- Volume 17 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Effects of Nurses' Transformational Leadership on Job Attitude : The mediating Effects Psychological Capital
간호사가 지각하는 변혁적 리더십이 일의 의미와 이직 의도에 미치는 영향 : 심리적 자본 매개 효과
- Jeon, Jeong-Min (Sahmyook University, Graduate School of Business) ;
- Lee, Kang-Sung (Sahmyook University, Dept. of Business Administration) ;
- Park, Chul-Ju (Sahmyook University, Dept. of Business Administration) ;
- Woo, Hee-Yeong (Merck)
- Received : 2016.06.09
- Accepted : 2016.07.07
- Published : 2016.07.31
The purpose of this study was to explore the effects of transformational leadership as perceived by nurses working in medical institutions on their work attitudes using psychological capital as a mediating variable. Subjects were 201 nurses working in three general hospitals located in Seoul with more than 300 beds, and SPSS Windows 20.0 and AMOS 20.0 were used for data analysis. As the results of the analysis, transformational leadership had direct effects on psychological capital (.68, p=.007), turnover intention (-.34, p=.008), and meaning of work (.11, p=.007), whereas psychological capital had direct effects on meaning of work (.26, p=.009) and turnover intention (-.07, p=.041). In addition, transformational leadership had indirect effects on turnover intention (-.05, p=.087) and meaning of work (.18, p=.004). The results of this study can be used as a base material in the development of programs to exert positive effects on nurses' work attitudes.
- H. Y, Woo, "Effects of the Authentic Leadership and Organizational Culture Perceived by Nurses on Job Attitude: Focused on the Mediating Effects of Psychological Capital and LMX", Unpublished master thesis, Kyung Hee University, Seoul, 2015.
- N. S. Ha, J. Choi, "The Relation ship Among Leadership Styles of Nurse Managers, Job Satisfaction, Organizational Commitment, and Turnover Intention", Journal of Korean of Academy of Nursing, 2002.
- A. Newman, U. Deniz, Z. Fei, H. Giles, "Psychological capital : A review and synthesis", Journal of Organizational Behavior, Vol.35, No.1, pp. 120-138, Jan, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/job.1916 https://doi.org/10.1002/job.1916
- M. F. Steger, J. Matthew, Bundick, and David Yeager, "Meaning in life", Encyclopedia of Adolescence. Springer US, pp. 1666-1677, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4419-1695-2_316 https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4419-1695-2_316
- M. F. Steger, B. J. Dik, R. D. Duffy, "Measuring meaningful work: The work and meaning inventory(WAMI)", Journal of Career Assessment, Vol.20, No.3, pp. 322-337, Feb, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/1069072711436160 https://doi.org/10.1177/1069072711436160
- B. J. Han, "A Study on the Mediating Effects of LMX and Psychological Capital between Authentic Leadership and Organizational Commitment", Journal of korea academy of organization and management, Vol.3, pp. 125-153, 2013.
- J. Bruce, Avolio, Z. Weichun, K. William, B. Puja, "Transformational leadership and organizational commitment: Mediating role of psychological empowerment and moderating role of structural distance", Journal of organizational behavior, Vol. 25, NO.8, pp. 951-968, 2004. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/job.283 https://doi.org/10.1002/job.283
- D. S. Lee, Y. D. Choe, "A Study on Antecedents and Consequences of Positive Psychological Capital in Organizations", Journal of Korean Academic Society of Business Administration, Vol.39, No.1, pp. 1-28, 2010.
- H. Y. Lee, Y. C. Jang, "A Study on the Influence of Transformational Leadership on Organizational Effectiveness" Journal of korea academy of organization and management, 28, 215-247, 2004.
- S. G. Park, S. H. Lim, "A Study on the Effects of Leadership Types of Middle Manager in Hospital Organization on Organizational Effectiveness" The Korean-Japanese Economics & Management Association, vol.65 77-103, 2014.
