- Volume 17 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
The Impact of Consumers' Should-expectation and Will-expectation on Consumer Satisfaction: Focusing on Emotional and Rational Expectancy Disconfirmation
규범적 기대와 예언적 기대가 소비자 만족에 미치는 영향: 감정적 vs. 이성적 기대불일치를 중심으로
- Park, Do-Hyung (School of Management Information Systems, Kookmin University) ;
- Lee, Dongwon (School of Business Administration, Hansung University) ;
- Chung, Jaekwon (School of Business Administration, Kookmin University)
- Received : 2016.05.25
- Accepted : 2016.07.07
- Published : 2016.07.31
Consumer expectation is divided into rational and emotional components with regard to the experience of products or services. The purpose of this study is to investigate the relationship between these two types of expectations and consumer satisfaction. For the theoretical framework, we use the dual expectation theory with respect to the should-expectation and will-expectation, and verify their effects on consumer satisfaction. The findings of this study imply that under rational expectation, consumer satisfaction increases when the result of their experience exceeds their expectation and the impact is stronger when the will-expectation is satisfied. Under emotional expectation, consumer satisfaction increases when the should-expectation exceeds the result of the actual performance, but decreases when there is disaccord between the will-expectation and performance. For emotional-based expectation, the impact on consumer satisfaction is stronger for should-expectancy disconfirmation than for will-expectancy disconfirmation.
- G.A. Churchill, C. Surprenant, "An Investigation into the Determinants of Customer Satisfaction," Journal of Marketing Research, Vol.19, No.4, pp.491-504, 1982. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/3151722 https://doi.org/10.2307/3151722
- D.K. Tse, P.C. Wilton, "Models of Consumer Satisfaction Formation: An Extension," Journal of Marketing Research, Vol.25, No.2, pp.204-212, 1988. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/3172652 https://doi.org/10.2307/3172652
- C. Fornell, M.D. Johnson, E.W. Anderson, J. Cha, B.E. Bryant, "The American Customer Satisfaction Index: Nature, Purpose, and Findings," Journal of Marketing, Vol.60, pp.7-18. October, 1996. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/1251898 https://doi.org/10.2307/1251898
- W.O. Bearden, J.E. Teel, "Selected Determinants of Consumer Satisfaction and Complaint Eeports," Journal of Marketing Research, Vol.20, No.1, pp.21-28, 1983. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/3151408 https://doi.org/10.2307/3151408
- J.C. Sweeney, G.N. Soutar, L.W. Johnson, "The Role of Perceived Risk in the Quality-value Relationship: A Study in a Retail Environment," Journal of Retailing, Vol.75, No.1, pp.77-105, 1999. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0022-4359(99)80005-0 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-4359(99)80005-0
- V.A. Zeithaml, "Consumer Perceptions of Price, Quality and Value: A Means-end Model and Synthesis of Evidence," Journal of Marketing, Vol.52, pp.2-22, July, 1988. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/1251446 https://doi.org/10.2307/1251446
- K. Ryu, H. Han, "Influence of the Quality of Food, Service, and Physical Environment on Customer Satisfaction and Behavioral Intention in Quick-casual Restaurants: Moderating Role of Perceived Price," Journal of Hospitality & Tourism Research, Vol.34, No.3 pp.310-329, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/1096348009350624 https://doi.org/10.1177/1096348009350624
- C. Salvador, E. Rebolloso, B. Fernandez-Ramirez, Maria del Pilar Canton, "Service Price Components and Their Relationship with Customer Satisfaction," Journal of Revenue and Pricing Management, Vol.6, No.1, pp.40-50, 2007. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1057/palgrave.rpm.5160057 https://doi.org/10.1057/palgrave.rpm.5160057
- S. Sumaedi, I.G.M. Bakti, N. Metasari, "The Effect of Students' Perceived Service Quality and Perceived Price on Student Satisfaction," Management Science and Engineering, Vol.5, No.1, pp.88-97, 2011.
- W. Ulaga, S. Chacour, "Measuring Customer-perceived Value in Business Markets - A Prerequisite for Marketing Strategy Development and Implementation," Industrial Marketing Management, Vol.30, No.6, pp.525-540, 2001. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0019-8501(99)00122-4 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0019-8501(99)00122-4
- W.B. Dodds, K.B. Monroe, "The Effect of Brand and Price Information on Subjective Product Evaluations," Advances in Consumer Research, Vol.12, No.1, pp.85-90, 1985.
- W.B. Dodds, K.B. Monroe, D. Grewal, "Effect of Price, Brand, and Store Information on Buyers' Product Evaluations," Journal of Marketing Research, Vol.28, No.3, pp.307-319, 1991. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/3172866 https://doi.org/10.2307/3172866
- J.L.M. Tam, "Customer Satisfaction, Service Quality and Perceived Value: An Integrative Model," Journal of Marketing Management, Vol.20, No.7-8, pp.897-917, 2004. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1362/0267257041838719 https://doi.org/10.1362/0267257041838719
- E.W. Anderson, C. Fornell, The Customer Satisfaction Index as a Leading Indicator, pp. 255-267 in: Handbook of Service Marketing & Management. Swartz, Teresa and Dawn Lacobucci (ed). California: Sage Publications, Inc, 2000.
