- Volume 17 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
A Study on Enhanced Tubes for Electric Utility Steam Condensers
발전소 수증기 응축기용 전열 촉진관에 대한 연구
- Kim, Nae-Hyun (Department of Mechanical System Engineering, University of Incheon)
- 김내현 (인천대학교 기계시스템공학과)
- Received : 2016.04.06
- Accepted : 2016.07.07
- Published : 2016.07.31
A computer program that simulates electric utility steam condensers was developed, and used to investigate the effects of enhanced tubes in steam condensers. The replacement of smooth tubes with enhanced tubes reduces the steam condensing temperature, and increases the efficiency of the electric utility. Therefore, a significant amount of power may be reserved without any modification of the utility. Three enhanced tubes, corrugated, low fin with internal ribs, and low fin with internal 3-D roughness, were considered. The results showed that there is an optimal internal roughness height. Low fin tubes with a 3-D roughness were superior to the other enhanced geometries. This was attributed to longitudinal vortices generated between the circumferential dimples. An additional 0.5 MW~1.3 MW was possible when smooth tubes were replaced with enhanced tubes in the 600 MW electric utility condenser. The additional power increased with increasing coolant temperature. More investigations on fouling, corrosion, and mechanical properties will be necessary for actual applications of enhanced tubes in electric utility condensers.
- R. L. Webb, N.-H. Kim, "Principles of Enhanced Heat Transfer," 2nd Ed., Taylor and Francis Pub., 2005.
- R. L. Webb, L. L. Haman, T. S. Hui, "Enhanced Tubes in Electric Utility Steam Condensers," in Heat Transfer in Heat Rejection Systems, ASME HTD-vol. 37, pp. 17-26, 1984
- Tapproge, http//www.tapproge.de/, 2016.
- T. Rabas, R. Merring, R. Schaefer, R. Lopez-Gomez, P. Thors, "Heat Rate Improvements Obtained with the Use of Enhanced Tubes in Surface Condensers," Proc. EPRI Condenser Technology Conference, Boston, 1990.
- T. Nosetani, Y. Hatta, S. Sato, K. Onda, T. Nakamura, Y. Kato, "In-Situ Evaluation of Enhanced Heat Transfer Tubes for Surface Condensers," in Heat Transfer Equipment Fundamentals, Design, Applications and Operating Problems, ASME HTD-vol. 108, pp. 97-104, 1989.
- T. Rabas, J. Taborek, "Heat Rate Improvements Obtained by Retubing Condensers with New, Enhanced Tube Types," J. Enhanced Heat Transfer, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 83-94, 1996. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1615/JEnhHeatTransf.v3.i2.20 https://doi.org/10.1615/JEnhHeatTransf.v3.i2.20
- T. Rabas, J. Taborek, "Performance, Fouling and Cost Considerations of Enhanced Tubes in Power-Plant Condensers," J. Enhanced Heat Transfer, vol. 6, pp. 289-315, 1999. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1615/JEnhHeatTransf.v6.i2-4.160 https://doi.org/10.1615/JEnhHeatTransf.v6.i2-4.160
- R. L. Webb, "Enhanced Condenser Tubes in a Nuclear Power Plant for Heat Rate Improvement," Heat Transfer Eng., vol. 32, no. 10, pp. 905-913, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/01457632.2011.562756 https://doi.org/10.1080/01457632.2011.562756
- J. G. Withers, E. H. Young, "Steam Condensing on Vertical Rows of Horizontal Corrugated and Plain Tubes," Ind. Eng. Chem. Process Design Dev., vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 19-30, 1971. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/i260037a004 https://doi.org/10.1021/i260037a004
- H. H. Mehta, M. R. Rao, "Heat Transfer and Friction Characteristics of Spirally Enhanced Tubes for Horizontal Condensers," in Advances in Enhanced Heat Transfer, ASME, pp. 11-22, 1979.
- K. K. Yau, J. R. Cooper, J. W. Rose, "Effect of Fin Spacing on the Performance of Horizontal Integral Fin Condenser Tubes," J. Heat Transfer, vol. 107, pp. 377-383, 1985. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1115/1.3247425 https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3247425
- E. Mitrou, "Film Condensation of Steam on Externally Enhanced Finned Tubes," M.S. Thesis, Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, CA, 1986.
