- Volume 22 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Single-Chip Controller Design for Piezoelectric Actuators using FPGA
FPGA를 이용한 압전소자 작동기용 단일칩 제어기 설계
- Yoon, Min-Ho (Department of Aerospace Information Engineering, Konkuk University) ;
- Park, Jungkeun (Department of Aerospace Information Engineering, Konkuk University) ;
- Kang, Taesam (Department of Aerospace Information Engineering, Konkuk University)
- Received : 2016.04.18
- Accepted : 2016.06.13
- Published : 2016.07.01
The piezoelectric actuating device is known for its large power density and simple structure. It can generate a larger force than a conventional actuator and has also wide bandwidth with fast response in a compact size. To control the piezoelectric actuator, we need an analog signal conditioning circuit as well as digital microcontrollers. Conventional microcontrollers are not equipped with an analog part and need digital-to-analog converters, which makes the system bulky compared with the small size of piezoelectric devices. To overcome these weaknesses, we are developing a single-chip controller that can handle analog and digital signals simultaneously using mixed-signal FPGA technology. This gives more flexibility than traditional fixed-function microcontrollers, and the control speed can be increased greatly due to the parallel processing characteristics of the FPGA. In this paper, we developed a floating-point multiplier, PWM generator, 80-kHz power control loop, and 1-kHz position feedback control loop using a single mixed-signal FPGA. It takes only 50 ns for single floating-point multiplication. The PWM generator gives two outputs to control the charging and discharging of the high-voltage output capacitor. Through experimentation and simulation, it is demonstrated that the designed control loops work properly in a real environment.
- T. Furukawa, "Piezoelectricity and pyroelectricity in polymers," Electrical Insulation, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 375-394, 1989. https://doi.org/10.1109/14.30878
- S.-K. Hong, Y.-H. Cho, K.-S. Kim, and T.-S. Kang, "Analog voltage inverter drive for capacitive load with adaptive gain control," International Journal of Electrical and Computer Engineering, vol. 2, no. 8, pp. 1601-1604, 2015.
- H. Park, J. Park, S. Hong, and T. Kang, "Study on high-efficiency driving of a piezo device using voltage inversion circuit," Korean Institute of Electrical Engineers, vol. 61, no. 12, pp. 1843-1847, 2012. https://doi.org/10.5370/KIEE.2012.61.12.1843
- T. Uzunovic, E. Golubovic, and A. Sabanovic, "FPGA based control of a walking piezo motor," Proc. of International Workshop on Advanced Motion Control, Yokohama, Japan, Mar. 2014.
- S.-I. Hwang, H.-M. Ha, and J.-M. Lee, "Balancing and driving control of a mecanum wheel ball robot," Journal of Institute of Control, Robotics and Systems, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 336-341, 2015. https://doi.org/10.5302/J.ICROS.2015.14.0127
- Y. H. Lho, "A study on effective control methodology for DC/DC converter," Journal of Institute of Control, Robotics and Systems, vol. 20, no. 7, pp. 756-759, 2014. https://doi.org/10.5302/J.ICROS.2014.13.8010
- K. Ogata, Modern Control Engineering, 4th Ed, Prentice Hall, New Jersey, 2002.
- J.-S. Lee, Y.-H. Jo, K. Kim, and S.-K. Hong, "The design and the effect of the snubber circuit of the high step-up flyback converter," Proc. of Korean Institute of Electrical, Muju, Korea, pp. 15-17, Jul. 2015.
- B. S. Yoon, J. H. Park, and K. J. Yoon, "Design and fabrication of the muscle mimicking composite actuator for small flying object using single crystal piezoelectric material," Proc. of International Conference on Intelligent Unmanned Systems, Bali, Indonesia, Aug. 2015.
- J. H. Park, B. S. Yoon, and K. J. Yoon, "A study on control surface of small flying object using piezo-composite actuator," Proc. of International Conference on Intelligent Unmanned Systems, Bali, Indonesia, Aug. 2015.
- T. Kang, K. J. Yoon, T.-H. Ha, and G. Lee, "H-infinity control system design for a quad-rotor," Journal of Institute of Control, Robotics and Systems, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 14-20, 2015. https://doi.org/10.5302/J.ICROS.2015.14.9054
- M.-H. Yoon, J. Gu, J. Park, and T. Kang, "Small sized one chip controller design for piezoelectric actuators using FPGA," Proc. of Institute of Control, Robotics and Systems, Seoul, Korea, pp. 231-232, Mar. 2016.