- M.J. Bitner, "Evaluating Service Encounters: The Effects of Physical Surroundings and Employee Responses," Journal of Marketing Research, Vol.54, No.2, pp.69-82, 1990. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/1251871 https://doi.org/10.2307/1251871
- K.B. Clow, D.L. Kurtz, J. Ozment, B.S. Ong, "The Antecedents of Consumer Expectations of Services, and Empirical Study Across Four Industries," Journal of Service Marketing, Vol.11, No.4, pp.230-248, 1997. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/08876049710171704 https://doi.org/10.1108/08876049710171704
- R.L Oliver, "A Cognitive Model of the Antecedents and Consequences of Satisfaction Decisions", Journal of Marketing Research, Vol.17, No.4, pp.460-469, 1980. https://doi.org/10.2307/3150499
- V.A. Zeithaml, L.L. Berry, A. Parasuraman, "The Nature and Determinants of Customer Expectations of Service," Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Vol.21, No.1, pp.1-12, 1993. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0092070393211001 https://doi.org/10.1177/0092070393211001
- D.M. Szymanski, D.H. Henard, "Customer Satisfaction: A Meta-analysis of the Empirical Evidence," Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Vol.29, No.1, pp.16-35, 2001. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/009207030102900102 https://doi.org/10.1177/0092070301291002
- K. Min, J. Song, D. Shin, "It is Fun to Have What I Expected: Asymmetric Influences of Affective Misforecasting on Consumer Product Evaluation," Journal of Consumer Studies, Vol.21, No.3, pp.195-218, 2010.
- D.T. Gilbert, M.J. Gill, T.D. Wilson, "The Future is Now: Temporal Correction in Affective Forecasting," Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Vol.88, No.1, pp.430-444, 2002. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1006/obhd.2001.2982 https://doi.org/10.1006/obhd.2001.2982
- D.M. Phillips, H. Baumgartner, "The Role of Consumption Emotions in the Satisfaction Response," Journal of Consumer Psychology, Vol.12, No.3, pp.243-252, 2002. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1207/S15327663JCP1203_06 https://doi.org/10.1207/S15327663JCP1203_06
- W. Boulding, A. Kalra, R. Staelin, V.A. Zeithmal, "A Dynamic Process Model of Service Quality: From Expectations to Behavioral Intentions," Journal of Marketing Research, Vol.30, No.1, pp.7-27, 1993. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/3172510 https://doi.org/10.2307/3172510
- M. Kalamas, M. Laroche, A. Cezard, "A Model of the Antecedents of Should and Will Service Expectations," Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, Vol.9, No.6, pp.291-308, 2002. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0969-6989(02)00016-4 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0969-6989(02)00016-4
- W-J. Kim, H-S. Kim, H-J. Lee, "A Study on Online Science & Technology Information Service Quality Measurement Using Expectation and Disconfirmation Analysis," Journal of the Korean Society for Information Management, Vol.30, No.2, pp.101-118, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3743/kosim.2013.30.2.101 https://doi.org/10.3743/KOSIM.2013.30.2.101
- P.A. Dion, R.G. Javalgi, J. Dilorenzo-Aiss, "An Empirical Assessment of the Zeithaml, Berry and Parasuraman Service Expectations Model," Service Industries Journal, Vol.18, No.4, pp.66-86, 1998. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/02642069800000042 https://doi.org/10.1080/02642069800000042
- A. Parasuraman, V.A. Zeithaml, L.L. Berry, "A Conceptual Model of Service Quality and Its Implications for Future Research," Journal of Marketing, Vol.49, No.4, pp.41-50, 1985. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/1251430 https://doi.org/10.2307/1251430
- Y. Yi, L. Suna, "The Relationship of Customer Satisfaction, Adjusted Expectation and Repurchase Intention: The Moderating Role of Customer Loyalty," Journal of Consumer Studies, Vol.13, No.3, pp.51-78, 2002.
- D.T. Gilbert, E.C. Pinel, T.D. Wilson, S.J. Blumberg, T.P. Wheatley, "Immune Neglect: A Source of Durability Bias in Affective Forecasting," Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol.75, No.3, pp.617-638, 1998. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0022-35220.127.116.117 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3518.104.22.1687
- V.M. Patrick, D.J. Macinnis, C.W. Park, "Not as Happy as I Thought I' be? Affective Misforecasting and Product Evaluations," Journal of Consumer Research, Vol.33,, pp.479-489, March, 2007. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1086/510221 https://doi.org/10.1086/510221
- S. Seo, N. Yun, H. Seo, C.E. Wu, "Taiwanese's' Should Expectation and Will Expectation to Korean Foods Restaurants," Journal of Tourism Science, Vol.36, No.4, pp.211-231, 2012.
- D. Park, J. Chung, "The Effect of Consumers' Should-expectation and Will-expectation on Consumer Satisfaction: Focusing on Regulatory Focus," Journal of the Korean Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, Vol.16, No.12, pp.8462-8471, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.12.8462 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.12.8462
- R.J. Rydell, A.R. McConnell, D.M. Mackie, "Consequences of Discrepant Explicit and Implicit Attitudes: Cognitive Dissonance and Increased Information Processing," Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, Vol.44, No.6, pp.1526-1532, 2008. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jesp.2008.07.006 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jesp.2008.07.006
- D. Keltner, R.J. Robinson, "Defending the Status Quo: Power and Bias in Social Conflict," Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, Vol.23, No.10, pp.1066-1077, 1997. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/01461672972310007 https://doi.org/10.1177/01461672972310007
- Y-S. Yoon, M-K. Park, "The Determinative Factors of Consumer Behavior in the Spectator of the Pro-sports," Korean Journal of Sport Management, Vol.9, No.3, pp.107-122, 2004.