- Volume 17 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Children's Problem Behaviors on Early Childhood Teachers' Coping Strategies
유아의 문제행동 유형이 교사의 대처전략에 미치는 영향
- Kim, Joeng Kyoum (Dept. of Education, Chung-Nam National University) ;
- Kang, Young-Sik (Dept. of Early Childhood Education, Chung-Nam National University)
- Received : 2016.05.24
- Accepted : 2016.07.07
- Published : 2016.07.31
This study is intended to look into the effects of children's problem behaviors on the coping strategies of teachers involved in early childhood education (ECE). To achieve this, a survey was administered to 90 teachers involved in ECE at kindergartens and child care centers in Daejeon Metropolitan City. The findings showed that these teachers have a professionalism and suitability for their career and excellent ability to cope with the problems of children in this age group. The results showed that competent teachers had less tendency to put children in the corner or give physical punishment to them than incompetent teachers. Competent teachers didn't use coping strategies involving scolding or saying no with a somewhat loud voice, but rather pointed to each word accurately or helped the children express their feelings and understand their situation. However, their coping strategies may not always be suitable in all situations. When necessary, saying no accurately with an accompanying warning is also important. Consequently, career and professional knowledge are important for teachers involved in ECE, and it would be useful to collate the diverse strategies that they use.
- Ross, A. S."Effect of increased responsibility on bystander intervention: The presence of children.", Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, vol.19, no. 3, pp. 306, Feb. 1971. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/h0031459 https://doi.org/10.1037/h0031459
- Achenbach, T. M. & Edelbrock, C. S."Manual for the child behavior checklist and revised behavior profile.", Burlington: University of Vermont Department of Psychiatry, pp. 12-14, 1983.
- Campbell, J. L. & Pedersen, O. K."The rise of Neoliberalism and institutional analysis.", Princet on, NJ: Princeton University Press, pp. 18-23, 2001.
- H. M. Im,"Aspects of Children's Problem Behavior and Language Interaction between Young Children and their Kindergarten Classroom Teacher", MS Thesis Chung-Ang University, pp. 45-76, 2003.
- Denham, S. A. & Burton, R."A social-emotional intervention for at-risk 4-year olds.", Journal of School Psychology, vol. 34, pp. 225-245, 1996. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0022-4405(96)00013-1 https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-4405(96)00013-1
- Denham S. A. Zoller, D. & Couchoud E. A. "Socialization of preschoolers emotion understanding." Developmental Psychology, vol. 30, pp. 92 8-936, 1994. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037//0012-16220.127.116.118 https://doi.org/10.1037/0012-1618.104.22.1688
- S. H. Nam, Y .H, Kim, "Mother's Psychological Factors and Young Children's Internalizing Externalizing Malbehaviors Abstract", Family and Environment Research, vol. 152, pp. 199-213, 2000.
- Halberstadt, A. G. "Family socialization of emotional expression and nonverbal communication styles and skills.", Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, vol. 51, no. 4, pp. 827-836, 1986. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0022-3522.214.171.1247 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35126.96.36.1997
- H. J. Kim, "The effects on creative thinking and creative personality of creativity.personality educational program applying creative problem solving based on movie for pre-kindergarten teacher", Asia-pacific Journal of Multimedia Services Convergent with Art, Humanities, and Sociology, vol. 5, no. 6, pp. 399-409, Dec. 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.14257/AJMAHS.2015.12.11. https://doi.org/10.14257/AJMAHS.2015.12.11
- H. Y Huang, M. J. Le, "A study on the parenting stress factors and the copying strategies of marriage immigrant women raising middle and high school student", Asia-pacific Journal of Multimedia Services Convergent with Art, Humanities, and Sociology, vol. 5, no. 4, pp.415-425, Aug. 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.14257/AJMAHS.2015.08.47 https://doi.org/10.14257/AJMAHS.2015.08.47
- A. R. Ha, "The Effects of Young Children's Pet-Raising on Life Esteem Improvement and Social Intimacy", Asia-pacific Journal of Multimedia Services Convergent with Art, Humanities, and Sociology, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 119-131, Feb. 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.14257/AJMAHS.2016.05 https://doi.org/10.14257/AJMAHS.2016.05