- Volume 17 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Pre-post comparison Analysis of Patient assessment education for Emergency Medical Technicians(EMTs)
구급대원을 대상으로 한 환자평가 교육 전·후 수행도의 비교
- Lee, Moo-Sang (Department Of Public Health, Ajou University Graduate School Of Public Health) ;
- Lee, Seul-Ki (Department Of Emergency Medical Technology, Dong-Eui Institute Of Technology) ;
- Kim, Gi-Woon (Department Of Emergency Medicine, Sooncheonhyang University Hospital Bucheon Gyeonggido)
- Received : 2016.05.24
- Accepted : 2016.07.07
- Published : 2016.07.31
The current study was conducted to make pre-post comparisons of education done for 119 emergency medical technicians (EMT) on the patient assessment performance. The data are expected to offer applicable training methods and educational resources for emergency medical services. Twenty six EMT from four cities and provinces participated in the study, which was carried out from 14 to 17 December, 2015. The technicians performed a patient assessment and marked reports on simulated patients. In the course of the assessment, a pre-post evaluation of education was done using a checklist regarding the respective symptoms, such as headache, chest pain, and dyspnea. The median value (quartile value) was used as the descriptive analysis. While patient assessment scores marked 66 points (54.00-80.25) out of 100 (p<0.01) before education, there was a significant increase in the after-education scores, which reached 88.5 points (80.00-93.00). The patient assessment performances revealed a significant increase (p<.0.01) in 5 chest pain, 7 headache, and 9 dyspnea items after education. Similarly, there was an increase in wanting to meet the EMT again scale in regards to categories involved in developing positive relations with patients. Moreover, the adequacy in the patient condition reports all marked a significant increase (p<0.01) in assessment categories. The present study shows that education based on simulation practices are necessary for improvements in patient assessment performance of 119 EMT. Therefore, practical and systematic patient assessment educations may serve as a prerequisite. Further opportunities should be provided for the EMT consistently.
- Im Taeho, Hong Kijung, Yeom Seokran, Ryu Hyunwook, Cho Jinsung et al. 1-352. 119 paramedics field emergency treatment standard guideline, Ministry of Public Safety and Security, 2015.
- Jang, J. Y., Park, C. B., Lee, E. J., Lee, Y. J., Shin, S. D., & Song, K. J. Diagnostic test performance characteristics of ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction by level 1 emergency medical technicians before vs after an electrocardiogram education program, Journal of the Korean Society of Emergency Medicine, Vol.21, No.5, pp. 539-545, 2010.
- Hee-Jeong Ahn. Prehospital Treatments of the Patient with Hypoglycemia by 119 Emergency Medical Technicians - Analysis of the Current Data and Survey, 1-60. Department of Emergency Medical Service Graduate School of Gongju National University Gongju, Korea, 2010.
- Jeong-MI LEE, Jang-Yeol LEE, Seong-Bin Park, Young-Hoon LEE, Gyung-Jae Oh. Necessity of education for emergency medical technicians to improve awareness of early symptoms of stroke and assessment of stroke patients, Journal Agric Med Community Health. Vol.38, No.2, pp. 130-141, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5393/JAMCH.2013.38.2.130
- Jin-young Kim. A study on the Reinforcement of Ambulance Worker's Professionalism in Connection of the 119 Emergency Services with Community. 1-78. Department of Welfare administration, The Graduate School of Public Administration, Chung-Ang University, 2012.
- Eun, S. J., Kim, H., Jung, K. Y., Cho, K. H., & Kim, Y. Prospective multicenter evaluation of prehospital care by 119 rescue services, Journal of the Korean Society of Emergency Medicine, Vol.18, No.3, pp. 177-189, 2007.
- Ha-Yan Seo, Kyoung-Youl Lee. Analysis of direct medical control conducted to 119 emergency medical technicians in an emergency medical information center, The Korean Journal of Emergency Medical Services Vol. 16, No.3, pp. 29-43, 2012.
- Jaeseon Choei, Hongpil Kim, Yeonggeun Hong. 2015 fire administration data and statistics, pp. 196-217. MPSS(Ministry of Public Safety and Security), 2015.
- Rho, S., Lee, J., & Kim, J. A research on the actual condition of the prehospital emergency care and education in 119 emergency medical services, Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, Vol.13, No.5, pp. 2117-2124, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.5.2117 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.5.2117
- Jeong, J. S., Hong, K. J., Shin, S. D., Suh, G. J., & Song, K. J. Evaluation of the appropriateness of prehospital emergency care by 119 rescue services in seoul metropolitan area, Journal of the Korean Society of Emergency Medicine, Vol.19, No.3, pp. 233-244, 2008.
