- Volume 17 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Analysis of Effect of Fuel Additive on Soot Suppression Using Laser Scattering Technique
광 산란 기술을 이용한 연료 첨가제의 그을음 억제 효과 분석
- Seo, Hyoungseock (Ocean ICT & Advanced Materials Technology Research Division, RIMS) ;
- Kim, Kibum (Department of Mechanical Engineering, Chungbuk National University)
- Received : 2016.05.16
- Accepted : 2016.07.07
- Published : 2016.07.31
This paper presents an experimental analysis of the growth and oxidation processes of soot particles generated in an isooctane diffusive laminar flame due to incomplete combustion. The effects of iron-based diagnostics were employed to measure the elastic scattering light from soot particles in a flame at different flame heights, and the differential scattering coefficients were calculated through a calibration process. The growth and oxidation of soot particles in flame was investigated by comparing differential scattering coefficients, and the soot volume fraction was seen to decrease in the soot oxidation process. In the same manner, the differential scattering coefficients were calculated for iron-based fuel-additive seeded flame, and these coefficients were revealed to be smaller than those obtained in the fuel-additive unseeded flame. In addition, transmission through the radial direction of the flame was measured, and transmission in the soot oxidation regime was approximately 5% higher for the seeded flame. The propensity of the data coincided well with the differential scattering coefficients, and it can be concluded that the iron component of the fuel additive plays a crucial role as a catalyst, which eventually enhanced soot particle oxidation.
Supported by : 충북대학교
- G. H. Choi, Y. J. Chung, J. M. Kim,, R. W. Dibble, S. B. Han, "Basic Performance Characteristics of HCCI (Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition) Engine", Journal of Energy Engineering, 14(4), pp.226-231, 2005.
- S. M. Kim, D. W. Kim, D. S. Yum, H. K. Kim, S. W. Chun, J. H. Ryu, W. K. Lee, "A Study on the PM Exhaust Characteristics of Diesel Urban Bus According to Diesel Particulate Filter", Proc. of 47th Meeting of KOSAE, 2008.
- K. B. Kim, K. A. Masiello, D. W. Hahn, "Reduction of Soot Emissions by Iron Pentacarbonyl in Isooctane Diffusion Flames", Combustion and Flame, 154, pp.164-180, 2008. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.combustflame.2008.01.011 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.combustflame.2008.01.011
- P. A. Bonczyk, "Effect of Ferrocene on Soot in a Prevaporized Isooctane/Air Diffusion Flame", Combustion and Flame, 87, pp.233-244, 1991. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0010-2180(91)90110-W https://doi.org/10.1016/0010-2180(91)90110-W
- K. B. Kim, "Interaction of Iron Species and Soot Particles in an Isooctane Diffusion Flame", Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, University of Florida, Gainesville (2006).
- E. W. Lemmon, M. O. McLinden, D. G. Friend, "Thermophysical Properties of Fluid Systems, NIST Chemistry WebBook, NIST Standard Reference Database, 69, 2003.