- Volume 17 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Asymmetric Index Management Scheme for High-capacity Compressed Databases
대용량 압축 데이터베이스를 위한 비대칭 색인 관리 기법
- Byun, Si-Woo (Division of Digital Media, Anyang University) ;
- Jang, Seok-Woo (Division of Digital Media, Anyang University)
- Received : 2016.04.19
- Accepted : 2016.07.07
- Published : 2016.07.31
Traditional databases exploit a record-based model, where the attributes of a record are placed contiguously in a slow hard disk to achieve high performance. On the other hand, for read-intensive data analysis systems, the column-based compressed database has become a proper model because of its superior read performance. Currently, flash memory SSD is largely recognized as the preferred storage media for high-speed analysis systems. This paper introduces a compressed column-storage model and proposes a new index and its data management scheme for a high-capacity data warehouse system. The proposed index management scheme is based on the asymmetric index duplication and achieves superior search performance using the master index and compact index, particularly for large read-mostly databases. In addition, the data management scheme contributes to the read performance and high reliability by compressing the related columns and replicating them in two mirrored SSD. Based on the results of the performance evaluation under the high workload conditions, the data management scheme outperforms the traditional scheme in terms of the search throughput and response time.
Grant : 기본연구지원
Supported by : 안양대학교
- D. Abadi, P. Boncz, P. Alto, "Column-oriented Database Systems," Proc. of the VLDB, Lyon, France , August pp. 24-28, 2009. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.14778/1687553.1687625 https://doi.org/10.14778/1687553.1687625
- S. Ahn, K. Kim. "A Join Technique to Improve the Performance of Star Schema Queries in Column-Oriented Databases", Journal of Korean Institute of Information Scientist and Engineers, Vol. 40, No.3, pp. 209-218, 2013.6.
- Y.Chang, J. Hsieh, and T. Kuo, "Endurance Enhancement of Flash-Memory Storage System: An Efficient Static Wear Leveling Design," Proc. of the 44th conference on Design automation, San Diego, USA, pp. 212-217, 2012
- S. Byun. "Search Performance Improvement of Column-oriented Storages using Compression Index", Journal of Korea Academia-Industrial, Vol. 14, No.1, pp. 393-401, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.1.393 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.1.393
- L. Hongjun, N. Yuet Yeung, and T. Zengping, "T-Tree or B-Tree: Main Memory Database Index Structure Revisited", Proc. of 11th Australasian Database Conference, 2000
- R. Elmasri and S. Navathe, Fundamentals of Database System, Addison-Wesley, 2010.
- Y. Li, B. He, R. J. Yang, Q. Luo, and K. Yi, "Tree indexing on solid state drives," Proc. of the VLDB, vol. 3, no. 1-2, 2010, pp. 1195-1206. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.14778/1920841.1920990 https://doi.org/10.14778/1920841.1920990
- M. Yoo, B. Kim. and D. Lee "Hybrid Hash Index for NAND Flash Memory-based Storage Systems", Journal of Korean Information Science, Vol. 38, No.2, pp. 120-128, 2012.4. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1145/2184751.2184819 https://doi.org/10.1145/2184751.2184819
- C. H. Wu, L. P. Chang, and T. W. Kuo, "An efficient B-tree layer for flash-memory storage systems," Proc. of 9th RTCSA, Tainan City, Taiwan, 2003, pp. 409-430.
- M. Oberhumer, LZO" Available From: http://www.oberhumer.com/opensource//lzodoc.php(accessed Feb., 10, 2015)
- Mesquite, User's Guide CSIM20 Simulation Engine (C++ Version), Available From: http://www.mesquite.com//documents/CSIM20_User_Guide-C++.pdf, (accessed Feb., 10, 2015)