- J. Burns, Avolio, "Leadership: Transformational leadership, transactional leadership", 1978. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4135/9781412952392.n356 https://doi.org/10.4135/9781412952392.n356
- O. S. Hong, H. S. Yang, "A Study on the Influence of Transformational leadership on the Job satisfaction, Organizational commitment and Innovational behavior", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol.11, No.10, pp. 3707-3720, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2010.11.10.3707 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2010.11.10.3707
- S. G. Kim, Y. S. Seo, "Mediating Effect of Social capital between Transformational leadership and Organizational Commitment of Nurses in Hospitals", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol.17, No.2, pp. 282-289, 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.2.282 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.2.282
- M. Y. Lee, and K. H. Kim, "Influence of Head Nurses' Transformational Leadership on Staff Nurse's Psychological Well-being, Stress and Somatization - Focused on the Mediating Effect of Positive Psychological Capital", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, Vol.18, No.2, pp. 166-175, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2012.18.2.166 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2012.18.2.166
- K. G. Joreskog, D. Sorbom, "Structural equation modeling with the SIMPLIS command language", Scientific Software International, LISREL.8, 1993.
- H. T. Park, "Transformational and transactional leadership styles of the nurse administrators and job satisfaction, organizational commitment in nursing service", The Journal of Nurses Academic Society Vol.27, No.1, pp. 228-241, 1997. https://doi.org/10.4040/jnas.19220.127.116.11
- F. Luthans, B. J. Avolio, J. B. Avey, S. M. Norman, "Positive psychological capital: Measurement and relationship with performance and satisfaction", Personnel psychology, Vol.60, No.3, pp. 541-572, Sep, 2007. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1744-6570.2007.00083.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1744-6570.2007.00083.x
- W. H. Mobley, S. O. Horner, A. T. Hollingsworth, "An evaluation of precursors of hospital employee turnover", Journal of Applied psychology, Vol.63, No.4, pp. 408-414, 1978. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.63.4.408 https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.63.4.408
- Y. S. Kim, "This study has the objective to develop direct & indirect mediation for reduction of job stress, exhaustion and turnover intention by the examination of job stress to influence exhaustion and turnover intention based on understanding of nurses' job stress", Kyung Hee University, Seoul, 2011.
- C. I. Lee, "The Effects of Transformational Leadership on the Organizational Effectiveness : Focused on the Mediating Role of Psychological Capital and Attitudes", Ulsan Univ, 2010.
- C. H. Lee, H. S. Kang, C. G. Heo, "The Effect of Transformational Leadership and Transactional Leadership on Work Engagement: The Mediating Effect of Psychological Capital", Korean Psychological Society, Vol.25, No.1, pp. 149-169, 2012.
- J. H. Jang, "Mediating Effects of Psychological Capital on the Relationships between Transformational Leadership and Job Involvement, and Innovative Behavior", Liberal and social science research laboratory at Honam University, pp. 293-327, 2013.
- B. C. Lee, C. I. Lee, "A Study on the Effects of Psychological Capital on Job Satisfaction and Organizational Citizenship Behavior in Local Officers", Organization Review, Vol.13, No.3, pp. 67-85, 2009.
- F. Luthans, S. M. Norman, B. J. Avolio, J. B. Avey, "The mediating role of psychological capital in the supportive organizational climate - employee performance relationship", Journal of Organizational Behavior, Vol.29, No.2, pp. 219-238, 2008. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/job.507 https://doi.org/10.1002/job.507
- S. C. Yoon, J. H. Lee, S. Y Woo, Y. J. Ha, "The Effect of Calling on Organizational Commitment and Turnover Intention - The Mediated Effect of Psychological Capital and Organizational Identification and the Moderating Effect of Transformational Leadership and Perceived Supervisor Support", Human resources management studies, Vol.20, No.4, pp. 61-86, 2013.
- J. M. Lee, "Influence of Transformational Leadership of Unit Manager on Nurses' Job Satisfaction and Turnover Intention", Unpublished master, Sook myung woman University, Seoul, 2012.
- Types of Perception toward Ethical Issues in Perioperative Nurses: Q-Methodological Approach vol.48, pp.6, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2018.48.6.679