- Volume 17 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Relationship among Emotional Intelligence, Critical thinking and Major satisfaction in Nursing students
간호대학생의 감성지능, 비판적 사고성향, 전공만족도와의 관계
- Kim, Young-Soon (Department of Nursing Busan Institute of Science and Technology) ;
- Oh, Eun-Ju (Department of Nursing Changshin University)
- Received : 2016.04.15
- Accepted : 2016.07.07
- Published : 2016.07.31
To provide baseline data for interventions to improve nursing students' satisfaction with their major, this descriptive correlational study analyzed the relationships among emotional intelligence, critical thinking, and major satisfaction. To set up the research data, questionnaires were collected from 232 nursing students in 3 nursing colleges of cities K and B from May 15th, 2014 to June 15th, 2014. SPSS 21.0 was used to analyze the data for the descriptive statistics, t-test, ANOVA, Scheffe's test, and Pearson correlation coefficients. The results are as follows. First, the mean scores of emotional intelligence (4.93), critical thinking (3.43), and major satisfaction (3.76) were above the moderate level but showed significant differences according to gender, grades, and motivations for choosing the major and challenges in college life. Positive correlations were observed among emotional intelligence, critical thinking, and major satisfaction Therefore, when designing an intervention program to improve the major satisfaction, it is recommended to consider a plan that enables them to develop emotional intelligence and critical thinking.
- S. J. Lee, J. H. Yu, "The Mediation Effect of Self-Efficacy between Academic and Career Stress and Adjustment to College", Journal of Korean Educational Psychology, 22(3), pp. 589-607, 2008.
- I. Y. Cho, "The Relationship of Career Identity, Major Satisfaction and College Adaptation of Nursing Freshmen"Journal of Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society 15(5), pp. 2937-2945, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.5.2937 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.5.2937
- I. Oh. Moon, G. W. Lee, "The Effect of Satisfaction in Major and Career Search Efficacy on Career Search Behavior in Nursing Students" Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, 16(1), pp. 83-91, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2010.16.1.083 https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2010.16.1.083
- Y. K. Au, "Mediating Effect of Career Decision-making Skill on a College Student's Career Maturation and Career Preparation Behavior", The korean Journal of Educational Psychology, 24(4), pp. 1029-1046, 2010.
- H. S. Ha, "A Study of Department Satisfaction and School Satisfaction of Undergraduate Students", Unpublished master's thesis, Seoul National University, Seoul, 1999.
- G. Y. Joo, Y. S. Choi, "Stress Emotional Intelligence, Academic Achievement of Nursing Students", Journal of Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, 16(11), pp. 7300-7309, 2015 DOI:http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.11.7300 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.11.7300
- J. E. Song, H. J. Chae, "Differences in Stress and Stress Coping Strategies according to Emotional Intelligence in Nursing Students", Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, 20(4), pp. 502-512, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5977/jaasne.2014.20.4.502 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2014.20.4.502
- K. H. Kim, H. S. Ha, "A Study of Department Satisfaction Factors of Undergraduate Students", Journal of Korea counselling, 1(1), pp. 7-20, 2000.
- J. S. Jung, M. J. Jeong, I. Y. Yoo, "Relations between Satisfaction in Major, Career Decision-making Self-efficacy and Career Identity of Nursing Students" Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, 20(1), pp. 27-36, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2014.20.1.27 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2014.20.1.27
- C, S, Wong, K. S. Law, "The effects of leader and follower emotional intelligence on performance and attitude :An exploratory study," The leadership Quarterly, Vol.13, No.3, pp.243-274, 2002. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S1048-9843(02)00099-1 https://doi.org/10.1016/S1048-9843(02)00099-1
- R. Fernandez, Y. Salamonson, R. Griffiths, "Emotional intelligence as a predictor of Academic Performance in First year Accelerated Graduate Entry Nursing Students, Journal of Clinical Nursing, 21, pp.3485-3492, 2012. DOI:http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2702.2012.04199.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2702.2012.04199.x
- O. S. Lee, M. O. Gu, "The Relationship between Emotional intelligence and Communication skill, Clinical competence & Clinical practice stress in Nursing Students", Journal of Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, 14(6), pp. 2749-2759, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5962/KAIS.2013.14.6.2749 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.6.2749
- N. C. Facione, P. A. Facione, & C. A. Sanchez, "Critical thinking disposition as a measure of competent clinical judgement: The development of the california critical thinking disposition inventory," Journal of Nurs Education, 33(38), pp. 345-350, 1994.
