- Volume 17 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Effect of joint mobilization on improvement of knee pain, isokinetic strength, muscle tone, muscle stiffness in an elite volleyball player with knee injury
무릎손상 엘리트 배구선수에 관절가동운동이 무릎통증, 등속성 근력, 근긴장도, 근경직 개선에 미치는 효과
- Wang, Joong-San (Department of Physical Therapy, Howon University) ;
- An, Ho-Jung (Department of Physical Therapy, Dongnam Health University) ;
- Kim, Yong-Youn (Department of Physical Therapy, Dongnam Health University)
- Received : 2016.04.25
- Accepted : 2016.07.07
- Published : 2016.07.31
This case study identified the effects of joint mobilization on knee pain, isokinetic strength, muscle tone, and muscle stiffness in an elite volleyball player with a knee injury. The subject had experienced cartilage defects of the left knee joint and underwent surgery to correct the condition. The patient complained of continuous pain in the left knee joint in daily life in addition to pain during exercise. The study was conducted from August 5 to 12, 2015 and joint mobilization was applied to the left knee joint for 15 minutes once a day for 8 days. Knee pain was measured using a visual analogue scale, and the concentric peak torque of the quadriceps and hamstring muscles was measured using an isokinetic muscular strength measurement device. The muscle tone and stiffness of the rectus femoris muscle, vastus medialis, and vastus lateralis on the injured side were measured using a myotonometer. All the measurements were conducted before and after the intervention. Joint mobilization was effective in reducing knee pain on the injured side, increasing the concentric peak torque of the quadriceps and hamstring muscles on both sides, and increasing the muscle stiffness of the quadriceps muscle on the injured side. Concentric peak torque of the quadriceps muscle on the injured side increased a great deal as the number of joint mobilizations was increased, largely diminishing the difference in concentric peak torque between the normal side and injured side. On the other hand, joint mobilization was ineffective in improving the hamstring to quadriceps strength ratio on the injured side. While this study suggests that joint mobilization can be an effective intervention to improve the knee pain, isokinetic strength, and muscle stiffness of elite volleyball players, it should be performed alongside training for an appropriate strength ratio.
- D. A. Neumann, Kinesiology of the Musculoskeletal System: Foundations for rehabilitation(2th ed). pp.520-572, St Louis, Mosby, 2010.
- M. Henriksen, S. Rosager, J. Aaboe, T. Graven-Nielsen, H. Bliddal, "Experimental Knee Pain Reduces Muscle Strength", J Pain, Vol. 12, No. 4, pp. 460-467, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jpain.2010.10.004 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpain.2010.10.004
- J. M. Sheppard, J. B. Cronin, T. J. Gabbett, M. R. McGuigan, N. Etxebarria, et al., "Relative importance of Strength, Power, and Anthropometric Measures to Jump Performance of Elite Volleyball Players", J Strength Cond Res, Vol. 22, No. 3, pp. 758-765, 2008. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1519/JSC.0b013e31816a8440 https://doi.org/10.1519/JSC.0b013e31816a8440
- D. Kim, J. G. Hong, "Hamstring to Quadriceps Strength Ratio and Noncontact Leg Injuries: a prospective study during one season", Isokinetics Exercise Sci, Vol. 19, No. 1, pp. 1-6, 2011.
- E. Dervisevic, V. Hadzic, "Quadriceps and Hamstrings Strength in Team Sports: Basketball, Football and Volleyball", Isokinetics Exercise Sci, Vol. 20, No. 4, pp. 293-300, 2012.
- A. Ferretti, P. Papandrea, F. "Conteduca. Knee injuries in Volleyball", Sports Med, Vol. 10, No. 2, pp. 132-138, 1990. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2165/00007256-199010020-00006 https://doi.org/10.2165/00007256-199010020-00006
- O. B. Lian, L. Engebretsen, R. Bahr, "Prevalence of Jumper's Knee Among Elite Athletes From Different Sports: A Cross-sectional Study", Am J Sports Med, Vol. 33, No. 4, pp. 561-567, 2005. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0363546504270454 https://doi.org/10.1177/0363546504270454
- R. J. Butler, H. P. Crowell, I. M. Davis, "Lower Extremity Stiffness: Implications for Performance and Injury", Clin Biomech, Vol. 8, No. 6, pp. 511-517, 2003. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0268-0033(03)00071-8 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0268-0033(03)00071-8
- E. Hengenveld, K. Banks, Maitland's Peripheral Manipulation: Management of Neuromusculoskeletal Disorders Volume Two. 5th ed. p.450-511, Churchill livingstone: elsevier, 2014.
