- Volume 17 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Analysis of R&D Time Lag in impacting Firm Value: GMM- PVAR Study
GMM Panel VAR를 이용하여 R&D가 기업 가치에 영향을 미치기까지의 시간 측정 연구
- Yang, Insun (School of Business Administration, Hongik University)
- 양인선 (홍익대학교 경영학부)
- Received : 2016.05.04
- Accepted : 2016.07.07
- Published : 2016.07.31
Most previous studies found a positive relationship between the value of a firm and its R&D investments. This research measures the impact of the timescale of the R&D investment of a firm on its value using panel vector autoregression. By measuring the time required for R&D to impact the value of a firm, this study demonstrates that the lead time is an essential factor in the analysis of the effect of R&D investment on a firm's value. Our study finds that the length of the lead time varies according to the firm's size, industry concentration, and book to market ratio. Firms with a higher industry concentration show a shorter lead time. Also, firms with a larger size and higher book to market ratio generally show a shorter lead time.
Supported by : 홍익대학교
- Chan, S. H., Martin, J.D., and Kensinger, J.W., "Corporate research and development expenditure and share value", Journal of Financial Economics, 26, pp. 255-276, 1990. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0304-405X(90)90005-K https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-405X(90)90005-K
- Johnson, L. D. and Pazderka B.,, "Firm Value and Investment in R&D", Managerial and Decision Economics. 14, pp. 15-24, 1993. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/mde.4090140103 https://doi.org/10.1002/mde.4090140103
- Hall, B. H. and Oriani R., "Does the Market Value R&D Investment by European Firms? Evidence from a Panel of Manufacturing Firms in France, Germany and Italy", International Journal of Industrial Organization, pp. 971-993, 2005.
- Jung, H Y., Chun S. I. and Kim H. J.,, "The Study of the Relationship between R&D Information and the Firm Value: by Industry", Management Study, 2003.
- Yuk, K. H.,"Reanalysis of the Economic Effect of the R&D Investment and Advertisement Expense", Management Study, 18(3), pp. 219-251, 2003.
- Shin, M. S, and Kim, S. E., "The Effects of Firm Characteristics on the Relationship between R&D Investment and Firm Value", Journal of Korea Industrial Economics, Vol.24 No.4, pp. 45-73, 2012.
- Park H. J., and Bae K. S., "The Relationship between R&D Investment Activity and Firm Value", Journal of Korea Tax and accounting, 47, pp. 27-40, 2016.
- Erickson, G., and Jacobson, R., "Gaining comparative advantage through discretionary expenditures: The returns to R&D and advertising," Management Science 38, pp. 1264-1279, 1992. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.38.9.1264 https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.38.9.1264
- Chung K. O., Chang W. K., and Kim Y. Y., "The Effect of R&D and Advertisement Expense on the Firm Value", Korean Journal of Business Administration, 18(5) pp. 1851-1867, 2005.
- Lev, B., and Sougiannis, T., "The capitalization, amortization, and value-relevance of R&D", Journal of Accounting and Economics, 21, pp. 107-138, 1996. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0165-4101(95)00410-6 https://doi.org/10.1016/0165-4101(95)00410-6
- Lee, S. M., "The Study of the Predictive Power of the R&D and Advertisement Expense", Ph.D Thesis, Dankook Univ., 1994.
- Paek, M. J., "The Effect of the R&D Investment on the Profit, Sales, and Stock Price", M.A. Thesis, Yeonsei Univ. pp. 46-53, 1994.
- Cho Y. M., "The Profit of the R&D Expense and the Effect on the Market Value", Ph.D Thesis, Jeonnam Univ., 1998.
- Grabowski, H. G., and Mueller D. G., "Industrial research and development, intangible capital stocks, and firm profit rates", Bell Journal of Economics, 9(2): pp. 328-343, 1978. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/3003585 https://doi.org/10.2307/3003585
- Ravenscraft, D. J., and Scherer F. M., "The Lag Structure of Returns to Research and Development. Applied Economics", 14, pp. 603-620, 1982. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00036848200000036 https://doi.org/10.1080/00036848200000036
- Cho S. P., and Jung J. Y.,"The Multiple Period Profit Analysis of the R&D Expense", Management Research, 30(1), pp. 289-310, 2001.