- M. S. Jung, H. J. Kwon, "A Structural Equation Model on Core Competencies of Nursing Students," Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, 21(2), pp. 256-265, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2015.21.2.256 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2015.21.2.256
- S. H. Lee, S. E. Chung, "Influencing Factors of Critical Thinking Disposition and Self-esteem on Communication Competence among Nursing Students", Journal of Korea Contents Society, 14(12), pp. 340-3349 2014.
- J. Y. Lee, Y. M. Lee, S, Y. Pak, M. J. Lee, Y .H. Jung, "Effect of Critical Thinking Disposition on Emotional Regulation, Perceived Stress and Communication Competence among Nursing Students," Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, 19(4), pp 606-616, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2013.19.4.606 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2013.19.4.606
- H. W. Jung, "An Empirical study on the effect or emotional intelligence on organizational effectiveness", Busan National University, Unpublished master's thesis, 2007.
- I. S. Kwon, G. E. Lee, G. D. Kim, Y. H. Kim, K. M. Park, H. S. Park, S. K. Sohn, W. S. Lee, K. S Jang, B. Y. Chung, "Development of a Critical Thinking Disposition Scale for Nursing Students", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 36(6), pp 950-958, 2006. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2006.36.6.950
- D. J. Lee, "The relationships among satisfaction in major, gender identity, and gender stereotypes of male nursing students", Unpublished master's thesis, Yonsei University, Seoul, 2004
- E. J. Sin, Y. S. Park, "Emotional Intelligence, Ego Resilience, Stress in Clinical Practice of Nursing Students", Journal of Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society 14(11), pp. 5636-5645, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.11.5636 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.11.5636
- M. S .Lee, Y. O. Ha, "Critical Thinking Disposition, Professional Self-Concept and Satisfaction of Clinical Practice in Nursing Students", Journal of Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society 16(12), pp.8738-8744, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.12.8738 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.12.8738
- J. Yoon, "A Study on the Critical Thinking Disposition of Nursing Students : Focusing on a School Applying Integrated Nursing Curriculum", Journal of Korean Nursing Administration Academic Society, 14(2), pp. 159-166, 2008.
- J. I. Kim, "Critical Thinking Disposition, Professional Self-Concept and Moral sensitivity in Nursing students", Journal of Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society16(9), pp. 6053-6060, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5962/jkasne.2015.16.9.6053 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.9.6053
- D. J. Kim, J. S. Lee, "Influence of Ego-Resilience and Self-Efficacy on Satisfaction in major of Nursing Student", Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, 20(2), pp. 244-254, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2014.20.2.244 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2014.20.2.244
- B. S. Park, Hana. Cho, Park, B. J. "Relationship of Critical Thinking Disposition, Self-estee and Job-seeking Stress of Nursing Students," Journal of Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, 16(3), pp.1109-1117 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.2.1109 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.2.1109
- I.S. Kim, Y, K. Jang, S. H. Park, S. H. Song, "Critical thinking disposition, stress of clinical practice and clinical competence of nursing students", Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, 17(3), pp.33-345, 2011.
- O. S. Lee, M. O. Gu, Kim, M, J. "Influence of Critical Thinking Disposition and Emotional Intelligence on Clinical Competence in Nursing Students", Journal of Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, 16(1), pp.380-388, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.1.380 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.1.380
- S. A. Yang, "Critical Thinking Disposition and Problem Solving Ability in Nursing Students", Journal of Korean Nursing Administration Academic Society, 16(4), pp.389-398, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2010.16.4.389 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2010.16.4.389