- P. Moss, K. Sluka, A. Wright, "The Initial Effects of Knee Joint Mobilization on Osteoarthritic Hyperalgesia", Man Ther, Vol. 12, No. 2, pp. 109-118, 2007. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.math.2006.02.009 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.math.2006.02.009
- H. K. Yeo, A. Wright, "Hypoalgesic Effect of a Passive Accessory Mobilisation Technique in Patients with Lateral Ankle Pain", Man Ther, Vol. 16, No. 4, pp. 373-377, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.math.2011.01.001 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.math.2011.01.001
- P. E. Bijur, W. Silver, J. Gallagher, "Reliability of the Visual Analogue Scale for Measurement of Acute pain", Acad Emerg Med, Vol. 8, No. 12, pp. 1153-1157, 2001. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1553-2712.2001.tb01132.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1553-2712.2001.tb01132.x
- D. Wang, G. De Vito, M. Ditroilo, D. T. Fong, E. Delahunt, "A Comparison of Muscle Stiffness and Musculoarticular Stiffness of the Knee Joint in Young Athletic Males and Females", J Electromyogr Kinesiol, Vol. 25, No. 3, pp. 495-500, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jelekin.2015.03.003 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jelekin.2015.03.003
- LD, Duffell, H. Dharni, P. H. Strutton, A. H. McGregor, "Electromyographic Activity of the Quadriceps Components during the Final Degrees of Knee Extension", J Back Musculoskelet Rehabil, Vol. 24, No. 4, pp. 215-23.2011. https://doi.org/10.3233/BMR-2011-0298
- G. M. Um, J. S. Wang, S. E. Park, "An analysis on Muscle Tone of Lower Limb Muscles on Flexible Flat Foot", J Phys Ther Sci, Vol. 27, No. 10, pp. 3089-3092, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1589/jpts.27.3089 https://doi.org/10.1589/jpts.27.3089
- J. S. Wang, S. B. Lee, S. H Moon, "The Immediate Effect of PNF Pattern on Muscle Tone and Muscle Stiffness in Chronic Stroke Patient", J Phys Ther Sci, Vol. 28, No. 3, pp. 967-970, 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1589/jpts.28.967 https://doi.org/10.1589/jpts.28.967
- L. Aird, D. Samuel, M. Stokes, "Quadriceps Muscle Tone, Elasticity and Stiffness in Older Males: Reliability and Symmetry using the MyotonPRO", Arch Gerontol Geriatr, Vol. 55, No. 2, pp. e31-e39, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.archger.2012.03.005 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.archger.2012.03.005
- L. M. Teixeira, T. Pires, R. D. Silva, M. A. de Resende, "Immediate Effect of a Single Anteroposterior Talus Mobilization on Dorsiflexion Range of Motion in Participants with Orthopedic Dysfunction of the Ankle and Foot", J Manipulative Physiol Ther, Vol. 36, No. 3, pp. 369-375, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jmpt.2013.06.003 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmpt.2013.06.003
- V. Hadzic, T. Sattler, G. Markovic, M. Veselko, E. "Dervisevic, The Isokinetic Strength Profile of Quadriceps and Hamstrings in Elite Volleyball Players", Isokinetics and Exercise Science Vol. 18, No. 1, pp. 31-37, 2010.
- B. BamaC, T. Colak, A. Ozbek A, S. Colak, Y Cinel, O. Yenigun, "Isokinetic Performance in Elite Volleyball and Basketball Players", Kinesiology, Vol. 40, No. 2, pp. 182-188, 2008.
- M. J. Jansen, W. Viechtbauer, A. F. Lenssen, "Strength Training Alone, Exercise Therapy Alone, and Exercise Therapy with Passive Manual Mobilisation each reduce Pain and Disability in People with Knee Osteoarthritis: A Systematic Review", J Physiother, Vol. 57, No. 1, pp. 11-20, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S1836-9553(11)70002-9 https://doi.org/10.1016/S1836-9553(11)70002-9
- I. L. Hwang, H. K. Lee, B. S. Heo, Y. J. Kim, "The Effect of the Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome on emg Activity during Step up Exercise", Journal of Fishries and Marine Sciences Education, Vol. 27, No. 1, pp. 63-73. 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.13000/JFMSE.2015.27.1.63 https://doi.org/10.13000/JFMSE.2015.27.1.63
- J. H. Jang, S. W. Han, "Effect of Muscle Activity of Quadriceps on Rehabilitation Exrecise in Patients with Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome", Journal of Coaching Development, Vol. 13, No. 3, pp. 97-104, 2011.
- H. Y. Cho, S. H. Lee, T. S. In, S. H. Kang, D. Y. Lee, et al., "Effectiveness of Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation(TENS) on the Changes of Postural Balance and Muscle Contraction following Muscle Fatigue", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 11, No. 11, pp. 4418-4426, 2010. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2010.11.11.4418
- K. J. Kim, C. Lee, B. O. Jung, H.S. Bang, "The Study was to Investigate the Spontaneous therapy, TENS and Ice therapy of Biceps brachii after Induction of DOMS", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 10, No. 12, pp. 3902-3909, 2009. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2009.10.12.3902
- H. G. Kim, W. S. Shin, "Changes in Postural Sway according to the Method of Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 14, No. 3, pp. 1207-1212, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.3.1207 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.3.1207
- H. L. Ro, "Effects of Taping Therapy and Passive Range of Motion Exercises on Shoulder joint, Hand dexterity in Elderly", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 11, No. 7, pp. 2468-2474, 2010. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2010.11.7.2468
- M. C. Park, E. Y. Kim, M. S. Ha, "Effects of Taping Therapy by Methods on Back Pain and Muscle Flexibility of Bus Drivers's", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 11, No. 11, pp. 4367-4373, 2010. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2010.11.11.4367
- J. N. Lee, C. G. Lim, "Effects of Scapular Taping on Muscle Activity, Pain, Range of Motion and Proprioception in Subacute Stroke Patients", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 11, No. 11, pp. 4367-4373, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.11.5689 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2010.11.11.4367
- M. Kale, A. Asci, C. Bayrak, C. Acikada, "Relationships among Jumping Performances and Sprint Parameters during Maximum Speed phase in Sprinters", Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, Vol. 23, No. 8, pp. 2272-2279, 2009. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1519/JSC.0b013e3181b3e182 https://doi.org/10.1519/JSC.0b013e3181b3e182