- You, K. C., Park, S. H., Kang, M. S., Kim, J. H., Kang, G. H., Ahn, M. E., et al. An analysis of prehospital care by 119 rescue services, Journal of the Korean Society of Emergency Medicine, Vol.17, No.2, pp. 99-106, 2006.
- Sang-Gyun Roh. A Survey on Emergency Medical Service of Cerebral Infarction, Proceeding of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society. Vol.2012, No.5, pp. 60-63, 2012.
- Sang-Gyun Roh, Jae-Gook Lee. A Study of an Actual Condition and Improvement on the Emergency Treatment in the 119 EMS, Proceeding of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society. Vol.2011, No.12, pp. 185-188, 2011.
- Kim, S. C., Lee, J. H., Lee, E, J., Kim, K. S., Kim, Y. J., Shin, S. D., et al. A pilot study on the effect of hospitalbased emergency medical technician training on improving the quality of prehospital assessment and intervention, Journal of the Korean Society of Emergency Medicine, Vol.17, No.6, pp. 528-538, 2006.
- French, S. C., Chan, S. B., & Ramaker, J. Education on prehospital pain management: A follow up study, Western Journal of Emergency Medicine, Vol.14, No.2, pp. 96-102, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5811/westjem.2012.7.6678 https://doi.org/10.5811/westjem.2012.7.6678
- Noh, K., Jeong, J., Kim, Y. J., Rhee, J. E., Hong, J. S., & Park, K. H. The effect and satisfaction level of an out-of-hospital delivery and neonatal care education program for emergency medical service providers, Journal of the Korean Society of Emergency Medicine. Vol.24, No.6, pp. 674-683, 2013.
- Bryan E. Bledose, Robert S. Porter, Richard A. Cherry. Paramedic Care Principles & Practice v.3 : Medicine. 3th ed., pp. 1-341. Hanmi Medical Publishing, 2013.
- Bryan E. Bledose, Robert S. Porter, Richard A. Cherry. Paramedic care : principles & practice. v.4 : Medicine. 4th ed, 1-821. Hanmi Medical Publishing, 2014.
- Sang-Gyun Roh. A Survey on Prehospital Emergency Medical Service for the Improvement of Acut Coronary Syndrome Assessments -Focus on the Jecheon.Danyang Area-, Journal of the korean Institute of Fire Sci & Eng, Vol.22, No.3, pp. 293-299, 2008.
- McKenna, K. D., Carhart, E., Bercher, D., Spain, A., Todaro, J., & Freel, J. Simulation use in paramedic education research (SUPER): A descriptive study, Prehospital Emergency Care, Vol.19, No.3, pp. 432-440, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3109/10903127.2014.995845 https://doi.org/10.3109/10903127.2014.995845
- Hyo-Ju Lee, Keun-Ja Cho. Comparison of knowledge level of triage in 119 EMTs. The Korean Journal of Emergency Medical Services, Vol.18, No.1, pp. 43-54, 2014. https://doi.org/10.14408/KJEMS.2014.18.1.043
- Hyeong-Wan Yun, Eun-Yeong Yu, Young-Hyun Yun. Comparison of Educational Effects of Difficult Endotracheal Intubation in the 119 Rescue Service, The Journal of the Korea Contents Association. Vol.11, No.1, pp. 254-265, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2011.11.1.254 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2011.11.1.254
- Yong-ju Kang, Eun-suk Choei. The Level of Awareness and Practice in Prehospital Emergency Patient Assessment and Emergency Care of Paramedic in Fire Station, The Journal of the Korean Society of Emergency Medical Technology. Vol.15, No.2, pp. 67-84, 2011.
- Geun Lee, Sang-do Shin. Pre-hospital.Transfer stage Emergency Medical adequacy analysis, pp. 19-28. Ministry of Health and Welfare, 2009.
- Jin-young Park, Yang-Ho Choi, Bong-chul Kim. Comparative Analysis of Doctor-patient Perception on Physician-patient Relationship. The Journal of the Korea Contents Association. Vol.17, No.1, pp. 30-54, 2015.
- Jee-Hee Kim. Mannequin Simulation in the Health Science, Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol.2, No.2, pp. 67-71, 2011.