- Volume 17 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
The Influence of SNS Addiction Tendency and Mental Health on Adjustment to College life
SNS 중독경향성과 정신건강이 대학생활 적응에 미치는 영향
- Baek, Sun-Sook (Division of Nursing, Kunsan National University) ;
- Cho, Ju-Yeon (Division of Nursing, Suwon Science College)
- Received : 2016.03.23
- Accepted : 2016.07.07
- Published : 2016.07.31
The present study evaluated the SNS addiction tendency, mental health, and the student's adjustment to college life to identify the correlations between each of these independent variables on the dependent variable, the adjustment to university life of undergraduate students. Data were collected from 197 subjects in K university of G city, using a self-administered questionnaire. Mental health was negatively correlated with the adaptation to university life. A significant influence of gender and mental health on the adjustment to college life was found in this sample. These findings are expected contribute to understanding and improving the adjustment to college life of undergraduate students. Based on these findings, it will be necessary to improve mental health and multidisciplinary interventions will be needed to support the adjustment to college life in undergraduate students. In addition, these findings would contribute to the development of programs for student's adaptation to college life.
- J. U. Kim, J. H. Kim, "Relationship among parental attachment, social support and adjustment to College life. Journal of the Korea Contents Association. Vol. 13, No. 9, pp. 248-259, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2013.13.09.248 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2013.13.09.248
- H. J. Lee, H. K. Kim, "The Effect of intoxication in SNS stress of university life on the adaption of university life among university students," Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 16, No. 6, pp. 3944-3953, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.6.3944 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.6.3944
- P. J. Lusman, C. J. Sowa and K. J. O'Hara, "Factors influencing college student health: Development of the psychological distress inventory," Journal of Counseling Psychology, Vol 31, pp. 28-55, 1984. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0022-018.104.22.168 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-022.214.171.124
- K. O. Hong, H. W. Kang, "The influence of College students' attachment to parents, their self-efficacy for academic attainment to College life adaptation," The Association of Young Children Studies, Vol. 13, No. 3, pp. 133-144, 2010.
- H. S. Yoon, Y. M. Hwang, D. B. Kim, S. H. Jang, "The effects self-differentiation stress coping methods and mental health on life adjustment in University. The Journal of Korean Educational Forum, Vol. 10, No. 2, pp. 1-25, 2011.
- J. Y. Shin, "The relation of psychological separation from parents, family cohesion and adjustment of College," The research of College Life, Vol. 17, pp. 27-37, 2004.
- H. J. Kwon. "An analysis of the relationship between students adaptation to College and scolastic achievement with the University environment climate perception," Yonsei University, Master's thesis, 2007.
- W. H. Jun, M. J. Jo, H. J. Na, "Relationships between anger expression, social supports and adjustment to College life among nursing students," Journal of the Korea Contents Association, Vol. 15, No. 3, pp. 219-228, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2015.15.03.219 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2015.15.03.219
- S. S. Oh, "A study on the uses and gratifications of twitter and facebook," Hanyang University, Master's thesis, 2010.
- I. S. Lee, J. Y. Cho, "Factors influencing SNS addiction tendency among college students," The Journal of Korean Data Analysis Society, Vol. 14, No. 5(B), pp. 2623-2633, 2012.
- G. Y. Cho, Y. H. Kim, "Factors influencing SNS addiction among University students," The Korean Society for Fisheries and Marine Science Education, Vol. 26, No. 5, pp. 1138-1150, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.13000/JFMSE.2014.26.5.1138 https://doi.org/10.13000/JFMSE.2014.26.5.1138
- S. Y. Lee, H. J. Jun, "Difference in depression and impulsivity depending on hour spent on SNS among Korean adolescents," Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 16, No. 11, pp. 7607-7616, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.11.7607 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.11.7607
- Y. K. Oh, "A study on the influence of SNS addiction tendency on loneliness, depression, interpersonal relationship and social support," Korea Counseling University, Master's thesis, 2012.
- M. R. Lee, H. S. Jeon, "Personal types, ego-resilience, and college adaptation in nursing and health care related students," Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 16, No. 12, pp. 8861-8869, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.12.8861 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.12.8861
- H. J. Jang, Y. K. Kwag, "Comparison of factors associated with smartphone over-Usage: Focusing on self-control, mental health and interrelationship," Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 146-154, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.1.146 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.1.146
- R. W. Baker and B. Siryk, Student adaptation to college questionnaire(SACQ) manual, CA: Western Psychological Services, 1989.
- J. W. Hyun, J. H., Choi, "The effect of perfectionism and evaluative threat on the performance of task," The Korean Psychological Association Symposium, Vol. 1992, No. 1, pp. 463-472, 1992.
- D. I. Kim, Y. J. Chung, J. Y. Lee, M.C. Kim, Y.H. Lee, E. B. Kang, C. M. Keum, J. E. K. Nam, "Development of smartphone addiction proneness scale for adult: self-report," Korea Journal of Counseling, Vol. 13, No. 2, pp. 629-644, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.15703/kjc.13.2.201204.629 https://doi.org/10.15703/kjc.13.2.201204.629
- S. I. Shin, "The validity and reliability of the Korean version of the general health questionnaire: KGHQ-20 & KGHQ-30," Korean Journal of Social Welfare, Vol. 46, pp. 210-235, 2001.
- D. A. Kim, "Effects of College students' leisure motivation and leisure attitudes upon adaptation to College life., The Korea Journal of Sports Science, Vol. 24, No. 21, pp. 267-278, 2015.
- K. H. Byun, "A study of the factors that have an influence for College students from local campus to adapt themselves to campus life," Konkuk University, Master's thesis, 2009.
- S. W. Ha, "The relationships among leisure motivation, leisure involvement and the university life adjustment in leisure activities of university students," Vol. 49, No. 2, pp. 331-342, 2010.
- I. S. Lee, J. Y. Cho, "A study on social networking service addiction and mental health among nursing college students," The Journal of Korean Society for School & Community Health Education, Vol. 25, No. 1, pp. 22-30, 2012.
- Korea Internet & Security Agency. The research of Internet usage, 2013.
- E. Y. Yoo, C. G. Yoon, Y. J. Yang, "The relationship between self-esteem and mental health of college student in some regions," Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, Vol. 13, No. 1, pp. 274-283, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.1.274 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.1.274
- S. H. Cheon, "Relationships among daily hassles, social support entrapment and mental health status by gender in university students," Korean Journal of Womens Health Nursing, Vol. 18, No. 3, pp .223-235, 2012. https://doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2012.18.3.223
- K. J. Im, S. J. Hwang, M. A. Choi, N. R. Seo, S. N. Byun, "The correlation between smartphone addiction and psychiatric symptoms in College students," The Journal of Korean Society for School & Community Health Education, Vol. 26, No. 2, pp. 124-131, 2013.
- E. A Kim, K. I. Park, "Factor affecting adjustment of freshmen nursing students to College life," Journal of Korean Academy Society Nursing Education, Vol. 20, No. 2, pp. 234-243, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2014.20.2.234 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2014.20.2.234