Graduate School, Gachon Univ.) ;
- Yoon, Jun-Kyu (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Gachon Univ.) ;
- Lim, Jong-Han (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Gachon Univ.)
- Received : 2016.04.28
- Accepted : 2016.07.07
- Published : 2016.07.31
Supersonic jet technology using high pressures has been popularly utilized in diverse industrial and engineering areas related to working fluids. In this study, to consider the effects of a shock wave caused by supersonic jet flow from a high pressure pipe, the SST turbulent flow model provided in the ANSYS FLUENT v.16 was applied and the flow characteristics of the pressure ratio and Mach number were analyzed in accordance with the working fluids (air, oxygen, and hydrogen). Before carrying out CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics) analysis, it was presumed that the inlet gas temperature was 300 K and pressure ratio was 5 : 1 as the boundary conditions. The density function was derived from the ideal gas law and the viscosity function was derived from Sutherland viscosity law. The pressure ratio along the ejection distance decreased more in the lower density working fluids. In the case of the higher density working fluids, however, the Mach number was lower. This shows that the density of the working fluids has a considerable effect on the shock wave. Therefore, the reliability of the analysis results were improved by experiments and CFD analysis showed that supersonic jet flow affects the shock wave by changing shape and diameter of the jet, pressure ratio, etc. according to working fluids.
- F. P. Bowden and J. H. Brunton,"Damage to solids by liquid impact at supersonic speeds", Nature, Vol. 181, No. 4613, pp. 873-875, 1958. https://doi.org/10.1038/181873a0
- S. M. Jeong and S. M. Jang,"A design and development of multi air gun for suction and shooting a jet of compressed air", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, Vol. 13, No. 11, pp. 4944-4949, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.11.4944 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.11.4944
- S. J. Kang, S. W. Seo and K. S. Lee,"Effect of moving plate on flow and thermal characteristics of dryer with jet impingement", Proceedings of the Korean Society of Mechanical Engineers, pp. 112-115, 2011.
- D. W. Yu, S. M. Choi and S. H. Oh,"Experimental study of the thrust vectoring characteristics in a two-dimensional convergent- divergent nozzle", Journal of the Korean Society of Propulsion Engineers, Vol. 17, No. 2, pp. 84-93, 2013. https://doi.org/10.6108/KSPE.2013.17.2.084
- J. O. Park, G. W. Kim and H. D. Kim,"An Experimental study on micro shock tube flow", Journal of the Korean Society of Propulsion Engineers, Vol. 16, No. 5, pp. 74-80, 2012. https://doi.org/10.6108/KSPE.2012.16.5.074
- J. O. Park, G. W. Kim and H. D. Kim,"Experimental study of the shock wave dynamics in micro shock tube", Journal of the Korean Society of Propulsion Engineers, Vol. 16, No. 5, pp. 54-59, 2013.
- J. H. Lee, J. H. Choi, H. G. Yoon and K. H. Kim,"The consideration about pressure on surface of cone shape in experiments of supersonic wind tunnel I", KSPE Spring Conference, pp. 391-394, 2011.
- S. G. Hong, Y. J. Jung, K. W. Park, M. H. Jeong, K. H. Lim, H. M. Suh and B. H. Shon,"A study on the optimization design of pulse air jet system to improve bag-filter performance", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 13, No. 8, pp. 3792-3799, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.8.3792 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.8.3792
- H. K. Kwon, K. J. Tak, J. H. Kim, M. Oh, J. S. Chae, H. S. Kim and I. Moon,"Maximum pressure and the blast wave analysis of a amonunt of HMX", Korean Chem. Eng. Res., Vol. 52, No. 6, pp. 706-712, December, 2014. https://doi.org/10.9713/kcer.2014.52.6.706
- K. Mohamed, M. Paraschivoiu,"Real gas numerical simulation of hydrogen flow", International Energy Conversion Engineering Conference Technical Papers, pp. 727-740, 2004.
- P. R. Spalart and S. R. Allmaras,"A One-equation turbulence model for aerodynamic flows", Recherche Aerospatiale, Vol. 1, pp. 5-21, 1994.
- V. Yakhot, S. Thangam, T. B. Gatski, S. A. Orszag, C. G. Speziale,"Development of turbulence models for shear flows by a double expansion technique", Physics of Fluids, Vol. 4, No. 7, pp. 1510-1520, 1922. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.858424
- F. R. Menter,"Two-equation eddy-viscosity turbulence models for engineering applications", AIAA, Vol. 32, No. 8, pp. 1598-1605, 1994. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.12149
- H. D. Kam, and J. S. Kim,"Assessment and validation of turbulence models for the optimal computation of supersonic nozzle flow", The Korean Society of Propulsion Engineers, Vol. 17, No. 1, pp. 18-25, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.6108/KSPE.2013.17.1.018 https://doi.org/10.6108/KSPE.2013.17.1.018
- ANSYS FLUENT Theory Guide 16.1 ANSYS Inc., 2016
- J. D. Anderson"fundamentals of aerodynamics", Fifth edition, Mcgraw hill, pp. 515-543, 2011.