- Volume 17 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Components Clustering for Modular Product Design Using Network Flow Model
네트워크 흐름 모델을 활용한 모듈러 제품 설계를 위한 컴포넌트 군집화
- Son, Jiyang (Department of Business Administration, Dong-A University) ;
- Yoo, Jaewook (Department of Business Administration, Dong-A University)
- Received : 2016.05.10
- Accepted : 2016.07.07
- Published : 2016.07.31
Modular product design has contributed to flexible product modification and development, production lead time reduction, and increasing product diversity. Modular product design aims to develop a product architecture that is composed of detachable modules. These modules are constructed by maximizing the similarity of components based on physical and functional interaction analysis among components. Accordingly, a systematic procedure for clustering the components, which is a main activity in modular product design, is proposed in this paper. The first phase in this procedure is to build a component-to-component correlation matrix by analyzing physical and functional interaction relations among the components. In the second phase, network flow modeling is applied to find clusters of components, maximizing their correlations. In the last phase, a network flow model formulated with linear programming is solved to find the clusters and to make them modular. Finally, the proposed procedure in this research and its application are illustrated with an example of modularization for a vacuum cleaner.
Supported by : 동아대학교
- ElMaraghy, H., Schuh, G., ElMaraghy, W., Piller, F., Schonsleben, P., Tseng, M., & Bernard, A. (2013). Product variety management. CIRP Annals-Manufacturing Technology, vol. 62, no. 2, pp. 629-652. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cirp.2013.05.007 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cirp.2013.05.007
- Kidd, Paul T., "Agile manufacturing: a strategy for the 21st century", Agile Manufacturing (Digest No. 1995/179), IEE Colloquium on. IET, 1995. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1049/ic:19951097 https://doi.org/10.1049/ic:19951097
- Jiao, J., &Tseng, M. M., "Understanding product family for mass customization by developing commonality indices," Journal of Engineering Design, vol. 11, no. 3, pp.225-243, 2000. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/095448200750021003 https://doi.org/10.1080/095448200750021003
- Gu, P., Hashemian, M., Sosale, S., & Rivin, E., An integrated modular design methodology for life-cycle engineering. CIRP Annals-Manufacturing Technology, vol. 46, no. 1, pp. 71-74, 1997. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0007-8506(07)60778-1 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0007-8506(07)60778-1
- Gu, P., &Sosale, S., "Product modularization for life cycle engineering," Robotics and Computer-Integrated Manufacturing, vol. 15, no. 5, pp.387-401, 1999. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0736-5845(99)00049-6 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0736-5845(99)00049-6
- Kreng, V. B., &Lee, T., "Modular product design with grouping genetic algorithm-a case study," Computers &Industrial Engineering, vol. 46, no. 3, pp. 443-460, 2004. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cie.2004.01.007 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cie.2004.01.007
- Eppinger, S.D. &Ulrich, K.T., Product design and development, McGraw Hill New York, 1995.
- Ulrich, K., Fundamentals of product modularity. p. 219-231, Springer, 1994. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-94-011-1390-8_12 https://doi.org/10.1007/978-94-011-1390-8_12
- Huang, C., "Overview of modular product development," Proceedings-National Science Council Republic of China Part a Physical Science and Engineering, vol. 24, no. 3, pp.149-165, 2000.
- Jose, A., &Tollenaere, M., "Modular and platform methods for product family design: Literature analysis," Journal of Intelligent Manufacturing, vol. 16, no. 3, pp.371-390, 2005. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10845-005-7030-7 https://doi.org/10.1007/s10845-005-7030-7
- Pimmler, T. U., &Eppinger, S. D., "Integration analysis of product decompositions," 1994.
- Sa'ed, M. S., &Kamrani, A. K., "Macro level product development using design for modularity," Robotics and Computer-Integrated Manufacturing, vol. 15, no. 4, pp.319-329, 1999. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0736-5845(99)00008-3 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0736-5845(99)00008-3
- Yu, T. L., Yassine, A. A., & Goldberg, D. E., "An information theoretic method for developing modular architectures using genetic algorithms," Research in Engineering Design, vol. 18, no. 2, pp.91-109, 2007. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00163-007-0030-1 https://doi.org/10.1007/s00163-007-0030-1
- Yu, S., Yang, Q., Tao, J., Tian, X., & Yin, F. "Product modular design incorporating life cycle issues-Group Genetic Algorithm (GGA) based method," Journal of Cleaner Production, vol. 19, no. 9, pp. 1016-1032, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2011.02.006 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2011.02.006
- Stone, R. B., Wood, K. L., & Crawford, R. H., "A heuristic method for identifying modules for product architectures," Design studies, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 5-31, 2000. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0142-694X(99)00003-4 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0142-694X(99)00003-4
- Erixon, G., von Yxkull, A., &Arnstroem, A., "Modularity-the basis for product and factory reengineering," CIRP Annals-Manufacturing Technology, vol. 45, no. 1, pp.1-6, 1996. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0007-8506(07)63005-4 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0007-8506(07)63005-4
- Holtta, K., Tang, V., &Seering, W. P., "Modularizing product architectures using dendrograms," DS 31: Proceedings of ICED 03, the 14th International Conference on Engineering Design, Stockholm, 2003.
- Ericsson, A. &Erixon, G., Controlling design variants: modular product platforms, Society of Manufacturing Engineers, 1999.