- M. H. Jaber, R. L. Webb, "Enhanced Tubes for Steam Condensers," Exp. Heat Transfer, vol. 6, pp. 35-54, 1993. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/08916159208945368 https://doi.org/10.1080/08916159208945368
- A. Briggs, J. W. Rose, "Condensation Performance of Some Commercial Integral Fin Tubes with Steam and CFC113," Exp. Heat Transfer, vol. 8, pp.131-143, 1995. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/08916159508946496 https://doi.org/10.1080/08916159508946496
- A. K. Das, G. A. Incheck, P. J. Marto, "The Effect of Fin Height During Steam Condensation on a Horizontal Stainless Steel Integral-Fin Tube," J. Enhanced Heat Transfer, vol. 6, pp. 237-250, 1999. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1615/JEnhHeatTransf.v6.i2-4.120 https://doi.org/10.1615/JEnhHeatTransf.v6.i2-4.120
- S. Namasivayam, A. Briggs, "Effect of Vapor Velocity on Condensation of Atmospheric Pressure Sream on Integral-Fin Tubes," Applied Thermal Eng., vol. 24, pp. 1353-1364, 2004. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2003.12.020 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2003.12.020
- C. L. Fitzgerald, A. Briggs, J. W. Rose, H. S. Wang, "Effect of Vapor Velocity on Condensate Retention Between Fins During Condensation on Low-Finned Tubes," Int. J. Heat Mass Trans., vol. 55, pp. 1412-1418, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2011.09.063 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2011.09.063
- H. Honda, S. Nozu, B. Uchima, "A Generalized Prediction Method for Heat Transfer During Film Condensation on a Low Finned Tube," ASME-JSME Thermal Engineering Conference, vol. 4, pp. 385-392, 1987.
- J. W. Rose, "An Approximate Equation for the Vapor-Side Heat Transfer Coefficient for Condensation on Low-Finned Tubes" Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer, vol. 37, pp. 865-875, 1994. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0017-9310(94)90122-8 https://doi.org/10.1016/0017-9310(94)90122-8
- H. Jaber, R. L. Webb, "Steam Condensation on Horizontal Integral Fin Tubes of Low Thermal Conductivity," J. Enhanced Heat Transfer, vol. 3, No. 1, pp. 55-71, 1996. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1615/JEnhHeatTransf.v3.i1.50 https://doi.org/10.1615/JEnhHeatTransf.v3.i1.50
- A. Briggs, "Enhanced Condensation of R-113 and Steam Using Three-Dimensional Pin-Fin Tubes," Exp. Heat Transfer, vol. 16, pp. 61-79, 2003. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/08916150303748 https://doi.org/10.1080/08916150390126469
- M. Baiser, A. Briggs, "Condensation of Steam on Pin-Fin Tubes: Effect of Circumferential Fin Thickness and Spacing," Heat Transfer Eng., vol. 30, no. 13, pp. 2017-1023, 2009. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/01457630902921014 https://doi.org/10.1080/01457630902921014
- H. M. Ali, M. Z. Qasim, "Fee Convection Condensation of Steam on Horizontal Wire Wrapped Tubes: Effect of Wire Thermal Conductivity, Pitch and Diameter," Appl. Therm. Eng., vol. 90, pp. 207-214, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2015.07.006 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2015.07.006
- J. Nikuradse, "Laws of Flow in Rough Pipes," VDI Forshungsheft, NACA TM-1292, 1933.
- D. F. Dipprey, R. H. Sabersky, "Heat and Momentum Transfer in Smooth and Rough Tubes at Various Prandtl numbers," Int. J. Heat Mass Trans., vol. 6, pp. 329-353, 1963. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0017-9310(63)90097-8 https://doi.org/10.1016/0017-9310(63)90097-8
- R. L. Webb, E. R. G. Eckert, R. J. Goldstein, "Heat Transfer and Friction in Tubes with Repeated Rib Roughness," Int. J. Heat Mass Trans., vol. 14, 601-617, 1971. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0017-9310(71)90009-3 https://doi.org/10.1016/0017-9310(71)90009-3
- R. L. Webb, R. Narayanamurthy, P. Thors, "Heat Transfer and Friction Characteristics of Internal Helical Rib Roughness," J. Heat Transfer, vol. 122, pp. 134-142, 2000. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1115/1.521444 https://doi.org/10.1115/1.521444
- M. H. Mehta, M. Raja Rao, "Analysis and Correlation for Turbulent Flow Heat Transfer and Friction Coefficients in Spirally Corrugated Tubes for Steam Condenser Application," Proc. Nat'l Heat Trans. Conf., HTD-96, vol. 3, pp. 307-312, 1988.
- P. G. Vicente, A. Garcia, A. Viedma, "Heat Transfer and Pressure Drop for Low Reynolds Number Turbulent Flow in Helically Dimpled Tubes, Int. J. Heat Mass Trans., vol. 45, pp. 543-553, 2002. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0017-9310(01)00170-3 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0017-9310(01)00170-3