- Volume 17 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Rooibos Extract Effect on the Seborrheic Scalp Improvement of Middle-Aged Men
루이보스 추출물이 중년 남성의 지루성 두피 개선에 미치는 효과
- Lee, Jong-Youl (Department of Bioengineering, Konkuk University) ;
- Lee, Song-Jeong (Department of Bioengineering, Konkuk University) ;
- You, Seon-Hee (Department of Bioengineering, Konkuk University)
- Received : 2016.04.22
- Accepted : 2016.07.07
- Published : 2016.07.31
This study conducted a 4-week clinical trial on 30 males suffering from seborrheic dermatitis and hair loss symptoms to examine the effects of rooibos extract on the seborrheic dermatitis improvement of 30-50 year old middle aged males. The comparison group used shampoo with no rooibos extract while experiment group 1 used shampoo including rooibos extracts, and experiment group 2 used shampoo and scalp enhancer including the rooibos extracts. The results showed that there were no meaningful changes on the scalps of the comparison group while experiment group 2, which used both shampoo and scalp enhancer including rooibos, showed better improvement on seborrheic dermatitis than experiment group 1 which only used shampoo including rooibos. These results imply that shampoo and scalp enhancer including rooibos extracts effectively improve the oil-moisture balance on seborrheic dermatitis and effectively deals with scalp itchiness redness and the color tone of the scalp, suggesting its use in scalp cosmetics that include antioxidation activation elements, which are effective in improving seborrheic dermatitis.
- J. M. Lee, "effect of the seborrheic scalp enhancer on changes in the sebum and moisture of the scalp", konkuk university master's thesis, 2013.
- D. J. Min, N. H. Park, J. S. Hwang, S. H. Moon, K. H. Lee, J. H. Lee, S. M. Ahn, H. K. Kim, "Low-temperature Rendering Technology Applied to Extract Black Beans, Peony and Green Tea for Scalp Repair", J. Soc. Cosmet. Scientists Korea, 35(1), pp. 41-46, 2009.
- T. A. Chen, P. B. Hill, "The biology of Malassezia organisms and their ability to induce immune re-sponses and skin disease", Vet Dermatoiogy, 16(1), pp. 4-26, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-3164.2005.00424.x
- S. C. Kim. "Mechanism of action and side effects of topical retinoids", Korean Journal of Dermatology, 60(1), pp. 49-98, 2008.
- T. Y. Kim, "Effecting of the scalp care on hair loss by using sea cucumber scalp enhancer with sea cucumber extract", konkuk university master's thesis, 2015.
- C. H. Jo, "The Improving Effect of Centella asiatica Extracts on Erythema on Scalp of Aged 20-50's Women", konkuk university master's thesis, 2015.
- Y. O. Seo, "Study on functional component of Camellia japonica extract and promotive effect for the scalp", Nambu University doctorate thesis, 2010.
- J. H. Oh, "Effects of Perillafrutescens and Houttuyniae Herba Extract on the Scalp Improvement", konkuk university master's thesis, 2016.
- M. G. L. Hertog, P. C. H. Hollman, M. B. Katan, D. Kromhout, "Flavonoiden: 23 milligram potentiele anticarcinogenen in onze dagelijkse voeding", Voeding, 54(4), pp. 29-30, 1993,
- H. J. Yang, S. N. Park, "Component analysis and study on anti-elastase activity of Equisetum arense(II)", J. Soc. Cosmet. Scientists Korea, 33(3), pp. 139, 2007.
- L. Bramati, F. Aquilano, P. Pietta. "Unfermented rooibos tea: quantitative characterization of flavonoids by HPLC-UV and determination of the total antioxidant activity", J. Agric, Food Chem, 51(25), pp. 7472-7474, 2003. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/jf0347721 https://doi.org/10.1021/jf0347721
- L. Bramati, M. Minoggio, C. Gardans, P. Simonetti, P. Mauri, P. Pietta. "Quantitative characterization of flavonoid compounds in rooibos tea (Aspalathus linearis) by LC-UV/DAD", J. Agric. Food Chem, 50(20), pp. 5513, 2002. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/jf025697h https://doi.org/10.1021/jf025697h
- E. Joubert. "HPLC quantification of the dihydrochalcones, aspalathin and nothofagin in rooibos tea (Aspalathus linearis) as affected by processing", Food Chemistry, 55(4), pp. 403, 1996. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0308-8146(95)00166-2 https://doi.org/10.1016/0308-8146(95)00166-2
- J. D. van der Merwe, D. de Beer, E. Joubert, W. C. Gelderblom, "Short-Term and Sub-Chronic Dietary Exposure to Aspalathin-Enriched Green Rooibos (Aspalathus linearis) Extract Affects Rat Liver Function and Antioxidant Status", Molecules, 20(12), pp. 22674-22690, 2015. https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules201219868
- M. Jones, L. C. Hoffman, M. Muller, "Effect of rooibos extract (Aspalathus linearis) on lipid oxidation over time and the sensory analysis of blesbok (Damaliscus pygargus phillipsi) and springbok (Antidorcas marsupialis) droewors", Meat Sci, 103, pp. 54-60, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2014.12.012
- H. J. Park, K. C. Park, K. S. Yoon, "Effect of rooibos (Aspalathus linearis) on growth control of Clostridium perfringens and lipid oxidation of ready-to-eat Jokbal (pig's trotters)", J Food Sci, 79(12), pp. 2507-2515, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/1750-3841.12701 https://doi.org/10.1111/1750-3841.12701
- H. C. Ha, H. S. Kim, B. H. Ryu, "Antioxidative Effects of ethanol Extract Obtained from Rooibos Tea(Aspalathus linearis) and it's Application of Food", Korean J. Food & Nutr, 13(1), pp. 13-20, 2000.
- H. C. Choi, "Study for the antibacterial and whitening effects of the Rosa moschut, Aspalathus linearis, chlorella extracts", chonnam national university master's thesis, 2013.
- P. Chuarienthong, N. Lourith, P. Leelapornpisid, "Clinical efficacy comparison of anti-wrinkle cosmetics containing herbal flavonoids, Int J Cosmet Sci, 32(2), pp. 99-106, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1468-2494.2010.00522.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1468-2494.2010.00522.x
- A. B. Ackerman, A. M. Kligman. "Some observations on dandruff", J Soc Cosmet Chem. 20, pp. 81-101. 1969.