- Delmonte A., and Papagni, E., "R&D and the growth of firms: empirical analysis of a panel of Italian firms", Research Policy, 32(6), pp. 1003-1014, 2003. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0048-7333(02)00107-5 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0048-7333(02)00107-5
- Connolly R., and Hirschey M., "Firm size and the effect of R&D on Tobin's q", R&D Management, 35(2), pp. 217-223, 2005. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-9310.2005.00384.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-9310.2005.00384.x
- Ho, Y. K., M. Tjahjapranata, and Yap C. M.,"Size, leverage, concentration, and R&D investment in generating growth opportunities", The Journal of Business 79 (2): pp. 851-876, 2006. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1086/499140 https://doi.org/10.1086/499140
- Kim B. K.," The Relationship Between R&D and Firm Value: Focused on Size, Liability and Industry", Korean Corporation and Management Review, 15(1), pp. 25-43, 2008.
- Shah S. Z., Stark A. W., and Akbar S., "Firm size, sector and market valuation of R&D expenditures", Applied Financial Economics Letters, 4(2), pp. 87-91, 2008. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/17446540701537756 https://doi.org/10.1080/17446540701537756
- Kim, S. K., and Yeon, R. M., "Effectiveness of R&D Investment on Enterprise Outcome", Accounting Study, 12(3), pp. 1-31, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11142-006-9020-1
- Ehie, I. C., and Olibe K.,"The effect of R&D investment on firm value: An examination of US manufacturing and service industries", International Journal of Production Economics 128 (1): pp. 127-135, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpe.2010.06.005 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpe.2010.06.005
- Lee J. K., "The Effects of Firm Characteristics on the Relationship between R&D Expenditure and Corporate Value," The Korean Journal of Financial Engineering, 9(2), pp. 77-101, 2010.
- Donelson D., and Resutek R., "The effect of R&D on Future Returns and Earnings Forecast", Review of Account Studies, 17(4), pp. 848-876, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11142-011-9179-y https://doi.org/10.1007/s11142-011-9179-y
- Min B., and Smyth R., "Determinants of R&D intensity and its impact on firm value in an innovative economy in which family business groups are dominant: The case of South Korea," [Internet]available from https://ideas.repec.org/p/mos/moswps/2015-25.html (Accessed June 20, 2016)
- Abrigo R. M. A., and Love, I., "Estimation of Panel Vector Auto-regression in Stata,"[Internet], available from http://paneldataconference2015.ceu.hu/Program/Michael-Abrigo.pdf, (Accessed June 22, 2016)
- Canova F., and Ciccarelli M., "Panel Vector Autoregressive Models", Eurosystem Central Bank Working paper Series, 1507, 2013.
- Love, I., and Zicchino L.,"Financial development and dynamic investment behavior: Evidence from panel VAR", The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance 46 (2): pp. 190-210, 2006. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.qref.2005.11.007 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.qref.2005.11.007
- Pindado, J., Queiroz V-d., and C-d-l. Torre, "How do firm characteristics influence the relationship between R&D and firm value?" Financial Management 39 (2): pp. 757-782, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1755-053X.2010.01091.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1755-053X.2010.01091.x
- Connelly, R., and Hirschey, M., "R&D, Market Structure, and Profits: A value-based Approach", The Review of Economics and Statistics, 66(4), pp. 682-686, Nov. 1984. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/1935995 https://doi.org/10.2307/1935995
- Doukas, J., and Switzer L. N.,"The stock market's view of R&D spending and market concentration", Journal of Economics and Business 44 (2): pp. 95-114, 1992. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0148-6195(92)90009-Y https://doi.org/10.1016/0148-6195(92)90009-Y
- Ryan, H. E, and Wiggins, R. A., "The interactions between R&D investment decisions and compensation policy," Financial Management 31(1), pp. 5-29, 2002. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/3666319 https://doi.org/10.2307/3666319
- Cui, H., and Mak, Y. T., "The relationship between managerial ownership and firm performance in high R&D firms", Journal of Corporate Finance. 8(4), pp. 313-336, 2002. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0929-1199(01)00047-5 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0929-1199(01)00047-5
- Nam, J., Ottoo, R. E., and Thornton, Jr. J.H. (2003). "The effect of managerial incentives to bear risk on corporate capital structure and R&D investment", The Financial Review, 38(1), pp. 77-101, 2003. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/1540-6288.00036 https://doi.org/10.1111/1540-6288.00036